Old September 10th 04, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Default Bus driver complaint and OYBike

David Splett wrote:

Unfortunately the thought process of most drivers doesn't extend this far.
I'd say bikes cause far less delay to cars than any form of motorized
vehicle.

Yesterday cycling up the Strand to Trafalgar Square the motorised
vehicles were causing me a lot of delay. I got off and walked along the
pavement and was still way quicker than the cars, taxis, vans and buses
in the queue

Tony

Old September 10th 04, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Tom Anderson wrote:

Sadly, this also seems to apply at red lights. I've lost count of how many
times i've cycled up alongside a line of traffic at some lights and come
to rest a little way ahead of the stop line (i'm a sinner, i know), only
for the car next to me to rev up and move forward all of six inches to
draw level ...

Did that yesterday in London to get to the ASL. When I got there the
car at the front sounded its horn and then pulled away through a red
light. Sometimes getting in front of the cyclist is just too important
for some drivers.

Tony
Old September 10th 04, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

"Ian F." writes:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

Sadly, this also seems to apply at red lights. I've lost count of how many
times i've cycled up alongside a line of traffic at some lights and come
to rest a little way ahead of the stop line (i'm a sinner, i know), only
for the car next to me to rev up and move forward all of six inches to
draw level ...

rant

I downright refuse to stop before that green bit at the front of the lights
that meant for cyclists - I always stop on it! Why should the miserable,
pavement-pedallers have any more of the road than they already have? They've
got one lane, now they want two extra! When they pay road tax like we do,
then I might consider it!

/rant

Good point. It's important to get your money's worth from your road
tax.

Perhaps we cyclists should run a critical mass on the M25 to get our
money's worth from out income and other taxes ;-^)

Tony
Old September 10th 04, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Ian F. wrote:

I just hate cyclists and the way they
(present company excepted) reckon they own the road - riding on the
pavement, jumping red lights, yelling abuse at elderly people and so on.

We learnt if from the motorists ;-)

Tony
Old September 10th 04, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Henry wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 10 Sep 2004:

By the way, you never could get Eurosport on Freeview, that was back in the
days of ITV Digital.

I know, which was why we got ITV Digital in the first place! And we
can't get satellite here, as it's a block of flats (although we hope
they will be putting up a communal dish soon, it can't be too soon for
me, as the skating season is just starting), there's no cable, and
reception on Freeview and its predecessors is ruddy awful. Sigh.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old September 10th 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Ian F. wrote:

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message

Do you not think that the best way to make the roads a better place is
to set a good example, rather than try and out-idiot the idiots?

I've learned, today, the difference between Real Cyclists and People On
Bikes. I knew nothing about that before. Thanks.

Ian

Its easy to tell them apart. Real Cyclists are invisible to motorists
who only see POBs ;-)

Tony
Old September 10th 04, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Ian F. wrote:

Isn't there anything you cyclists can do, as a group, to stop these idiots
cycling on pavements, running red lights and so on? Isn't there a pressure
organisation or something? How can we (pedestrians) help?

You could always lobby your councillors to stop painting those stupid
white lines and bicycle signs on the pavements. The majority of real
cyclists would happily be rid of them and take their place as part of
the normal traffic on roads.

Tony
Old September 10th 04, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Tony Raven typed

Its easy to tell them apart. Real Cyclists are invisible to motorists
who only see POBs ;-)

Sorry mate, I didn't see you... ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old September 10th 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:34:08 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote in message :

I'm not claiming it *is* clever. It's just my daft little protest against
people using our roads who don't pay for them! ;-)

Ah, so you haven't heard that cyclists have above-average income, are
more likely to own a house, a car and any other measure of material
wealth except a satellite dish (and that's probably changed now the
Tour is on ITV2). In other words, cyclists probably pay more tax than
you do. And then leave the car at home - smart people!

I'm getting a feeling of deja-vu

I do drive my vehicle correctly. And I'm not tense, or stressed, or prone

flagellatory flights of fancy. I just hate cyclists and the way they
(present company excepted) reckon they own the road - riding on the
pavement, jumping red lights, yelling abuse at elderly people and so on.

Ah, so you are going to break your word and drive incorrectly (i.e.
illegally) based on the behaviour of a small group of cyclists who,
incidentally, are every bit as unpopular with us cyclists as they are
with cagers.

I wouldn't classify them as a small group, especially in London.

Do you not think that the best way to make the roads a better place is
to set a good example, rather than try and out-idiot the idiots?

Ahh, sense.

Old September 10th 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:05:14 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote in message
:

POB's tend to be relatively slow cyclists (except for those couriers
that I've read about). So a POB will sail past a Real Cyclist at a red
light, then get in the way when the Real Cyclist catches up after the
lights change. Repeatedly, when there are as many traffic lights as in
London.

I have nothing to add to this; i just wanted to say that THIS DRIVES ME
ABSOLUTELY ****ING INSANE!!! These idiots should not be allowed to ride a
bike. Or to breed. Or, in fact, to live.

It pains me, as a notorious woolly liberal, to have to agree
wholeheartedly. Riding in the smoke the other day along one of those
hellish contraflow cycle lanes bounded by high kerbs (so overtaking
was almost impossible) a long line of cyclists finally managed to pass
an 8mph old codger on a gas-pipe Raleigh, only to have him wobble
straight past, across a red light and into the next section ahead of
the line. I really did come very close to kicking the old fart off
his bike. And I really am the most gentle of souls, I can only
remember ever hitting one person in my life, and that in self-defence
after I was amushed by a group of yobs.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Oyster Complaint John[_3_] London Transport 1 March 9th 09 05:12 PM
Taxi complaint - how do I make one? David FitzGerald London Transport 34 September 15th 04 06:50 AM
Taxi complaint - how do I make one? [email protected] London Transport 0 September 11th 04 04:45 PM
OYbike Paul Weaver London Transport 2 June 29th 04 06:32 PM
Bus driver training? Redonda London Transport 19 February 22nd 04 04:54 PM