Old June 3rd 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

"mookie89" wrote in message
y.com...

FWIW, here in the States there was quite a controversy when the idea was
first floated for Right Turn on Red. The nay-sayers complained of the
hundreds of thousands of pedestrians that would perish. There was, in

fact,
quite a learning curve (no pun intended) and there were some tragic

crashes
at first, but all-in-all it seems to work just fine now. As for a

dedicated
right turn lane (left in the UK), while we do have some, the bulk of
intersections have none. Therefore if car #1 goes straight and car #2

wants
to turn, car #2 waits for the traffic signal to change. What would really
help here in the USA is British style roundabouts. I love driving in your
country because the roundabouts at least keep traffic somewhat flowing as
opposed to what someone else in this thread said about waiting for signals
to change when not a cross traffic or pedestrian is in sight. BTW, if we
want to turn left (in the USA) on to a one-way street that only goes to

the
left and we are also on a one-way street, we can legally turn left.

What would be worth importing is the US "Stop 4-ways" system. Far better
than the mini-roundabouts which infest our roads.

I also like the Dutch idea, where a road with 2 lanes in each direction
changes to 3 and one at traffic lights, one for right turn, one for straight
ahead and one for left turns, all synchronised to allow turns without
conflicting movements.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old June 4th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes

I think there's a similar one in Hemel Hempstead....

No, that's just 5 mini roundabouts in close succession similar to those
outside Hatton Cross tube station.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old June 4th 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes

I think there's a similar one in Hemel Hempstead....

No, that's just 5 mini roundabouts in close succession similar to
those outside Hatton Cross tube station.

IIRC there are 6 mini roundabouts, placed around a central island. This
is an exactly similar configuration to the Swindon one, except that
Hemel has 6 roads entering instead of 5, and the central island is
bigger.
--
Richard J.

Old June 4th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes

I think there's a similar one in Hemel Hempstead....

No, that's just 5 mini roundabouts in close succession similar to
those outside Hatton Cross tube station.

IIRC there are 6 mini roundabouts, placed around a central island. This
is an exactly similar configuration to the Swindon one, except that
Hemel has 6 roads entering instead of 5, and the central island is
bigger.

I thought the roundabouts at Swindon were placed randomly rather than
regularly around a central roundabout. Certianly they appear fairly random
when you drive around them.

Old June 4th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Helen
Deborah Vecht writes

I think there's a similar one in Hemel Hempstead....

No, that's just 5 mini roundabouts in close succession similar to
those outside Hatton Cross tube station.

IIRC there are 6 mini roundabouts, placed around a central island.
This is an exactly similar configuration to the Swindon one,
except that Hemel has 6 roads entering instead of 5, and the
central island is bigger.

I thought the roundabouts at Swindon were placed randomly rather
than regularly around a central roundabout. Certianly they appear
fairly random when you drive around them.

If you look at the photo on the page that I referred to originally in
this thread*, you'll see that there is a mini-roundabout at the point
where each of the 5 roads enters the Magic Roundabout, forming a
more-or-less regular pentagon.

* http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

--
Richard J.

Old June 5th 04, 08:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
Martin Underwood wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Andrew P Smith wrote:
[...]

You're absolutely right! I've looked at the aerial photo and I can't work
out why this one appears so confusing and random when you're driving round
it whereas the one in Hemel seems more organised. How many exits does the
Hemel one have: is it six?

I think I still prefer a nice simple arrangement with one big roundabout,
they you only have to gave way ONCE, as you're entering the roundabout,
rather than having to be prepared to stop at every roundabout on your route.

Old June 6th 04, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In s.com,
Martin Underwood typed:

I think I still prefer a nice simple arrangement with one big
roundabout, they you only have to gave way ONCE, as you're entering
the roundabout, rather than having to be prepared to stop at every
roundabout on your route.

I lived in Hemel before the mini-roundabouts were put there. The problem
was that the big roundabout was so big that traffic already on it was able
to travel at such a speed that it was impossible for other traffic to join;
hence huge queues built up.

After the changes were made, speed through the junction lessened
considerably but so did the length of the queues. Overall the time spent
getting through the whole queue/junction was much shorter. I suppose it can
be likened to the variable speed limits on the M25 - reduce the
traffic speed and more traffic gets through the area in a given time.

Bob

Old June 6th 04, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 08:22:23 +0100, "Bob Wood"
wrote:

After the changes were made, speed through the junction lessened
considerably but so did the length of the queues. Overall the time spent
getting through the whole queue/junction was much shorter. I suppose it can
be likened to the variable speed limits on the M25 - reduce the
traffic speed and more traffic gets through the area in a given time.

I wonder how the usual option - traffic lights on the roundabout -
would perform in comparison?

I can think of a couple of roundabouts in Milton Keynes (other than
the one that already has lights) which could do with some slowing of
the traffic, as it sometimes approaches and negotiates the roundabout
at dangerous speeds (50mph is not impossible - the roundabout is so
wide that if there's very little traffic it's possible to take an
almost straight path across it so there is little need to slow down).

If anyone's interested, the main one concerned is the V11-H8
roundabout by the Kingston Centre. I've almost come to grief a few
times there - it's quite possible for traffic to approach up the H8
near the speed limit (70mph) and not be visible to someone waiting on
the V11 north side (due to the layout) until it is almost on the
roundabout. At that sort of speed, this is far too late and often
results in emergency braking being necessary (my car hasn't got enough
go to safely accelerate out of the way).

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain
Old June 6th 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Richard J.
writes
Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes

I think there's a similar one in Hemel Hempstead....

No, that's just 5 mini roundabouts in close succession similar to
those outside Hatton Cross tube station.

IIRC there are 6 mini roundabouts, placed around a central island. This
is an exactly similar configuration to the Swindon one, except that
Hemel has 6 roads entering instead of 5, and the central island is
bigger.

Yes, Hemel has 6, Hatton Cross has 5, but neither are anything like the
Magic Roundabout in Swindon IMO.
Old June 7th 04, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:57:03 +0100, Andrew P Smith
wrote:

In article , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes

I think there's a similar one in Hemel Hempstead....

No, that's just 5 mini roundabouts in close succession similar to those
outside Hatton Cross tube station.

No its the same format - there is even the special road sign as you
approach it. I think the Hemel one came first, as well.