Old May 10th 21, 09:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of

engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Paddington?!?!?

Yes, why would anyone get a train direct from Marylebone when they could
fart around at West Ealing waiting for a parliamentary to West Ruislip?

Oh , Marylebone , even better! A nice leisurely tour going west first!

With your F grade in geography, you probably also don't know that the
northbound line from Marylebone passes over the line from Euston at South
Hampstead. The former GCR line is headed almost directly due north, while
the former LNWR line is headed south west on its meandering route to
Birmingham. So the Euston route heads west first, while the Marylebone
route heads north first.

In terms of distance:

MYB-BMO: 111.56 miles.chains
EUS-BHM: 112.73 miles.chains

So the Marylebone routes is actually slightly shorter.

Didn't know chiltern went to brum but looking at the 1:50 it takes to get
there I'm not surprised they don't bother advertising the service.

They don't need to. Not everyone shares your extreme degree of ignorance,
and many people prefer Marylebone and Moor Street to Euston and New Street,
plus the Chiltern trains are cheaper, more spacious and much more
comfortable. Not surprisingly, they're very popular.

Old May 10th 21, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 10 May 2021 09:53:05 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Oh , Marylebone , even better! A nice leisurely tour going west first!

With your F grade in geography, you probably also don't know that the
northbound line from Marylebone passes over the line from Euston at South
Hampstead. The former GCR line is headed almost directly due north, while
the former LNWR line is headed south west on its meandering route to
Birmingham. So the Euston route heads west first, while the Marylebone
route heads north first.

Yes, because I meant west immediately from the station obviously, not the
fact that it heads off via ruislip which is barely a few miles north of
marylebone albeit 15 miles west of it.

I see you're back in plank mode.

MYB-BMO: 111.56 miles.chains
EUS-BHM: 112.73 miles.chains

So the Marylebone routes is actually slightly shorter.

And? It takes longer.

They don't need to. Not everyone shares your extreme degree of ignorance,
and many people prefer Marylebone and Moor Street to Euston and New Street,
plus the Chiltern trains are cheaper, more spacious and much more
comfortable. Not surprisingly, they're very popular.

If you say so. Personally I can do without the sound of a large diesel engine
under my seat for 2 hours but each to their own.

Old May 10th 21, 10:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Oh , Marylebone , even better! A nice leisurely tour going west first!

With your F grade in geography, you probably also don't know that the
northbound line from Marylebone passes over the line from Euston at South
Hampstead. The former GCR line is headed almost directly due north, while
the former LNWR line is headed south west on its meandering route to
Birmingham. So the Euston route heads west first, while the Marylebone
route heads north first.

Yes, because I meant west immediately from the station obviously, not the
fact that it heads off via ruislip which is barely a few miles north of
marylebone albeit 15 miles west of it.

With your F in geography, you obviously never discovered that Birmingham is
well to the west of London. The Chiltern route to it is more direct than
the Euston route.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiltern_Main_Line#/media/File:Chiltern_Main_Line.png

I see you're back in plank mode.

MYB-BMO: 111.56 miles.chains
EUS-BHM: 112.73 miles.chains

So the Marylebone routes is actually slightly shorter.

And? It takes longer.

They don't need to. Not everyone shares your extreme degree of ignorance,
and many people prefer Marylebone and Moor Street to Euston and New Street,
plus the Chiltern trains are cheaper, more spacious and much more
comfortable. Not surprisingly, they're very popular.

If you say so. Personally I can do without the sound of a large diesel engine
under my seat for 2 hours but each to their own.

You obviously failed to note my reference to loco-hauled express trains.
How many passengers do you think have seats over a large diesel engine in
these trains?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiltern_Main_Line#/media/File:68010_Chiltern_Railways_Hatton_Bank_19-08-15_(20628237900).jpg

Old May 10th 21, 10:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Didn't know chiltern went to brum [...] I'm not surprised they don't
bother advertising the service.

It's their flagship loco-hauled service with plug-door Mk 3s, I don't know
where you get the idea that they try to hide it?

It's mentioned in their google 'summany' or whatever the correct term is,
on the front page of their website and in the drop-down menu of their
website.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Old May 10th 21, 10:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

It's a good thing that the large diesel engine is in its own self-contained
vehicle at one end of the train, then.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old May 10th 21, 10:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Some strange people even seem to enjoy sitting immediately behind it.
Old May 10th 21, 11:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

If you say so. Personally I can do without the sound of a large diesel engine
under my seat for 2 hours but each to their own.

It's a good thing that the large diesel engine is in its own self-contained
vehicle at one end of the train, then.

Some strange people even seem to enjoy sitting immediately behind it.

What strange behaviour! *lol*

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old May 10th 21, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Oh , Marylebone , even better! A nice leisurely tour going west first!

With your F grade in geography, you probably also don't know that the
northbound line from Marylebone passes over the line from Euston at South
Hampstead. The former GCR line is headed almost directly due north, while
the former LNWR line is headed south west on its meandering route to
Birmingham. So the Euston route heads west first, while the Marylebone
route heads north first.

Yes, because I meant west immediately from the station obviously, not the
fact that it heads off via ruislip which is barely a few miles north of
marylebone albeit 15 miles west of it.

I see you're back in plank mode.

MYB-BMO: 111.56 miles.chains
EUS-BHM: 112.73 miles.chains

So the Marylebone routes is actually slightly shorter.

And? It takes longer.

because it's twin track that has to fit stopping services in between express
services, thus restricting the speed of those express services

Old May 10th 21, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

They do flight the services, plus there are some overtaking opportunities
along the route. However, Chiltern does make some stops with its Main Line
services, as they're more of a regional service that serves towns along the
route, rather than being a non-stop London-Birmingham express.

Old May 10th 21, 04:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

But they do

they focus on the much cheaper fares that you can get going that way

And in case you haven't noticed, starting at Padd requires a leisurely
tour going West, and it is a service that used to exist

Castle hauled last time I did it! Only as far as High Wycombe though.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.