London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 8th 21, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,375
Default Johnston font beneath Thames Barrier


This sign looks like Johnston font to me, even though the Thames Barrier
is owned by the Environment Agency, not TfL. Was it ever TfL owned?

https://youtu.be/0ImibAisXN0?t=3389

Mr Wiki he say...

"The barrier was originally commissioned by the Greater London Council
under the guidance of Ray Horner. After the 1986 abolition of the GLC it
was operated successively by Thames Water Authority and then the
National Rivers Authority until April 1996 when it passed to the
Environment Agency."


--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
1975 - Down By The Jetty - Dr. Feelgood

  #2   Report Post  
Old February 8th 21, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 664
Default Johnston font beneath Thames Barrier

Basil Jet wrote on Mon Feb 08 2021 17:20:10 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time) ...

This sign looks like Johnston font to me, even though the Thames Barrier
is owned by the Environment Agency, not TfL. Was it ever TfL owned?

https://youtu.be/0ImibAisXN0?t=3389

Mr Wiki he say...

"The barrier was originally commissioned by the Greater London Council
under the guidance of Ray Horner. After the 1986 abolition of the GLC it
was operated successively by Thames Water Authority and then the
National Rivers Authority until April 1996 when it passed to the
Environment Agency."


It doesn't look like any of the Johnston fonts to me. The 'U' is too condensed, the '9' has a full rounded bottom unlike Johnston, the 'S' is too balanced whereas Johnston has a shorter top section, the 't' horizontal stroke is not wide enough, etc.

--
Richard J.
(to email me, swap 'uk' and 'yon' in address)
  #3   Report Post  
Old February 9th 21, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 92
Default Johnston font beneath Thames Barrier

On 08/02/2021 21:44, Richard J. wrote:
Basil Jet wrote on Mon Feb 08 2021 17:20:10
GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time) ...

This sign looks like Johnston font to me, even though the Thames Barrier
is owned by the Environment Agency, not TfL. Was it ever TfL owned?

https://youtu.be/0ImibAisXN0?t=3389

Mr Wiki he say...

"The barrier was originally commissioned by the Greater London Council
under the guidance of Ray Horner. After the 1986 abolition of the GLC it
was operated successively by Thames Water Authority and then the
National Rivers Authority until April 1996 when it passed to the
Environment Agency."


It doesn't look like any of the Johnston fonts to me.¬* The 'U' is too
condensed, the '9' has a full rounded bottom unlike Johnston, the 'S' is
too balanced whereas Johnston has a shorter top section, the 't'
horizontal stroke is not wide enough, etc.


One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not Johnston.

https://assets.londonist.com/uploads...5/dsc_0049.jpg

PA

  #4   Report Post  
Old February 9th 21, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,375
Default Johnston font beneath Thames Barrier

On 09/02/2021 09:45, Peter Able wrote:
On 08/02/2021 21:44, Richard J. wrote:

It doesn't look like any of the Johnston fonts to me.¬* The 'U' is too
condensed, the '9' has a full rounded bottom unlike Johnston, the 'S'
is too balanced whereas Johnston has a shorter top section, the 't'
horizontal stroke is not wide enough, etc.


One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not Johnston.

https://assets.londonist.com/uploads...5/dsc_0049.jpg


Thanks, both!

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2005 - **** The Golden Youth - The Mint Chicks
  #5   Report Post  
Old February 9th 21, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,122
Default Johnston font beneath Thames Barrier

In message , at 09:51:33 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Basil Jet remarked:

One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not
Johnston.


I was a little surprised that "Sans Serif" as an April Fool, was the
lowest scoring one in yesterday's "Pointless", despite the really heavy
hints in the question about lower/upper case.
--
Roland Perry


  #6   Report Post  
Old February 9th 21, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,703
Default Johnston font beneath Thames Barrier

On 09/02/2021 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:51:33 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Basil Jet remarked:

¬*One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not Johnston.


