Old May 19th 04, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Congestion charge fine

Hi,
I have just received notice of unpaid congestion charge from TFL. Having
checked my receipts I find that on this day I used a pay machine to pay the
charge. However I have used the incorrect prefix to my registration (PC xxx
xxx instead of BT xxx xxx). This is totally my fault; I confused my new reg
with my previous reg.

Is it worth me appealing this? Do I stand a chance or should I just pay and
learn from my mistake?

Cheers,

Steve

Old May 19th 04, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"SteveTBM" wrote in message
Hi,
I have just received notice of unpaid congestion charge from TFL. Having
checked my receipts I find that on this day I used a pay machine to pay

the
charge. However I have used the incorrect prefix to my registration (PC

xxx
xxx instead of BT xxx xxx). This is totally my fault; I confused my new

reg
with my previous reg.

Is it worth me appealing this? Do I stand a chance or should I just pay

and
learn from my mistake?

Well you *did* pay the congestion charge, even if you attributed it to the
wrong car. That *might* be grounds for appealing for them to be lenient. If
their records show that the car whose reg number you entered was never
detected by any of the cameras, they might believe your explanation.

Old May 20th 04, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message ws.com...
"SteveTBM" wrote in message
[...]

If you decide to appeal? Will you post back here and let us know how
you get on?

This will really reveal to the group a bit about the company (and
motives) behind this scheme......
Old May 21st 04, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"grimmy" wrote in message
m...

If you decide to appeal? Will you post
back here and let us know how you get on?

This will really reveal to the group a bit about
the company (and motives) behind this scheme......

Suppose they refund him. Then imagine if everyone deliberately typed in 1
digit wrong just to get fined and then appeal. This would grind the system
to a halt and maybe even bankrupt Capita. Since the charge is still
controversial, the company will have considered this. While I sympathise
with him, sometimes you just have to pay the fine even though you didn't
really deserve it - like when you lose a train ticket.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 21st 04, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"grimmy" wrote in message
m...

If you decide to appeal? Will you post
back here and let us know how you get on?

This will really reveal to the group a bit about
the company (and motives) behind this scheme......

Suppose they refund him. Then imagine if everyone deliberately typed in 1
digit wrong just to get fined and then appeal. This would grind the system
to a halt and maybe even bankrupt Capita. Since the charge is still
controversial, the company will have considered this. While I sympathise
with him, sometimes you just have to pay the fine even though you didn't
really deserve it - like when you lose a train ticket.

I'd still go ahead and appeal: even if you lose, you will have wasted
Capita's time, which can only be a good thing!

Old May 21st 04, 11:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
"grimmy" wrote in message
m...

If you decide to appeal? Will you post
back here and let us know how you get on?

This will really reveal to the group a bit about
the company (and motives) behind this scheme......

Suppose they refund him. Then imagine if everyone deliberately typed in 1
digit wrong just to get fined and then appeal.

Why on earth would "everyone" do that? Most people are not cheats.

This would grind the system
to a halt and maybe even bankrupt Capita.

If that was going to happen it would have happened already by now.

Since the charge is still
controversial, the company will have considered this. While I sympathise
with him, sometimes you just have to pay the fine even though you didn't
really deserve it - like when you lose a train ticket.

I reckon it might be worth appealing - since it sounds like it is
possible to prove both that you paid and that you don't own a vehicle
with the reg. that you paid for.