Old May 30th 08, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default Booze Cruise

When?

I know that it is on the Circle Line, but is there a specific time that it
kicks off?

Old May 30th 08, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

wrote in message
When?

I know that it is on the Circle Line, but is there a specific time that it
kicks off?

Where did you read this? London Sh**e?

Old May 30th 08, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
() wrote:

wrote in message
When?

I know that it is on the Circle Line, but is there a specific
time that it kicks off?

Where did you read this? London Sh**e?

It was in thelondonpaper too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old May 31st 08, 01:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30 May, 21:20, wrote:
When?

I know that it is on the Circle Line, but is there a specific time that it
kicks off?

See this website...

http://www.lastordersontheunderground.com/

....which, for the sake of posterity, basically has this to say...

quote
Last Orders On The Underground

On June the 1st 2008 - drinking on London public transport will be
made illegal. We will be raising a glass to the end of this British
tradition with a good old knees up. Hurrah.

The Final Circle Line Party
Saturday May 31st
9pm

Liverpool Street Station
Circle Line Clockwise Platform
Rear of the train

/quote

Said event really should have been called 'The Last Round', but I
suppose Tube boozers can't be choosers,

In all likelihood I won't be there, instead I'll be resting in the
nearest thing I can find to a gutter in an Underground station having
spent the day drinking myself into a massive alcoholic stupor on
London's transport system.

Anyway - and I have been away from utl for a bit so I've missed what
I'm sure were many comprehensive debates on Bozza's booze ban here - I
had always been half under the impression that drinking on the Tube
and London buses was never a totally legit activity in the first
place. In the days of yore I can certainly remember been refused entry
onto a bus because I was openly sipping from a modest double magnum of
antifreeze and also seeing others turned away because they were
sampling a drop or three from the kegs of continental lager they had
under their arm or were rolling onto the bus with them.

Me wonders whether powdered alcohol would count as an "open container
of alcohol" under the ban? Such stuff has been produced and sold in
Germany in the past, but seemingly not any longer, though I did find a
mention of another similar Dutch product that was apparently coming to
market but that has seemingly got waylaid en-route, perhaps in a bush
in someone's front garden. Sceptical about the chemistry? I was too,
but it would appear to be possible, albeit at a maximum strength of 5%
ABV or so - see:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/entertain...eal-115314.php
or via http://tinyurl.com/22sncf

Anyway, enough talk of powders, the new inhabitant of the glass
testicle (or BoJo's bollock as I now like to call it) apparently has
some troubles with sneezing when they're around and so might end up
banning them too, unless of course they've been banned already...

Instead, let us all remember the wise words of Mayor Bozza, who on the
night of his election said:
"Let's crack open the drinks tonight, and let's have a cracking
hangover tomorrow."

At least that's how I remember it, I was totally rat arsed by that
point.
Old June 1st 08, 01:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
When?

I know that it is on the Circle Line, but is there a specific time that it
kicks off?

Well it certainly kicked off at Kings Cross - waiting on the westbound
Met (&Cirlce etc) platform at about 22.40 there was a Circle line with
plenty of drunken idiots onboard.

In what they'd probably call a party atmosphere but what a single woman
would call a very uncomfortable one, the 'revellers' as the BBC calls
them used sticks to hit the CCTV cameras to point away from the crowds,
but I am tall enough to reach the cameras – so I moved one back.

They managed to break enough off the train that it first got taken out
of service, but when the staff were too disorganised to shove people
off, they evacuated the station. I hope I'm never at Kings Cross when
it actually needs to be evacuated in a genuine emergency because that
was hardly executed well either: closing shutters at street level
doesn't help people leave the station!

With little prospect of getting on any buses I walked down Euston Road
but each station as far as Baker St was also closed. I was fortunate
enough to get to Marylebone for the last Chiltern train and managed to
get a bus home from Harrow but I don't know what everyone else would've
done.

If it was supposed to be a protest to claim that drinking didn’t need
banning from the tube, I think they’ve just shot themselves in both feet
with quite a lot of bullets indeed.

Old June 1st 08, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 02:26:09 +0100, Thunderbug
wrote:

If it was supposed to be a protest to claim that drinking didn’t need
banning from the tube, I think they’ve just shot themselves in both feet
with quite a lot of bullets indeed.

I don't think it was - I think it was just meant to be a
two-fingers-up ****-up session.

I'm surprised the various authorities didn't find some way to prevent
it happening, such as registering a one-off alcohol ban for 31/5 but
not (as the railway does) publicising it until the last minute.

Actually, it did surprise me that the rule was not introduced with
immediate effect, anyway...

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old June 1st 08, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:38:16 on Sun,
1 Jun 2008, Neil Williams remarked:
I'm surprised the various authorities didn't find some way to prevent
it happening, such as registering a one-off alcohol ban for 31/5 but
not (as the railway does) publicising it until the last minute.

Actually, it did surprise me that the rule was not introduced with
immediate effect, anyway...

Bringing it in after a Saturday night seems a bit odd. Other rules that
co-incide with the start of months at weekends often wait until Monday
to take effect.
Old June 1st 08, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:38:16 on Sun, 1
Jun 2008, Neil Williams remarked:
I'm surprised the various authorities didn't find some way to prevent
it happening, such as registering a one-off alcohol ban for 31/5 but
not (as the railway does) publicising it until the last minute.

Actually, it did surprise me that the rule was not introduced with
immediate effect, anyway...

Bringing it in after a Saturday night seems a bit odd. Other rules that
co-incide with the start of months at weekends often wait until Monday to
take effect.

I am sure that the office of the mayor never thought that anything like this
would happen.

After all, there wasn't a history of parties on the tube so I doubt that
anyone thought that someone would arrange one on the last day.

tim

Old June 1st 08, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"tims next home" wrote in message

I am sure that the office of the mayor never thought that anything like
this would happen.

I'd be surprised if they hadn't thought that sometrhing like this could
happen.

After all, there wasn't a history of parties on the tube so I doubt that
anyone thought that someone would arrange one on the last day.

I think that there have indeed been parties on the tube, albeit nothing like
this.

But I believe that things like what happened on Saturday night have happened
on other undergrounds in Europe. Didn't something happen in Berlin or Moscow
a few years ago, forcing the authorities to basically shut down an entire
line

Old June 1st 08, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tims next home wrote:

I am sure that the office of the mayor never thought that anything like
this would happen.

After all, there wasn't a history of parties on the tube so I doubt that
anyone thought that someone would arrange one on the last day.

tim

Considering the Mayor is an intelligent man with some idea of the
English character, I'd have thought it was entirely predictable, and a
Saturday night after a London team was in (and as it turned out winning)
the Rugby Premiership final wasn't the best timing ever. It was
effectively the equivalent of a teenager issuing an open invitation on
Facebook when her parents are on holiday and finding the house trashed.

However, the Northern and Piccadilly trains I took home at about 11:30
were full but impeccably behaved, and yes we were drinking. By that
time the info boards were showing that something untoward had affected
the Circle and District, and the train missed out Gloucester Road as a
result. The only negative is that I think I forgot to touch out on
leaving the station, which is probably as good a reason as any not to
drink and tube.

I wonder what the extra fare take over a normal Saturday was?

Tom