I was a little surprised that "Sans Serif" as an April Fool, was the
lowest scoring one in yesterday's "Pointless", despite the really heavy
hints in the question about lower/upper case.


Where did the spaghetti harvest come?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

  #7   Report Post  
Old February 9th 21, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,122
Default Johnston font beneath Thames Barrier

In message , at 11:58:43 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Graeme Wall remarked:
On 09/02/2021 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:51:33 on Tue, 9 Feb
2021, Basil Jet remarked:

*One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not
Johnston.


I was a little surprised that "Sans Serif" as an April Fool, was the
lowest scoring one in yesterday's "Pointless", despite the really
heavy hints in the question about lower/upper case.


Where did the spaghetti harvest come?


Much higher (which surprised me because it was significantly earlier).
--
Roland Perry
  #8   Report Post  
Old February 9th 21, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,703
Default Johnston font beneath Thames Barrier

On 09/02/2021 13:49, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:58:43 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Graeme Wall remarked:
On 09/02/2021 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:51:33 on Tue, 9 Feb
2021,¬* Basil Jet remarked:

¬*One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not
Johnston.


¬*I was a little surprised that "Sans Serif" as an April Fool, was the
lowest scoring one in yesterday's "Pointless", despite the really
heavy¬* hints in the question about lower/upper case.


Where did the spaghetti harvest come?


Much higher (which surprised me because it was significantly earlier).


Circa 1957 IIRC whereas San Serif was in the 1970s.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

  #9   Report Post  
Old February 9th 21, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 868
Default Johnston font beneath Thames Barrier

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/02/2021 13:49, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:58:43 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Graeme Wall remarked:
On 09/02/2021 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:51:33 on Tue, 9 Feb
2021,¬* Basil Jet remarked:

¬*One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not
Johnston.


¬*I was a little surprised that "Sans Serif" as an April Fool, was the
lowest scoring one in yesterday's "Pointless", despite the really
heavy¬* hints in the question about lower/upper case.

Where did the spaghetti harvest come?


Much higher (which surprised me because it was significantly earlier).


Circa 1957 IIRC whereas San Serif was in the 1970s.


Yes, 1977:
https://static.guim.co.uk/ni/1454601868089/San-Serriffe-special-report.pdf

Of course, in that era before desktop publishing, few ordinary people knew
much about fonts, let alone about sans-serif font families.

  #10   Report Post  
Old February 10th 21, 06:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,122
Default Johnston font beneath Thames Barrier

In message , at 16:51:03 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Recliner remarked:
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/02/2021 13:49, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:58:43 on Tue, 9 Feb 2021,
Graeme Wall remarked:
On 09/02/2021 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:51:33 on Tue, 9 Feb
2021,* Basil Jet remarked:

*One of the numerous sans serif typefaces, but definitely not
Johnston.

*I was a little surprised that "Sans Serif" as an April Fool, was the
lowest scoring one in yesterday's "Pointless", despite the really
heavy* hints in the question about lower/upper case.

Where did the spaghetti harvest come?

Much higher (which surprised me because it was significantly earlier).


Circa 1957 IIRC whereas San Serif was in the 1970s.


Yes, 1977:
https://static.guim.co.uk/ni/1454601868089/San-Serriffe-special-report.pdf

Of course, in that era before desktop publishing, few ordinary people knew
much about fonts, let alone about sans-serif font families.


You've forgotten about Letraset?
--
Roland Perry


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Johnston font welcome sign at Gainsborough Lea Road Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 20 May 23rd 18 10:38 PM
OT- Thames Barrier Park John Rowland London Transport 5 October 22nd 07 11:06 AM
Thames Barrier Rev. CMOT TMPV London Transport 6 May 15th 06 02:05 PM
Thames Barrier Michael Hoffman London Transport 6 April 17th 06 02:19 AM
Road Sign Font Jonathan Osborne London Transport 9 November 21st 03 01:39 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2021 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017