Old November 20th 03, 05:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Road Sign Font

Hi, does anyone have the font used in UK road signs?

Examples are available at
http://www.publiclettering.org.uk/Roadtrafficsigns.php

Thanks!

Jonathan Osborne

Old November 20th 03, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonathan Osborne wrote:
Hi, does anyone have the font used in UK road signs?

Examples are available at
http://www.publiclettering.org.uk/Roadtrafficsigns.php

They are available to download at
http://www.allan-online.co.uk/transp...ts/index.shtml

The ones you want are Transport Medium and Transport Heavy.
--
Richard J.

Old November 20th 03, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonathan Osborne" wrote in message ...
Hi, does anyone have the font used in UK road signs?

Examples are available at
http://www.publiclettering.org.uk/Roadtrafficsigns.php

Thanks!

Jonathan Osborne

I haven't studied it closely, but it looks like a very good (if not
identical) match at...

http://www.allan-online.co.uk/transp...ransport.shtml
Old November 21st 03, 02:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote the following in:

Jonathan Osborne wrote:
Hi, does anyone have the font used in UK road signs?

Examples are available at
http://www.publiclettering.org.uk/Roadtrafficsigns.php

They are available to download at
http://www.allan-online.co.uk/transp...ts/index.shtml

The ones you want are Transport Medium and Transport Heavy.

Why is it that British transport systems have such good fonts? Thanks
for this link, these really are superb fonts.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Then and than are different words!
Old November 21st 03, 05:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message
. 1.4...

Why is it that British transport systems have such good fonts?

Because they are designed to be read from a distance while moving, so font
legibility is more important in transport than in any other product.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 21st 03, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

"Robin May" wrote in message
. 1.4...

Why is it that British transport systems have such good fonts?

Because they are designed to be read from a distance while moving, so font
legibility is more important in transport than in any other product.

A committee was set up in in late 50's or early 60's to examine signing
(Warboys Committee). I remember lots of experimental signs in
Oxfordshire.
Results include:
Use of mainly 'lowercase' as easier to read (old signs were all
capitals).
A defined 'x' height according to speed of road.
'Heavy' type used for dark background.
Adoption of continental pictorial signs for many warning and mandatory
signs.
( I've still got a pre 'Warboys' highway code containing all the old
signs.

Who said Government Committees were a waste of time?

Jim Chisholm
Old November 21st 03, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"J. Chisholm" wrote in message

A committee was set up in in late 50's or early 60's to examine signing
(Warboys Committee). I remember lots of experimental signs in
Oxfordshire.
Results include:
Use of mainly 'lowercase' as easier to read (old signs were all
capitals).
A defined 'x' height according to speed of road.
'Heavy' type used for dark background.
Adoption of continental pictorial signs for many warning and mandatory
signs.
( I've still got a pre 'Warboys' highway code containing all the old
signs.

As I recall, the Oxfordshire signs were a private initiative on the part of
the then County Surveyor. They were strictly speaking illegal, but were so
well received that the Warboys Committee was set up to look at road signs.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old November 21st 03, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Terry Harper wrote:

"J. Chisholm" wrote in message

I remember lots of experimental signs in Oxfordshire.

As I recall, the Oxfordshire signs were a private initiative on the part of
the then County Surveyor. They were strictly speaking illegal, but were so
well received that the Warboys Committee was set up to look at road signs.

I've a book by JJ Leeming, who was I believe the County Surveyor, called
"Road Accidents: Prevent or Punish" (c 1960's)

I'll try and dig it out and see if there are any refs

Jim Chisholm
Old November 21st 03, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Simon Clarke) wrote in message om...
"Jonathan Osborne" wrote in message ...
Hi, does anyone have the font used in UK road signs?

Examples are available at
http://www.publiclettering.org.uk/Roadtrafficsigns.php

Thanks!

Jonathan Osborne

I haven't studied it closely, but it looks like a very good (if not
identical) match at...

http://www.allan-online.co.uk/transp...ransport.shtml

They do look pretty good.

Road signs are usually designed using bespoke packages such as
AutoSIGN http://www.keytraffic.com/ and Signplot
http://www.buchanancomputing.co.uk/. These are useful since, as well
as including the correct fonts, they also make it easy to apply the
design rules necessary for the correct layout and spacing between all
the elements of a sign (words, numbers, symbols, panel dividers,
borders etc.

The statutory definitions covering the proportion & form of all
letters & characters use on road signs can be found in 'The Traffic
Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002' which is on-line he

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023113.htm#sch13 . See schedule
13.
Old November 21st 03, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"J. Chisholm" wrote in message

"Road Accidents: Prevent or Punish"

Troy McClure was in the film. ;-)

--