Old October 11th 04, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Dumb traffic lights

Who are the idiots who program traffic lights these days? I tend to drive
quite a lot late at nights when the traffic is quiet and the amount of times
I'm stuck behind a red light for 2 minutes when there is zero traffic coming
in from the other direction (and there was no traffic even before the light
went red).
Not only does this waste fuel, cause extra pollution and waste peoples time
but its VERY irritating. A good example is the lights on Purley Way in
Croydon where the A23 runs through a deserted (at night) retail area and
there are about 5 sets of braindead lights showing green to the feeder roads
of large closed stores. But they're everywhere it seems in London. Is this
done on purpose just to slow traffic or is money just being saved by not
building in infra red detectors or pressure pads for the lights? (Though
strangely there seems to be enough money to equip these lights with cameras to
spot red light jumpers, funny that).

B2003

Old October 11th 04, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
A good example is the lights on Purley Way in
Croydon where the A23 runs through a deserted (at night) retail area and
there are about 5 sets of braindead lights showing green to the feeder

roads
of large closed stores.

On the other side of the coin, a bit further south, the lights on the
southbound A23 at Chipstead Valley Road in Coulsdon only stay red for about
1 second late in the evening (and have for years). Hardly gives any time
for anything to turn out safely!

If they change to amber as you pass Waitrose, you can be pretty sure they
will be back to green by the time you get there (though better not to rely
on it!).

Old October 11th 04, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Boltar
writes
Who are the idiots who program traffic lights these days? I tend to
drive quite a lot late at nights when the traffic is quiet and the
amount of times I'm stuck behind a red light for 2 minutes when there is
zero traffic coming in from the other direction (and there was no
traffic even before the light went red). Not only does this waste fuel,
cause extra pollution and waste peoples time but its VERY irritating. A
good example is the lights on Purley Way in Croydon where the A23 runs
through a deserted (at night) retail area and there are about 5 sets of
braindead lights showing green to the feeder roads of large closed
stores. But they're everywhere it seems in London. Is this done on
purpose just to slow traffic

Yes. That's Ken Livingstone's policy.

--
Thoss
Old October 11th 04, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

thoss wrote in :

In article , Boltar
writes
Who are the idiots who program traffic lights these days? I tend to
drive quite a lot late at nights when the traffic is quiet and the
amount of times I'm stuck behind a red light for 2 minutes when there is
zero traffic coming in from the other direction (and there was no
traffic even before the light went red). Not only does this waste fuel,
cause extra pollution and waste peoples time but its VERY irritating. A
good example is the lights on Purley Way in Croydon where the A23 runs
through a deserted (at night) retail area and there are about 5 sets of
braindead lights showing green to the feeder roads of large closed
stores. But they're everywhere it seems in London. Is this done on
purpose just to slow traffic

Yes. That's Ken Livingstone's policy.

Do you think he will ever notice that Buses are traffic too?

Old October 11th 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Jackman wrote:

thoss wrote in :

In article , Boltar
writes

Who are the idiots who program traffic lights these days? I tend to
drive quite a lot late at nights when the traffic is quiet and the
amount of times I'm stuck behind a red light for 2 minutes when there is
zero traffic coming in from the other direction (and there was no
traffic even before the light went red). Not only does this waste fuel,
cause extra pollution and waste peoples time but its VERY irritating. A
good example is the lights on Purley Way in Croydon where the A23 runs
through a deserted (at night) retail area and there are about 5 sets of
braindead lights showing green to the feeder roads of large closed
stores. But they're everywhere it seems in London. Is this done on
purpose just to slow traffic

Yes. That's Ken Livingstone's policy.

Do you think he will ever notice that Buses are traffic too?

Nope. He can't think beyond the dogma that is the true cause of London's
traffic problems.

But unfortunately it is a fashion that has been wholeheartedly adopted
by many local councils with their money-wasting road engineering.

--
Nick H (UK)

Old October 12th 04, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

--- Nick H (UK) ranted [about red traffic lights]:

But unfortunately it is a fashion that has been wholeheartedly
adopted by many local councils with their money-wasting
road engineering.

Really? Well, I just wish it would be adopted by Croydon council.

They're supposed to be responsible for the traffic lights at the
junction of Westow Hill and Gipsy Hill. When the council introduced
their badly-designed one-way system a year or so ago, the traffic lights
were changed so that now they no longer stop on all reds in all
directions, halting all the traffic and allowing pedestrians to cross
safely. There is *always* traffic turning into Westow Hill from
somewhere. You have to dash between cars each time you cross the road
there. It's ridiculous.

In fact, I'd love to see more lights on red for longer in my local area,
making it far more pedestrian friendly. But there's just no sign of it
happening at all. I suspect the phenomenon of increasing red lights is
just one of the many imaginary threats that only exist in motorists'
collective paranoia. If that's what driving can do to your sanity, I'm
glad I don't do it.

Old October 12th 04, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

thoss wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 11 Oct 2004:

In article , Boltar
writes
Who are the idiots who program traffic lights these days? I tend to
drive quite a lot late at nights when the traffic is quiet and the
amount of times I'm stuck behind a red light for 2 minutes when there is
zero traffic coming in from the other direction (and there was no
traffic even before the light went red). Not only does this waste fuel,
cause extra pollution and waste peoples time but its VERY irritating. A
good example is the lights on Purley Way in Croydon where the A23 runs
through a deserted (at night) retail area and there are about 5 sets of
braindead lights showing green to the feeder roads of large closed
stores. But they're everywhere it seems in London. Is this done on
purpose just to slow traffic

Yes. That's Ken Livingstone's policy.

The maddening thing is it seems to be just South of the River. Last
night, unusually, we had occasion to drive out of London to the M4 and
beyond. The major hold-ups were at the lights South of the River - once
we crossed Chelsea Bridge our journey (via South Kensington, reaching
the A4 at Gloucester Road) was very quick indeed, and we arrived at our
destination a good 30 minutes earlier than we thought.

What does Ken Livingstone have against South Londoners?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old October 12th 04, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message ...
happening at all. I suspect the phenomenon of increasing red lights is
just one of the many imaginary threats that only exist in motorists'
collective paranoia. If that's what driving can do to your sanity, I'm
glad I don't do it.

It amazes me how non drivers always seem to think they have a clue about
what its like to drive. Newflash: You don't! Plus most people I've met who
don't drive don't because they're simply not up to it and either freaked out
while having lessons or constantly failed their test. So until you've got
some driving experience why not put a sock in your backside cos thats where
you're speaking out of.

B2003
Old October 12th 04, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 12 Oct 2004:

It amazes me how non drivers always seem to think they have a clue about
what its like to drive. Newflash: You don't! Plus most people I've met who
don't drive don't because they're simply not up to it and either freaked out
while having lessons or constantly failed their test. So until you've got
some driving experience why not put a sock in your backside cos thats where
you're speaking out of.

Don't forget, many of us non-drivers have to be passengers, and put up
with our spouse's increasing paranoia. Me, I'm in no hurry, but get
stopped for more than about 10 seconds, the fingers start tapping on the
steering-wheel, he starts wondering whether to change lane.... starts
muttering under his breath.... sounds familiar?

So we might not know what it is like to drive, but we do know, and how,
the state of mind of a driver stuck behind a red light that has been on
red for about 3 minutes, then changes to green for about 5 seconds.....
especially if not quite enough time for the journey has been allowed.

Old October 12th 04, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

--- Annabel Smyth said:

Boltar wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 12 Oct 2004:

Don't feed the troll.