Old September 20th 04, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Multiple Buses

Terry Harper wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 20 Sep 2004:

Back in the 1950s, when there was a home match at Sheffield Wednesday's
ground at Hillsborough, you could see two long lines of trams waiting on
Catch Bar Lane until the end of the map, all going to "City". Did London
ever enjoy such a sight?

I have seen old photos of line upon line of buses - mostly open-topped -
which had taken people to the Epsom Derby (in those days, I believe, run
on a Wednesday).
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old September 20th 04, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:42:25 +0000 (UTC), Joe
wrote:

After seeing 4 (yes, 4) 188 buses in a row outside Surrey Quays today, I
was wondering, what is the biggest number of buses anyone has ever seen
in a row?

Oxford Road, Manchester (outside the university) I once saw 15
double-deckers nose to tail. Knowing that route they were probably all
42/142 or 43/143 ...
--

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
Please reply to the group
Old September 20th 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:15:11 +0100, Annabel Smyth
wrote:

Terry Harper wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 20 Sep 2004:

Back in the 1950s, when there was a home match at Sheffield Wednesday's
ground at Hillsborough, you could see two long lines of trams waiting on
Catch Bar Lane until the end of the map, all going to "City". Did London
ever enjoy such a sight?

I have seen old photos of line upon line of buses - mostly open-topped -
which had taken people to the Epsom Derby (in those days, I believe, run
on a Wednesday).

I recall lines of buses serving the Derby from Morden and from Epsom
station, but they were open staircase (STs??), not open top, by that
time. Open topped ones were hired and parked by the course as private
stands.

Haven't been there for years but don't the raceday special services
still run to some extent?
--
Peter Lawrence
Old September 26th 04, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london
RBD RBD is offline

John Rowland wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

After seeing 4 (yes, 4) 188 buses in a row outside
Surrey Quays today, I was wondering, what is the
biggest number of buses anyone has ever seen in a row?

In the early 1980s, 253s were infamous for travelling in groups of 7, and I
witnessed this myself. Now that the route has been split into the 253 and
254, you probably only get 3 or 4 of each number in a row.

It was still possible for this in the 1990s. I witnessed the 253s in
7's on a number of times, mainly along the Clapton Common part of the
route. At times buses were scheduled every 2 minutes, so it easily
happened.

R.