Old August 29th 04, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Penalty fares

I'm still not sure about what a penalty fare is for. If I arrive at a
station and am too late to queue behind a hoard of uk.rers looking up 17
different combinations of CDR's to save 50p over a saver, but have to get
that train, can I jump on and choose to pay a penalty fare at the other end?
Or would I be done for fare evading?

Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.
Posted in his lunch hour too.

Old August 29th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

A penalty fare is not a fine it is exactly what its called a penalty fare.

It is always a sore point about how long you must wait to buy a ticket and
one that only the train company can answer.

Fare evasion is a different ball game and normally involves a lot more than
£10.00!

Old August 30th 04, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:24:37 on Sun, 29
Aug 2004, Paul Weaver remarked:
I'm still not sure about what a penalty fare is for. If I arrive at a
station and am too late to queue behind a hoard of uk.rers looking up 17
different combinations of CDR's to save 50p over a saver, but have to get
that train, can I jump on and choose to pay a penalty fare at the other end?
Or would I be done for fare evading?

It might depend on whether you sought out anyone who happened to be on
the train selling tickets.