Old July 6th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Vision of the Future map

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Robin Mayes wrote:

Don't quite know what's going on at Barbican and Farringdon, but the plans
for Liverpool Street Crossrail show escalators linking to both Liverpool
Street and Moorgate Underground stations.

I remember reading that in order to handle the passenger load of
a Crosstrail train which will hold more than SSL trains, the stations will
have two ways out at either end of the platform. In some cases
(Farringdon, Liverpool Street) this will mean connecting to two
LU stations.
--
Michael Hoffman

Old July 6th 04, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote:

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
news:Pine.WNT.4.58.0407062019010.3224@ZVAVZBB.. .

You have to love the acrobatic station markers at Farringdon/Barbican and
Liverpool Street/Moorgate.

Don't quite know what's going on at Barbican and Farringdon, but the plans
for Liverpool Street Crossrail show escalators linking to both Liverpool
Street and Moorgate Underground stations. ISTR the main Crossrail ticket
hall being under the new office block being built on the corner of
Moorfields / London Wall, which is just south of Moorgate station.

Moorhouse.

Yes, there is at least one poster on the external hoarding mentioning
the void that's been left underground for the Crossrail ticket hall.

--
James Farrar |
London, SE13 |

Old July 6th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Don't know how you figure that - the map clearly shows Silverlink Metro
going to Watford Junction. The Bakerloo still stops at Harrow & Wealdstone.

I'm guessing they included Silverlink as it indicates the new interchange
opportunity at Watford Junction. Also it does provide a 'metro' service to
Headstone Lane & Hatch End which are both within Greater London.

It only shows the Bakerloos going as far as Harrow & Wealdstone!
Headstone Lane & Hatch End would have to have a 10 minute service all day every
day to be deemed a proper 'metro' service.

Burkey
Old July 6th 04, 11:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Thanks!

The omissions are more interesting.

Park Royal interchange
West Hampstead Met Interchange
Tufnell Park Goblin interchange (no surprise)
Langdon Park DLR station - whatever happened to that?
New H&C station at White City

Anyway, Tramlink seems to be track-sharing with Thameslink trains between
Sutton and Wimbledon! Will HSE be up for that?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 6th 04, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"JWBA68" wrote in message
Don't know how you figure that - the map clearly shows Silverlink Metro
going to Watford Junction. The Bakerloo still stops at Harrow &

Wealdstone.

I'm guessing they included Silverlink as it indicates the new interchange
opportunity at Watford Junction. Also it does provide a 'metro' service

Headstone Lane & Hatch End which are both within Greater London.

It only shows the Bakerloos going as far as Harrow & Wealdstone!

That is what I said!

Headstone Lane & Hatch End would have to have a 10 minute service all day

every
day to be deemed a proper 'metro' service.

TfL seem to classify '4 an hour' as a 'Metro' service, as seen at several
stations on the 'Overground Network' south of the river.

Burkey

Old July 7th 04, 01:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote...

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Thanks!

The omissions are more interesting.

Park Royal interchange
West Hampstead Met Interchange
Tufnell Park Goblin interchange (no surprise)
Langdon Park DLR station - whatever happened to that?
New H&C station at White City

Anyway, Tramlink seems to be track-sharing with Thameslink trains between
Sutton and Wimbledon! Will HSE be up for that?

Possibly if both were modified, but persuading them would be more
trouble than it's worth. Besides, wasn't that idea abandoned in favour
of a more direct street alignment for Tramlink?
Old July 7th 04, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote:

It's fascinating - but an awful lack of joined-up thinking from my point
of view - why on earth can't they extend the proposed Cross River
Transit from Brixton to Streatham, there to join up with the extended
Croydon Tramlink? Since the buses have got much better, it's easier
than it used to be to get a southbound bus from Brixton at this time of
night (6.00 pm), but it's still common to have to wait, and it isn't
pleasant! Much easier to be able to get down to Streatham, or possibly
just as far as Herne Hill to join Thameslink services to Streatham.....

I don't want to sound like a partial whinger, but it just looks like yet
more options to everyone but those in South London to me. Perhaps I'm
just paranoid, but I really fail to see the point of a transport link to
Purley. IMO.

And yes, a reliable link to Brixton would be much nicer. I know about
the corridor through Streatham particularly around the library that
makes it difficult, but either just sod the cars or bulldoze Lidl imo.
Either way it's win:win
Old July 7th 04, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 00:25:14 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Thanks!

The omissions are more interesting.

Park Royal interchange
West Hampstead Met Interchange
Tufnell Park Goblin interchange (no surprise)
Langdon Park DLR station - whatever happened to that?
New H&C station at White City

One might ask, what's happened to the CRT link to King's Cross and
north thereof?

Regards,

Clive

--
Clive R Robertson -- AS/400 Programmer.

Webmaster of http://www.osterleypark.org.uk/ -- this describes
a beautiful National Trust property in West London.
Old July 7th 04, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:02:22 +0100, Joe
wrote:
I bought a new computer in September and it works fine, howver I still
havent been able to get into this "Map" because it is a PDF file, which
are all complate wastes of time. A Gif would be a much better solution
with a Bmp for those who want good quality.

(OT) Erm, no. A GIF with a correct palette would give just as much
quality as a BMP for this sort of image (GIF is non-lossy compression,
remember - it's just limited to 8-bit colour). It's JPEG that would
degrade the quality.

PDF is very useful for this sort of image because you can zoom in and
out and have the image rerendered for you. Even on my rather elderly
PC here, it loaded fine. Perhaps you need to do some fixing?

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge
Old July 7th 04, 09:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:17:43 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:
about
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Fascinating stuff, and quite an impressive piece of design, too.
Thanks, Dave, for pointing this out to us!

* No interchange shown between Isle of Dogs (Crossrail) and West India
Quay (DLR) despite the former being below the latter.

But then, the Isle of Dogs Crossrail station is diagramatically
position away from the Isle of Dogs. :-) The geography appears to be
quite twisted here.

* No White City station on the Hammersmith & City. I thought this was
planned to be reinstated to serve the shopping complex.

There seemed to be few changes to the UndergrounD lines in general :
Metropolitan proposals at Croxley/Watford, Heathrow T5 on the
Piccadilly, and East London extensions, but that's it. Any mooted
plans to extend Victoria or Bakerloo lines south must be pretty
dormant.

* No apostrophes in Earls Court, Regents Park, Kings Cross, etc! Is
this one of the plans for 2016? :-)

Quite possibly! Apostrophe abuse is so common now that getting rid of
them altogether could be the way forward. :-) (Personally it feels
more wrong to see an apostrophe where there shouldn't be one than to
see one omitted...)

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge