Old July 6th 04, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Vision of the Future map

Joe wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Grr. I hate PDF files, they are a complete and utter waste of time
and money. Ban them, I say!

How else would you display via the web a large, complex map with the
ability to zoom in to look at areas in detail? Maybe you need a faster
PC. I too used to grumble about the time taken to load Acrobat Reader
until I replaced my 5-year-old PC last year.
--
Richard J.

Old July 6th 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Richard J. wrote:
Maybe you need a faster
PC.

I bought a new computer in September and it works fine, howver I still
havent been able to get into this "Map" because it is a PDF file, which
are all complate wastes of time. A Gif would be a much better solution
with a Bmp for those who want good quality.
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see
Old July 6th 04, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Maybe you need a faster
PC.

I bought a new computer in September and it works fine, howver I
still havent been able to get into this "Map" because it is a PDF
file,

Get Acrobat Reader plugged into your browser then, unless you are using
an odd browser that it doesn't interface with. (This is getting
off-topic -- mail me if you want to pursue this.)
--
Richard J.

Old July 6th 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
JB wrote:
It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

I can get that file. Is there a link to the story with the map?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2C912CB8

I have now noticed a few oddities:
* East London Line northern extension goes to Caledonian Rd &
Barnsbury - I know they are planning a reversing siding near there
but I didn't think they'd run services the extra stop.

* I wasn't aware that Farringdon Crossrail would have two exits
(one at Barbican) but that might just be me.

All the Central London stations on Crossrail will have two exits. Only
at Farringdon (Barbican) and Liverpool Street (Moorgate) do both ends
link to Tube stations.

* They've left the Moorgate Thameslink branch on there (as well as
Shoreditch on the ELL) which might be misleading.

The map doesn't have a way of indicating that an existing line will
close by 2016. Another example is Turnham Green to Richmond: the
District service will cease if/when Crossrail starts running.

* I thought the Crystal Palace Tramlink branch was from the
Streatham branch, not the Beckenham Jcn one.

Also:

* No interchange shown between Isle of Dogs (Crossrail) and West India
Quay (DLR) despite the former being below the latter.

* No White City station on the Hammersmith & City. I thought this was
planned to be reinstated to serve the shopping complex.

* No apostrophes in Earls Court, Regents Park, Kings Cross, etc! Is
this one of the plans for 2016? :-)

--
Richard J.

Old July 6th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Boothroyd wrote:
In article ,
Dave Arquati wrote:

TfL have unveiled a "future of transport" map which shows how the
Underground map (or rather "TfL map") would look in 2016 if they get
funding for the projects they want to build.

Some particular National Rail lines are included on the map as well as
Crossrail 1, Thameslink 2000, the ELLX, Cross River Transit, DLR
extensions, East London Transit, Greenwich Waterfront Transit, the West
London Tram, the Croydon Tramlink extensions, the Croxley Link, Terminal
5 and Stratford International.

No Chelsea-Hackney line though.

Completion is predicted for 2016 *at the earliest* if it were taken
ahead with Crossrail 1; if Crossrail 1 gets funding next week in the
Spending Review then it will have taken decades to get it and I don't
see anyone splashing out on Crossrail 2 within the same decade.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old July 6th 04, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message

You have to love the acrobatic station markers at Farringdon/Barbican and
Liverpool Street/Moorgate.

Don't quite know what's going on at Barbican and Farringdon, but the plans
for Liverpool Street Crossrail show escalators linking to both Liverpool
Street and Moorgate Underground stations. ISTR the main Crossrail ticket
hall being under the new office block being built on the corner of
Moorfields / London Wall, which is just south of Moorgate station.

Old July 6th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"JWBA68" wrote in message
TfL have unveiled a "future of transport" map which shows how the
Underground map (or rather "TfL map") would look in 2016 if they get
funding for the projects they want to build.

Some particular National Rail lines are included on the map as well as
Crossrail 1, Thameslink 2000, the ELLX, Cross River Transit, DLR
extensions, East London Transit, Greenwich Waterfront Transit, the West
London Tram, the Croydon Tramlink extensions, the Croxley Link, Terminal
5 and Stratford International.

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

TfL are obviously not interested in bringing the Bakerloos back to Watford
Junction!

Burkey

Don't know how you figure that - the map clearly shows Silverlink Metro
going to Watford Junction. The Bakerloo still stops at Harrow & Wealdstone.

I'm guessing they included Silverlink as it indicates the new interchange
opportunity at Watford Junction. Also it does provide a 'metro' service to
Headstone Lane & Hatch End which are both within Greater London.

Colin

Old July 6th 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:02:22 +0100, Joe
wrote:

Richard J. wrote:
Maybe you need a faster
PC.

I bought a new computer in September and it works fine, howver I still
havent been able to get into this "Map" because it is a PDF file, which
are all complate wastes of time. A Gif would be a much better solution
with a Bmp for those who want good quality.

The pdf map is a vector graphic - much better for scaling and zooming
than any bitmap.

I do have a thing against people who put bitmaps in pdfs or create
them with out actually checking if they work properly, but done well
pdfs are a very portable format.

Also try selcting the text off a bitmap and see where it gets you.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. Dick Cavett
Old July 6th 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
JB wrote:
It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

I can get that file. Is there a link to the story with the map?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2C912CB8

I have now noticed a few oddities:
* East London Line northern extension goes to Caledonian Rd & Barnsbury
- I know they are planning a reversing siding near there but I didn't
think they'd run services the extra stop.

* I wasn't aware that Farringdon Crossrail would have two exits (one at
Barbican) but that might just be me.

It isn't that far - I can well believe that a 12 car platform would stretch
all the way between Farringdon & Barbican (think of City Thameslink and how
far apart the Ludgate Hill & Holborn Viaduct exits are).

Farringdon was going to get a new entrance building for Thameslink 2000
anyway, so maybe it'll also cope with the Crossrail entrance.

* They've left the Moorgate Thameslink branch on there (as well as
Shoreditch on the ELL) which might be misleading.

And Watford (Met). I think they are more keen to enthuse people about new
services than point out that current ones may be withdrawn, thus causing
protests. Just look at the upset that has been caused by the fact that
Richmond will lose its beloved District line to make way for Crossrail!

Colin

Old July 6th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
JB wrote:
It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

I can get that file. Is there a link to the story with the map?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2C912CB8

That's done it - thanks.