Old June 13th 07, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR Penalty Fares

Hey Everyone,

Having just been issued a £20 Penalty Fare demand from DLR officials,
I wondered if anyone could let me know whether the The British Rail
(Penalty Fares) Act 1989 applies here? If not, if you could possibly
point me to what act does apply?

Many Thanks!
Oliver Beattie

Old June 13th 07, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Oliver Beattie wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Having just been issued a £20 Penalty Fare demand from DLR officials,
I wondered if anyone could let me know whether the The British Rail
(Penalty Fares) Act 1989 applies here? If not, if you could possibly
point me to what act does apply?

Many Thanks!
Oliver Beattie

For penalty fares issued on TfL services the relevant legislation is
Schedule 17 of the Greater London Authority Act 1999.

Peter Smyth

Old June 13th 07, 06:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Oliver Beattie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey Everyone,

Having just been issued a £20 Penalty Fare demand from DLR officials,
I wondered if anyone could let me know whether the The British Rail
(Penalty Fares) Act 1989 applies here? If not, if you could possibly
point me to what act does apply?

Many Thanks!
Oliver Beattie

For railways generally its the Railways Act 1989, The Railways (Penalty
Fares) Regs 1994, and the Penalty Fares Rules 2002; but for TfL it seems to
be the GLA Act 1999 Schedule 17.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1999/90029-be.htm#sch17

Paul S

Old June 13th 07, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 13, 7:27 pm, Oliver Beattie wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Having just been issued a £20 Penalty Fare demand from DLR officials,
I wondered if anyone could let me know whether the The British Rail
(Penalty Fares) Act 1989 applies here? If not, if you could possibly
point me to what act does apply?

Many Thanks!
Oliver Beattie

You got busted, eh? Didn't swipe in I suppose... PAYG?
An important thing to remember also is that if you buy any travelcard
then your Oyster has PAYG enabled; so if you have a zone 1-4 weekly,
and you don't swipe in, and there is otherwise no way of knowing
whence you have travelled, then you are liable for a penalty fare. You
can appeal against that and you may well get away with it.

If you have PAYG only and you didn't swipe in on the DLR, then if you
got caught on the Underground then you would normally be prosecuted
for fare evasion. Perhaps you were lucky. I don't know your circs.

Old June 13th 07, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jun 13, 8:23 pm, Offramp wrote:
On Jun 13, 7:27 pm, Oliver Beattie wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Having just been issued a £20 Penalty Fare demand from DLR officials,
I wondered if anyone could let me know whether the The British Rail
(Penalty Fares) Act 1989 applies here? If not, if you could possibly
point me to what act does apply?

Many Thanks!
Oliver Beattie

You got busted, eh? Didn't swipe in I suppose... PAYG?
An important thing to remember also is that if you buy any travelcard
then your Oyster has PAYG enabled; so if you have a zone 1-4 weekly,
and you don't swipe in, and there is otherwise no way of knowing
whence you have travelled, then you are liable for a penalty fare. You
can appeal against that and you may well get away with it.

There is not yet and has never been any way of knowing for sure where
you've been with a travelcard. If you have a zone 1 - 4 travelcard,
all that the (what are they called? captain?) on the DLR will do is
confirm that it is valid for where you currently are.

I am not aware even of any moves towards forcing people to touch in
with travelcards, but perhaps someone knows more.

I've certainly never done it and never had any problem as a result.

Old June 13th 07, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
Oliver Beattie wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Having just been issued a £20 Penalty Fare demand from DLR officials,
I wondered if anyone could let me know whether the The British Rail
(Penalty Fares) Act 1989 applies here? If not, if you could possibly
point me to what act does apply?

How did you get caught? I think the DLR is inconsistent - there are
gates at Bank but not at other stations, so if you use it on the odd
time as I did to go to City Airport you can wonder - briefly if you're
rushing for a plane - why there was no gate at the other end.

I got caught on the way back, very tired after a long trip - but wasn't
given a penalty - just made to get off and swipe the card at some
mid-point. Several other passengers also had to do the same.

E.
Old June 14th 07, 12:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:27:28 -0700, Oliver Beattie
wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Having just been issued a £20 Penalty Fare demand from DLR officials,
I wondered if anyone could let me know whether the The British Rail
(Penalty Fares) Act 1989 applies here? If not, if you could possibly
point me to what act does apply?

Many Thanks!
Oliver Beattie

its on the TFl web site.
Old June 14th 07, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 13, 7:27 pm, Oliver Beattie wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Having just been issued a £20 Penalty Fare demand from DLR officials,
I wondered if anyone could let me know whether the The British Rail
(Penalty Fares) Act 1989 applies here? If not, if you could possibly
point me to what act does apply?

Many Thanks!
Oliver Beattie

As for using your Oyster card, how to use it is laid down int e
Conditions of Carriage, http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/May2007.pdf.

"6.6. Using a season ticket on your Oyster card
6.6.1. When you use London Underground and National Rail services, you
must touch your Oyster
card on the card reader at both the start and the end of your journey.
If the ticket gates at stations are
open you must still touch your Oyster card on the card reader."

Old June 14th 07, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Having just been issued a £20 Penalty Fare demand from DLR officials,
I wondered if anyone could let me know whether the The British Rail
(Penalty Fares) Act 1989 applies here? If not, if you could possibly
point me to what act does apply?

Many Thanks!
Oliver Beattie

its on the TFl web site.

http://ourcommunity.dlr.co.uk/pdf/co...f_carriage.pdf

"6.6. Using a season ticket on your Oyster card
6.6.1. When you use Docklands Light Railway, London Underground and

Old June 14th 07, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Having just been issued a £20 Penalty Fare demand from DLR officials,
I wondered if anyone could let me know whether the The British Rail
(Penalty Fares) Act 1989 applies here? If not, if you could possibly
point me to what act does apply?

Many Thanks!
Oliver Beattie

its on the TFl web site.

http://ourcommunity.dlr.co.uk/pdf/co...f_carriage.pdf

"6.6. Using a season ticket on your Oyster card
6.6.1. When you use Docklands Light Railway, London Underground and
National Rail
services, you must touch your Oyster card on the card reader at both
the start and the end
of your journey. If the ticket gates at stations are open you must
still touch your Oyster card
on the card reader."

The paragraph quoted is nonsensical, since it refers in general to
touching at the start and end of the journey where there might be no
Oyster reader "when you use Docklands Light Railway, London
Underground and National Rail".

There is also a following paragraph about presenting your Oyster card
for inspection at stations where there is no reader.

This doesn't really cover the situation where your ticket is inspected
while you are travelling, and no one can tell whether or not you are
travelling to or from a gated station.

In practice, I have never had any problem presenting a travelcard
valid where I currently am, regardless of any previous touching.