Old December 9th 03, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fares for 2004 & Oysters

According to the 2004 Fares leaflet there is only talk about pre-pay oyster
tickets being cheaper than the increased prices.

Maybe my memory is wrong BUT I thought that in the summer when all the
Oyster spin was taking place, we were told that Oystercard ticket prices
would stay the same in 2004 as 2003.

According to the 2004 fares leaflet a Monthly Travelcard (Z1,2&3) is rising
from £88.88 to £91.40. Is there a special price for an Oyster monthly ?

Old December 9th 03, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

simon wrote:
According to the 2004 Fares leaflet there is only talk about pre-pay
oyster tickets being cheaper than the increased prices.

Maybe my memory is wrong BUT I thought that in the summer when all the
Oyster spin was taking place, we were told that Oystercard ticket
prices would stay the same in 2004 as 2003.

According to the 2004 fares leaflet a Monthly Travelcard (Z1,2&3) is
rising from £88.88 to £91.40. Is there a special price for an Oyster
monthly ?

The TfL press release of 9 August 2003 said "The price of Tube travel will
be frozen for passengers using the Oyster smartcard" and "From next year
Tube passengers using the Oyster smartcard will pay 2003 prices for their
journeys". It seems that this was meant to apply to Pre Pay only, but they
didn't actually say that. If so, that's highly misleading. I've mailed
TfL to say so and ask for clarification.
--
Richard J.

Old December 10th 03, 12:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." writes:

The TfL press release of 9 August 2003 said "The price of Tube travel will
be frozen for passengers using the Oyster smartcard" and "From next year
Tube passengers using the Oyster smartcard will pay 2003 prices for their
journeys". It seems that this was meant to apply to Pre Pay only, but they
didn't actually say that. If so, that's highly misleading. I've mailed
TfL to say so and ask for clarification.

Can Advertising Standards take any action over this? Together with
the sudden withdrawal of support for multiple tickets on prepay, this
adds up to appallingly misleading hype of the new ticket format.

Old December 10th 03, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jason Rumney wrote:
"Richard J." writes:

The TfL press release of 9 August 2003 said "The price of Tube travel will
be frozen for passengers using the Oyster smartcard" and "From next year
Tube passengers using the Oyster smartcard will pay 2003 prices for their
journeys". It seems that this was meant to apply to Pre Pay only, but they
didn't actually say that. If so, that's highly misleading. I've mailed
TfL to say so and ask for clarification.

Can Advertising Standards take any action over this? Together with
the sudden withdrawal of support for multiple tickets on prepay, this
adds up to appallingly misleading hype of the new ticket format.

On the way home on the DLR today I noticed them changing the 'Give
yourself cheaper travel all next year with Oyster' posters at the stations.

The new posters now say specifically 'Give yourself cheaper SINGLE
TRAVEL TICKETS all next year with Oyster'.

So, maybe they've already had their wrists slapped about it and are now
updating all their literature?

Old December 11th 03, 12:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 11:41:22 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

The TfL press release of 9 August 2003 said "The price of Tube travel will
be frozen for passengers using the Oyster smartcard" and "From next year
Tube passengers using the Oyster smartcard will pay 2003 prices for their
journeys". It seems that this was meant to apply to Pre Pay only, but they
didn't actually say that. If so, that's highly misleading. I've mailed
TfL to say so and ask for clarification.

Does anyone have any advertising about this?

As someone else suggested a complaint to the ASA could be in order,
but I'm not sure it a press release would fall under the ASA or CAP
guidelines.

Cheers,

Jason.

Old December 11th 03, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The TfL press release of 9 August 2003 said "The price of Tube
travel will be frozen for passengers using the Oyster smartcard"
and "From next year Tube passengers using the Oyster smartcard
will pay 2003 prices for their journeys". It seems that this was
meant to apply to Pre Pay only, but they didn't actually say that.
If so, that's highly misleading. I've mailed TfL to say so and
ask for clarification.

Does anyone have any advertising about this?

I was handed an advert at Tower Hill station today about Oyster pre-pay
and it talked about 2003 price single tickets in 2004.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Another high quality lesson from Robin May:
Your and you're are different words!
Old December 12th 03, 11:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
simon wrote:
[...]

The reply from TfL received today admitted that the press release "wasn't
as clear as it should have been." They say that the 2003 fares will apply
only to single Tube and single DLR journeys paid for using Pre-Pay (also
bus and tram single journeys from later in 2004 when Pre-Pay becomes
available on those services), and that a new press release to clarify this
will be issued next week.

--
Richard J.

Stratford and Oysters Tristán White London Transport 2 April 16th 06 10:12 AM
More on Oysters Mike Bristow London Transport 26 December 7th 03 02:41 PM
More on Oysters Jill London Transport 0 November 25th 03 07:45 PM
Weekly Oysters Mark Etherington London Transport 0 October 12th 03 09:21 AM
Fares From January 2004 CJG London Transport 49 September 10th 03 11:55 AM