Old August 25th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

Default Passport to Pimlico - 2004 version?

Clive D. W. Feather wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 24 Aug 2004:

In article , Roland
Perry writes
Except that the Home Office Immigration department has a list of
people who are in the country legally, so if you can reliably
establish someone's name, you can check it against that list.

I don't recall any scanning of EU passports at Waterloo last time I
came that way, and I don't think either Paris or Brussels did so
either. And I'm sure there was no scanning last time I used a ferry.

Last time I came into Waterloo there was a massive long queue for
passport control. I can't remember whether or not they scanned them,
though. And at the various Shuttle passport controls, they barely
glance at your passports, although sometimes I think they do scan them.
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 25th 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe
PJW PJW is offline

This I very much doubt. Why else is there such a drive for a new
National Population Register and ID card, for which we shall be
charged £40? It's all a device to avoid charging the great data-clean
exercise to the general taxation budget.

PJW

Old August 25th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

In message , at 17:27:52 on Wed, 25 Aug
2004, PJW remarked:

Please don't top-post, it breaks the flow...

This I very much doubt.

You doubt that the Home Office has a list of legal immigrants? Despite
all of those legal immigrants having filled in copious Home Office
paperwork and had Home Office stamps added to their passports?

Old August 26th 04, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

In article , Roland
Perry writes
Except that the Home Office Immigration department has a list of
people who are in the country legally, so if you can reliably
establish someone's name, you can check it against that list.

I don't recall any scanning of EU passports at Waterloo last time I
came that way, and I don't think either Paris or Brussels did so
either. And I'm sure there was no scanning last time I used a ferry.

Very interesting, but in what way is that relevant to Americans being
legally entitled to live in the UK?

Nothing. The assertion was "if you can reliably establish someone's
name, you can check it against that list" "of people who are in the
country legally".

Even if IND know the name of every UK citizen (which I doubt), there are
still people legally in the country that they don't know about. And
possession of an EU passport doesn't show that they're here legally
either, even if you know who they are.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old August 26th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

In message , at 08:00:49 on Thu, 26
Aug 2004, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
The assertion was "if you can reliably establish someone's name, you
can check it against that list" "of people who are in the country
legally".

This is in the context of Robin's American girlfriend. So I repeat my
claim that if you are an American in the UK, the Home Office has a list
of those who are in the country legally (a combination of landing cards
for tourists and immigration papers for residents).

Old August 26th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

Hatunen wrote the following in:

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:38:42 +0000 (UTC), "Alan Harrison"
wrote:

Hmm, how would they know that a language is "not European"? On the
Piccadilly Line on Saturday (Hounslow West to Hammersmith) I was
sitting opposite a father and daughter who were speaking a
language I didn't recognise. As both were fair-skinned and the
little girl was blonde, I assume that they were European and
speaking a European language (unless they were testing their
knowledge of Swahili). What about Turkish (or Russian) where
speakers may be European or Asian?

Finn, Estonian and Hungaian don't sound a bit "European"

People I've spoken to have said that Portugese sounds more like Russian
than like a European language.

On the other hand French and Spanish certainly sound European but are
spoken by people in many countries outside Europe.

--
message by the incredible Robin May.
"The British don't like successful people" - said by British failures

Who is Abi Titmuss? What is she? Why is she famous?
http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Old August 26th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Hmm, how would they know that a language is "not European"? On the
Piccadilly Line on Saturday (Hounslow West to Hammersmith) I was
sitting opposite a father and daughter who were speaking a
language I didn't recognise. As both were fair-skinned and the
little girl was blonde, I assume that they were European and
speaking a European language (unless they were testing their
knowledge of Swahili). What about Turkish (or Russian) where
speakers may be European or Asian?

Finn, Estonian and Hungaian don't sound a bit "European"

People I've spoken to have said that Portugese sounds more like
Russian than like a European language.

Isn't Russian a European language?
--
Richard J.
Old August 27th 04, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

In article , Richard J. wrote:
Robin May wrote:
People I've spoken to have said that Portugese sounds more like
Russian than like a European language.

Isn't Russian a European language?

I'd have thought so. I also haven't found it to sound much at all like
Portuguese, and I've been exposed to a lot of speech in both
languages...

Niklas

Old August 27th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

Why was the original film called "Passport to Pimlico"?

I mean, a passport isn't to a specific place, like perhaps a visa is. You
don't say 'a passport to Australia' or 'a passport to China' or the like.
It's just a passport. It might contain a visa to Oz or China or Pimlico,
but it's not a passport to anywhere in particular - it's just a passport.

--
Ian Tindale
Old August 27th 04, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Tindale" wrote in message
Why was the original film called "Passport to Pimlico"?

I presume that you know the plot of the film? The point was that you needed
a passport to visit Pimlico, after UDI.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm