Old June 12th 04, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default Double Artic Trolleybus.

I just had a thought. Would it be legal in the UK? I know there were
some "issues" with single artics when they first appeared (something about
couldn't charge fares on them).

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old June 12th 04, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" wrote
the following in:

I just had a thought. Would it be legal in the UK? I know
there were some "issues" with single artics when they first
appeared (something about couldn't charge fares on them).

That's alright, TfL still don't.

--
message by Robin May. Inimitable, but would you want to anyway?
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.
Old June 12th 04, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:34:26 +0000 (UTC), Graham Harrison wrote in
, seen in uk.transport.buses:

[...] I know there were
some "issues" with single artics when they first appeared (something about
couldn't charge fares on them).

That must have been a long time back, as I recall Midland Red (North)
and later Midland Red (West) charging (and collecting) fares on the
artics they got from South Yorks PTE, and I don't recall SYPTE or its
successors *not* charging (or collecting) fares on their original
artics (or their replacements).

I'm trying to remember exactly when it was SYPTE bought its first
artics, but I can't. MR(N) had ex-SYPTE artics by the mid 80's - I
remember them appearing at Birmingham's Bull Ring Bus Station from
Cannock in the days when I was a schoolkid moonlighting in the MRN
travel centre there!
--
Ross Hamilton, in Lincoln (UK)
From address *will* bounce
Old June 12th 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Mark Brader" wrote in message

Did you ride it, or otherwise travel the same roads? I'd be interested
to know the highest speed limit on the road and whether the trolleybuses
actually reach that speed -- unless the overhead wire and the road
surface are very good, I wouldn't think trolley poles would provide
reliable contact for a road vehicle at much above city speeds.

Mark, the erstwhile Mexborough and Swinton trolleybus service, between
Rotherham and Conisborough, passed through a long stretch of open country
with a slight downhill slope. On the farewell tour in 1961, pictures at
http://www.btinternet.com/~terry.harper/ms1961.htm , our single-decker got
up to a good speed, probably between 45 and 50 mph (80 kph for you
colonials:-).
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old June 12th 04, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

The initial difficulty with Artics in this country was that under then
current legislation, passengers could not be carried in a trailer on public
highways.

Some fairly rudimentary artics, using a goods vehicle tractor unit with a
very box-like semi-trailer, had seen limited airport use previously.

Oxford operated the ex-Sheffield MAN's for some time. Drivers were given a
fairly comprehensive training programme, but the Ministry decreed that any
driver with an "all types" licence could drive them.

Reversing technique was relatively straightforward, but took some getting
used to. Rear axle steered in mirror formation to the front axle. When
reversing, you simply "drove" the other end. Not as simple as it sounds.

I cannot recal the fare collection arrangements, but as they settled on the
501 Blackbird Leys - Rail Station, it must have been near normal.

Robin Clare
"Ross" wrote in message
[...]

From address *will* bounce

Old June 13th 04, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Ross wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:34:26 +0000 (UTC), Graham Harrison wrote in
, seen in uk.transport.buses:

[...] I know there were
some "issues" with single artics when they first appeared (something

about
couldn't charge fares on them).

That must have been a long time back, as I recall Midland Red (North)
and later Midland Red (West) charging (and collecting) fares on the
artics they got from South Yorks PTE, and I don't recall SYPTE or its
successors *not* charging (or collecting) fares on their original
artics (or their replacements).

I'm trying to remember exactly when it was SYPTE bought its first
artics, but I can't. MR(N) had ex-SYPTE artics by the mid 80's

Ross,
2001-04 (DAK301-04V) deliveries started 09/1979.
MAN built the front half and Goppel (Augsburg) built the trailers.
Used on the 500 Clipper service (which was originally a free service).

Withdrawn 09/1981.
Returned to MAN (Swindon)
Loan to City of Oxford 02/82 to 10/82
Loan to Midland Red (Express) 10/82 at NEC Motor Show car parks
Loan to Midland Red West 01/83 to 12/83
Sold to Midland Red North in 01/84
2001 lent to Northern General 12/86 to 01/87
2004 lent to SYPTE 03/84 to 04/84
All withdrawn 02/87
Sold to Marlin Coast Bus Lines (The Beach Bus), Cairns, Queensland 03/87
2002 not operated and sold on to
Grafton-Yamba Bus Service, Northern New South Wales 09/89.

So now you know what happened to them

Regards
Dave Farrier

Old June 13th 04, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"David Farrier" wrote in message

Ross wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:34:26 +0000 (UTC), Graham Harrison wrote in
, seen in uk.transport.buses:

[...] I know there were
some "issues" with single artics when they first appeared (something

about
couldn't charge fares on them).

Big Snip

There are pictures of 2001/05/06/10 on http://yorkshirebuses.photos.gb.com/

Keith.

Old June 13th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Alex wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:02:59 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:11:49 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla.../Ecp20january2
004.htm
http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla...cules/List+of+
Vehicles.htm

There's a diesel version running around on the old 102 (now Metrobus
something or other) in Hamburg, a former tram route now operated by
diesel buses using much of the existing tram infrastructure.

Neil

And how do you reverse them?

Not only that , whats to stop the powered rear section jackknifing the bit in
the middle which given it only has a single wheel is probably quite happy to
turn on its axis if given enough of a shove.

B2003
Old June 13th 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Alex wrote the following in:

On 12 Jun 2004 13:34:09 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

"Graham Harrison" wrote
the following in:

I just had a thought. Would it be legal in the UK? I know
there were some "issues" with single artics when they first
appeared (something about couldn't charge fares on them).

That's alright, TfL still don't.

Eh?

Pay before you board, or "revenue free boarding" as it is referred to
by some.

--
message by Robin May-Silk and my close friend, Robert Kilroy-Kotton