Old August 19th 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

Default Fares From January 2004

Apparently all fares are going up by 25% on the Tube.
And the 70p bus fare is going up to £1. I guess the £1 fare is going up
to?
Anyway 25%???? Just a tiny bit over the rate of inflation then?
Anyway I think considering LU fares are a rip off already. 25% rise is
just taking the ****.
But then thankfully I won't be living in London by next year. So Im not
all that bothered.
I do feel sorry for commuters who to be honest do pay over the odds for
a **** service.
The thing is. LU provide a service like they do. Then charge these
fares. And then can't understand why people are queuing up to bash them.
--
CJG

Old August 19th 03, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was CJG
), in message
who said:
Apparently all fares are going up by 25% on the Tube.
And the 70p bus fare is going up to £1. I guess the £1 fare is going
up to?
Anyway 25%???? Just a tiny bit over the rate of inflation then?
Anyway I think considering LU fares are a rip off already. 25% rise is
just taking the ****.
But then thankfully I won't be living in London by next year. So Im
not all that bothered.
I do feel sorry for commuters who to be honest do pay over the odds
for a **** service.
The thing is. LU provide a service like they do. Then charge these
fares. And then can't understand why people are queuing up to bash
them.

And still no low-cost transfer ticket on the buses, no?

Absolutely ****ing disgraceful.

Personally I don't mind so much if TfL are trying to engineer a situation
whereby a travelcard or buspass of some description become the minimum
economically viable ticket - which certainly appears to be the case.

However, why can't they sell the ****ers at bus stops or on buses, for those
of us who need to make an initial bus journey in order to be able to buy a
travelcard in the first place?

BTN

Old August 19th 03, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

CJG wrote:
Apparently all fares are going up by 25% on the Tube.

WRONG! It helps if you read beyond the Evening Standard headline.
The real story is at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-744.shtml

Full details of new fares are at
http://www.london.gov.uk/news/2003/fare-struc04.pdf

--
Richard J.
Old August 19th 03, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Stevie wrote:
CJG wrote:
Apparently all fares are going up by 25% on the Tube.
And the 70p bus fare is going up to £1. I guess the £1 fare is going
up to? Anyway 25%???? Just a tiny bit over the rate of inflation
then?
Anyway I think considering LU fares are a rip off already. 25% rise
is just taking the ****.
But then thankfully I won't be living in London by next year. So Im
not all that bothered.
I do feel sorry for commuters who to be honest do pay over the odds
for
a **** service.
The thing is. LU provide a service like they do. Then charge these
fares. And then can't understand why people are queuing up to bash
them.

However, apparently this increases are only for people buying tickets
with cash. If you use Oystercard prepay then the prices are staying
the same - it's all part of some grand plan to get everyone using
Oystercard.

The 25% increase is only for people buying single or return tube tickets for
Zone 1 only. Other cash fares have much more modest increases, in most
cases going up by 10p or 20p for single or 1-day fares.

--
Richard J.

Old August 19th 03, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

In message , Stevie
writes
However, apparently this increases are only for people buying tickets
with cash. If you use Oystercard prepay then the prices are staying
the same - it's all part of some grand plan to get everyone using
Oystercard.

We aren't putting up the fares really! Just encouraging people to use
Oyster.
Just remember Ken and LU think we are all stupid.
Its the old shouting about getting 10% more beer free then quietly
putting the price up 20%
--
CJG

Old August 19th 03, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:49:18 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

WRONG! It helps if you read beyond the Evening Standard headline.
The real story is at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-744.shtml

Flat fare of a quid for bus journeys everywhere isn't *too* bad -
it'll allow all buses to go to off-bus ticketing sooner, though it'll
not give much scope for further increases without involving loose
change. I *do* disagree with the free travel for children idea,
though - I can see it leading to troublemakers *legitimately* riding
around on buses for free all day harassing the passengers. 40p is not
an unreasonable child fare, IMO.

As for gbp2 single on the Tube zone 1, it's a complete rip-off,
blatently targeted at visitors and tourists. The fare should be
*reduced* to a quid, and made inter-available with buses to encourage
the two to be used as a system rather than two distinct means of
transport.

It's odd, as someone originating from the North West who now lives in
Milton Keynes and visits London a lot (normally with a Travelcard), to
see that bus and Tube/rail fares in the London area are opposite to
those in the Northern PTEs - there, bus fares are set at commercial
rates and so are high, while rail fares are heavily-subsidised and
rather cheap in comparison, while in London the opposite is the
case...

Neil

Old August 19th 03, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:35:35 +0100 Stevie said...

However, apparently this increases are only for people buying tickets
with cash. If you use Oystercard prepay then the prices are staying the
same - it's all part of some grand plan to get everyone using Oystercard.

Having looked at the new fares, yes, Oyster smartcard makes sense for
single journeys on both the buses & tube. However there is still no
financial benefit to those who want to use it for weekly and longer
Travelcards or bus passes.

Whilst a majority of the Travelcard increases are in the 3 to 4% region,
I'm intrigued why Z1 only prices have shot up the way they have done.

--
Phil Richards
London, N4
Old August 19th 03, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:10:33 +0100, CJG
wrote:

Apparently all fares are going up by 25% on the Tube.
And the 70p bus fare is going up to £1. I guess the £1 fare is going up
to?
Anyway 25%???? Just a tiny bit over the rate of inflation then?

Funny. Its only 65p with a Saver....

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old August 19th 03, 07:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:30:02 +0100, "Ben Nunn"
wrote:

However, why can't they sell the ****ers at bus stops or on buses, for those
of us who need to make an initial bus journey in order to be able to buy a
travelcard in the first place?

Because then the bus would be held for much longer as more cash is
handled by the driver. There's also the issue that the bus ticket
machines don't issue mag-stripe tickets.

Of course when Oyster PrePay is up and running, the problem won't be
there any more....

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old August 19th 03, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

However, apparently this increases are only for people buying tickets
with cash. If you use Oystercard prepay then the prices are staying the
same - it's all part of some grand plan to get everyone using Oystercard.

Oystercard, because everyone likes to be tracked every journey they
make, oh and so are cars now with the congestion charge *suspicious eyes*