Old May 10th 21, 05:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Mon, 10 May 2021 10:45:21 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver

Didn't know chiltern went to brum [...] I'm not surprised they don't
bother advertising the service.

It's their flagship loco-hauled service with plug-door Mk 3s, I don't know
where you get the idea that they try to hide it?

It's mentioned in their google 'summany' or whatever the correct term is,
on the front page of their website and in the drop-down menu of their
website.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Comfortable, fast enough, Moor Street quite central. Easy walk to New
Street. Can avoid New Street if journeying further north by going on
to Smethwick to catch a northbound service.

Guy Gorton

Old May 10th 21, 08:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your
knowledge of

engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why
would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they
could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and
bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Paddington?!?!?

Yes, why would anyone get a train direct from Marylebone when they
could
fart around at West Ealing waiting for a parliamentary to West Ruislip?

Oh , Marylebone , even better! A nice leisurely tour going west first!
Didn't know chiltern went to brum but looking at the 1:50 it takes to
get
there I'm not surprised they don't bother advertising the service.

But they do

they focus on the much cheaper fares that you can get going that way

And in case you haven't noticed, starting at Padd requires a leisurely
tour going West, and it is a service that used to exist

Castle hauled last time I did it! Only as far as High Wycombe though.

I was thinking of the via Reading services, probably have to go back to the
80s for these

They were there to serve the Reading to Brun corridor, but increased
frequency of trains from the South Coast saw them them being withdrawn

IIRC there was even an Edinburgh or Glasgow service from Padd via Reading

Old May 10th 21, 09:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I was going back to the 60s :-)

They were there to serve the Reading to Brun corridor, but increased
frequency of trains from the South Coast saw them them being withdrawn

IIRC there was even an Edinburgh or Glasgow service from Padd via Reading

Don't remember those. I did Southampton - Reading - Edinburgh and return
by HST but that was an XC service of course.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old May 10th 21, 10:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10/05/2021 21:18, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Of course,it was easier in early days:

Southampton dep 0733 through train to York, Newcastle, Edinburgh and
Glasgow weekdays.
Timetable I have is not clear as to return times.

OK, it was a while ago, in 1933 via the DN&S ;-)

(Oxford Publishing, ISBN 0-86093-149-8)

--
Colin

Old May 10th 21, 10:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

So what was the arrival time?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as
Spit the dummy to reply

Old May 10th 21, 11:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Paddington-Birmingham via Oxford certainly lasted into the 80s, with
some trains continuing to Manchester, Liverpool, etc. and even one a
day via High Wycombe.
Old May 10th 21, 11:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The services into Paddington lasted until 2003
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_CrossCountry

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old May 11th 21, 07:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

A little before my time.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old May 11th 21, 07:16 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The Birmingham expresses were the last King-hauled and amongst the
earliest Class 52 hauled. I saw the first 25 of the latter almost
sequentially running through Beaconsfield as they entered traffic.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old May 11th 21, 02:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately the timetable only goes as far as Didcot with the
additional notation as footnote showing through service as above.

Many other DN&S timetables in the book, but only showing through
services to ex-GWR places such a Birmingham etc.

--
Colin