Old October 12th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Epping-Ongar Railway services commence

(TheOneKEA) wrote the following in:
om

Today (Sun Oct 10, 2004), the Epping Ongar Railway Preservation
Society ran a train service using a single class 117 DMU from
Ongar to North Weald and back; a week previously, almost 10 years
to the day since the Central Line service was withdrawn, a test
service was run on Oct 3.

http://www.eorailway.co.uk/news.htm

I wonder if this means that the EOR actually has a future. I also
wonder about that DMU livery, and the precise relationship between
the original EOR company that bought the line and this new EORPS
that ran the trains today.

Am I right in thinking that it is currently only Ongar to North Weald
without any stop at Epping? If so, that's pretty inconvenient and a bit
of a shame.

--
message by the incredible Robin May.
"The British don't like successful people" - said by British failures

Who is Abi Titmuss? What is she? Why is she famous?
http://robinmay.fotopic.net

Old October 12th 04, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, simon wrote:

with the almost certain expansion of Stansted airport, in the long term,
returning the Epping-Ongar route might make sense.

Hang on, just how much are they planning to extend Stansted? I make it
about 20 km from the airport to Ongar ...

tom

--
I content myself with the Speculative part [...], I care not for the Practick. I seldom bring any thing to use, 'tis not my way. Knowledge is my ultimate end. -- Sir Nicholas Gimcrack

Old October 12th 04, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Oct 2004 19:50:55 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

(TheOneKEA) wrote the following in:
. com

Today (Sun Oct 10, 2004), the Epping Ongar Railway Preservation
Society ran a train service using a single class 117 DMU from
Ongar to North Weald and back; a week previously, almost 10 years
to the day since the Central Line service was withdrawn, a test
service was run on Oct 3.

http://www.eorailway.co.uk/news.htm

I wonder if this means that the EOR actually has a future. I also
wonder about that DMU livery, and the precise relationship between
the original EOR company that bought the line and this new EORPS
that ran the trains today.

Am I right in thinking that it is currently only Ongar to North Weald
without any stop at Epping? If so, that's pretty inconvenient and a bit
of a shame.

Correct. There's no space at Epping (even on a Sunday) to accomodate a
heritage service. Also the line is blocked by trees/undegrowth and
needs clearing between North Weald and Epping.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. Dick Cavett
Old October 12th 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, simon wrote:

with the almost certain expansion of Stansted airport, in the long
term, returning the Epping-Ongar route might make sense.

Hang on, just how much are they planning to extend Stansted? I make it
about 20 km from the airport to Ongar ...

Some modern aircraft need very long runways.

:-)

Old October 12th 04, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, simon wrote:

with the almost certain expansion of Stansted
airport, in the long term, returning the
Epping-Ongar route might make sense.

Hang on, just how much are they planning to extend
Stansted? I make it about 20 km from the airport to Ongar ...

I believe he meant that a bigger Stansted will need more staff, and they
will have to live somewhere and have a way of travelling from their homes to
Stansted.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 13th 04, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , PRAR
writes
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:34:33 +0100, simon
wrote:

I work in North Weald and personally, I'd like to see a proper LU
service return to this route. Selfish I know, but It's a bloody nuisance
trying to park at Epping when I have to go into the city, 'specially
when I could walk to North Weald station.

There seemed to be a very large car park at Epping station, and on a
weekday quite a few buses between Epping and Ongar via North Weald.

Large car park true... usually full-up by 8.00am.

Given that John Prescott is going to approve a massive home building in
this area coupled with the almost certain expansion of Stansted airport,
in the long term, returning the Epping-Ongar route might make sense.

Sense is no use to the railway, money is the key.

Point taken.

Simon

Old October 13th 04, 07:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, simon wrote:

with the almost certain expansion of Stansted airport, in the long term,
returning the Epping-Ongar route might make sense.

Hang on, just how much are they planning to extend Stansted? I make it
about 20 km from the airport to Ongar ...

tom

The proposals are for 1, 2 and 3 extra runways.

Yes, Ongar is 20km from Stansted but is effectively only 1 stop up the
M11 (via A414) and hence, the need for extra housing within reasonable
access to the airport. Apart from the M11, the Cambridge - Liverpool St
line (spur to the airport) rail link is the only transport link to
London - and it's not that reliable! Mind you, is any rail service ;-)

Airport workers living around the North Weald / Ongar area might benefit
from a direct public transport link to London.

Simon
Old October 13th 04, 08:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(TheOneKEA) wrote in message . com...
A dreary DMU running through some flat dreary countryside. Yeah , that'll
have the tourist flocking in in droves. Why did they bother.

Because the EORPS, past sins aside, feels that some folks really do
want to ride a so-called "dreary DMU" through the Essex countryside.
If half of their newfounnd plans come to frutition they may have
something on their hands.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I like preserved railways but this
holds zero interest for me. If I want to ride on some knackered DMU there
are plenty still running on the national network through much more
spectactular scenery.

If they'd
been running old LU rolling stock borrowed from Acton or the Cravens group
with a track connection at Epping it would have been wonderful.

Unlikely. The HSE (or the HMRI) would have killed them through
cottonesque nanny-state policies WRT unshielded third and fourth rail.

Possibly. But I like to think that even the idiots at the HSE would have
allowed it if it was a simple continuation of the Central Line albeit under
different ownership.

As I said previously, past sins aside I hope the EORPS really is able
to get things going again.

Well its taken 10 years just to get a DMU to run. And unlike other preserved
lines they didn't even have to relay any track! Call me a cynic but like I
said in another post , in 10 years time the line will be derelict again IMO.

B2003
Old October 13th 04, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
m...

Well its taken 10 years just to get a DMU to run.
And unlike other preserved
lines they didn't even have to relay any track!

They lowered the alignment beneath the M11 - not a small task.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 13th 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...em.bc.ic.ac.uk

From: Sunil )
Subject: Epping to Ongar: expected to open by Easter 2000, six
months early
Newsgroups: uk.railway, uk.transport.london
Date: 1999/10/22

[Madcap Plan alert!]

How about *somehow* building a 'South Essex Railway' from Harlow,
south to Epping, utilise the old Ongar route and continue eastwards to
Brentwood and Shenfield, thus enabling a Cambridge/Stansted to
Southend service to be run?

[ducks for cover]

Sunil