London Banter

-   -   LO lines to be named (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17850-lo-lines-named.html)

MB April 14th 21 09:10 AM

LO lines to be named

On 11/04/2021 11:56, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Hummer have already built 2 large battery SUVs. And H2 trains makes no
bloody sense whatsoever - just electric the damn lines and if its too
expensive for overhead then they should recind that moronic rule about
no more 3rd rail and lay that instead.

Health and Safety at Work Act, isn't it?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

I would not have expected the H&S at Work Act to go into detail like that.

MB April 14th 21 09:12 AM

LO lines to be named

On 11/04/2021 11:56, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Marked spaces and a kerbside supply post.

Often not enough spaces for all residents then you get the complication
if someone else parks in your space so you have park elsewhere.

Anna Noyd-Dryver April 14th 21 09:41 AM

LO lines to be named

MB wrote:
On 11/04/2021 11:56, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Hummer have already built 2 large battery SUVs. And H2 trains makes no
bloody sense whatsoever - just electric the damn lines and if its too
expensive for overhead then they should recind that moronic rule about
no more 3rd rail and lay that instead.

Health and Safety at Work Act, isn't it?

I would not have expected the H&S at Work Act to go into detail like that.

About having exposed electro conductors at floor level?

Apparently it's something specific in electrical regulations too.

Either way, the point is that it's about staff safety not about
trespassers, as often claimed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Anna Noyd-Dryver April 14th 21 09:41 AM

LO lines to be named

MB wrote:
On 11/04/2021 11:56, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Marked spaces and a kerbside supply post.

Often not enough spaces for all residents then you get the complication
if someone else parks in your space so you have park elsewhere.

I wasn't thinking house-specific numbered spaces, but just marked
car-length spaces with a charging point each.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Tweed[_2_] April 14th 21 10:15 AM

LO lines to be named

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
MB wrote:
On 11/04/2021 11:56, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Marked spaces and a kerbside supply post.

Often not enough spaces for all residents then you get the complication
if someone else parks in your space so you have park elsewhere.

I wasn't thinking house-specific numbered spaces, but just marked
car-length spaces with a charging point each.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

I still want to know what is to be done about cable theft. Presumably
charger cables have some fairly thick copper conductors. I could see
someone with insulated bolt cutters chopping their way down a street of
plugged in cars in the dead of night. Does an alarm go off if the cable is
chopped?

Roland Perry April 14th 21 10:44 AM

LO lines to be named

In message , at 10:08:02 on Wed, 14 Apr
2021, MB remarked:
On 11/04/2021 11:44, Roland Perry wrote:

Rather than laying a whole new cable, can't the existing cable supplying
every house be used?

That's even deeper, and is typically about as thick as your arm and
a real pig to make connections to.

Surely a cable to a house is not that thick? The house supply is about
half an inch diameter.

That's just the 60/100A spur (and the spur to a streetlight-charger
would depend on the number of amps required).

The thick cable is what runs along the street and each spur has to be
connected to.

Anna Noyd-Dryver April 14th 21 11:06 AM

LO lines to be named

Tweed wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
MB wrote:
On 11/04/2021 11:56, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Marked spaces and a kerbside supply post.

Often not enough spaces for all residents then you get the complication
if someone else parks in your space so you have park elsewhere.

I wasn't thinking house-specific numbered spaces, but just marked
car-length spaces with a charging point each.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

I still want to know what is to be done about cable theft. Presumably
charger cables have some fairly thick copper conductors. I could see
someone with insulated bolt cutters chopping their way down a street of
plugged in cars in the dead of night. Does an alarm go off if the cable is
chopped?

That could, I suppose, be a problem, but I'm not aware of it happening yet.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Recliner[_4_] April 14th 21 03:21 PM

LO lines to be named

Tweed wrote:

https://www.fleetpoint.org/electric-vehicles-2/thieves-making-200-a-time-stealing-car-charging-cables/

Mike Humphrey[_2_] April 14th 21 05:07 PM

LO lines to be named

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 10:10:17 +0100, MB wrote:
On 11/04/2021 11:56, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Hummer have already built 2 large battery SUVs. And H2 trains makes no
bloody sense whatsoever - just electric the damn lines and if its too
expensive for overhead then they should recind that moronic rule about
no more 3rd rail and lay that instead.

Health and Safety at Work Act, isn't it?

I would not have expected the H&S at Work Act to go into detail like
that.

The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989

7. All conductors in a system which may give rise to danger shall either–
(a)be suitably covered with insulating material and as necessary
protected so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, danger;
or
(b)have such precautions taken in respect of them (including, where
appropriate, their being suitably placed) as will prevent, so far as is
reasonably practicable, danger.

Mike

Anna Noyd-Dryver April 14th 21 07:02 PM

LO lines to be named

Recliner wrote:
Tweed wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
MB wrote:
On 11/04/2021 11:56, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Marked spaces and a kerbside supply post.

Often not enough spaces for all residents then you get the complication
if someone else parks in your space so you have park elsewhere.

I wasn't thinking house-specific numbered spaces, but just marked
car-length spaces with a charging point each.

I still want to know what is to be done about cable theft. Presumably
charger cables have some fairly thick copper conductors. I could see
someone with insulated bolt cutters chopping their way down a street of
plugged in cars in the dead of night. Does an alarm go off if the cable is
chopped?

https://www.fleetpoint.org/electric-vehicles-2/thieves-making-200-a-time-stealing-car-charging-cables/

That's talking about whole cables being stolen (presumably to be re-sold
whole) by being unplugged (the're supposed to be locked in to both vehicle
and charger); one of the suggested solutions is a padlock around the cable,
which wouldn't prevent the theft-by-cutting suggested in this thread.

Anna Noyd-Dryver