Old August 25th 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New London floating cruise terminal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/3888261.stm

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 26th 04, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/3888261.stm

I wouldn't have thought the Thames at Greenwich was wide enough (or
deep enough) for cruise liners, but then I don't actually know how big
they are.

Hang on. Will they fit under the QE2 bridge? Possibly, since this was
designed deliberately high so as not to interfere with shipping. But
what about the Thames Barrier?

I really have no idea of the dimensions of the ships / rivers /
barriers involved here...

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please
Old August 26th 04, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
02:46:07 on Thu, 26 Aug 2004, LarryLard
remarked:
I really have no idea

Clearly :-(
Old August 26th 04, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

LarryLard wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 26 Aug 2004:

"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/3888261.stm

I wouldn't have thought the Thames at Greenwich was wide enough (or
deep enough) for cruise liners, but then I don't actually know how big
they are.

You already get some that come up and moor just downstream of Tower
Bridge; I've seen a couple moored there, most recently within the last
month.
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 26th 04, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"LarryLard" wrote in message
om...

Hang on. Will they fit under the QE2 bridge? Possibly, since this was
designed deliberately high so as not to interfere with shipping. But
what about the Thames Barrier?

I think they can. I saw an item on IIRC BBC London news a couple of
weeks ago about the Thames pilots; they showed them guiding a liner up
towards Greenwich. It was that ship that people actually live on and
travel to different cities around the world, rather than just holidaying
on, can't remember the name off hand.

It did go through the Thames Barrier - looked quite tight though, must
need an incredible amount of skill to do. Very impressive.

James

Old August 26th 04, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
James Penton wrote:

"LarryLard" wrote in message
om...

Hang on. Will they fit under the QE2 bridge? Possibly, since this was
designed deliberately high so as not to interfere with shipping. But
what about the Thames Barrier?

I think they can. I saw an item on IIRC BBC London news a couple of
weeks ago about the Thames pilots; they showed them guiding a liner up
towards Greenwich. It was that ship that people actually live on and
travel to different cities around the world, rather than just holidaying
on, can't remember the name off hand.

It did go through the Thames Barrier - looked quite tight though, must
need an incredible amount of skill to do. Very impressive.

I recall that the maximum width available at the Thames Barrier is the
same as the Panama Canal, and many (most ?) cruise ships are designed to
go through the Panama, so it should not be a serious restriction.

David

Old August 27th 04, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote in message o.uk...
In message , at
02:46:07 on Thu, 26 Aug 2004, LarryLard
remarked:
I really have no idea

Clearly :-(

It's a fair cop.
Old September 1st 04, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:48:57 +0100, gwr4090 wrote:

I recall that the maximum width available at the Thames Barrier is the
same as the Panama Canal, and many (most ?) cruise ships are designed to
go through the Panama, so it should not be a serious restriction.

the Oriana moored at Greenwic just before going into service IIRC

--
u n d e r a c h i e v e r

Heathrow's new Terminal 2 opened this morning Mizter T London Transport 20 June 5th 14 10:09 PM
Booze Cruise No Name London Transport 64 June 7th 08 06:25 AM
Heathrow's new Terminal 5 opens today Mizter T London Transport 16 March 31st 08 08:08 PM
Heathrow to dover cruise terminal [email protected] London Transport 11 July 27th 07 11:02 PM
Travelcard coming from outside London, not going via a London Terminal AstraVanMan London Transport 10 November 27th 06 02:11 PM