Old October 13th 04, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default A Moorgate to London Bridge Tunnel (Old chestnut)

"R.C. Payne" wrote in message ...
Solar Penguin wrote:
--- Jim Brown said:

If the Bank of England sacrificed its vaults (Very little use for
them now, with the gold sold off) and Cannon Street St was
put underground (Plus a new tunnel under the Thames), would
a tunnel connecting Moorgate and London Bridge be feasible?
Or do the tube lines around there make it impossible?

Interesting idea, Jim... There's also the problem of the slope down
from the high-level platforms at London Bridge to below the level of the
river bed. Especially since the line also has to curve from east-west
to north-south as it drops.

Surely the way to make this work is to build new tube-level platforms at
Cannon St and London Bridge, and break the surface east of London
Bridge? Of course that would increase your price by just a few quid.

Well yes I kind of presumed underground platforms at London Bridge but
I didnt make that explicit. But as a ball park figure and assuming you
could slot it into the London Bridge rebuild I'm guessing it would
cost £3/4 billion. Of course the question then is which line(s) south
of the river would be best to used for a new cross-london service?

Old October 13th 04, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

Don't worry , at the speed things are progressing I suspect it'll soon be
renamed Thameslink 3000.

usually is on uk.r

Peter

Old October 13th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at
02:33:12 on Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Jim Brown remarked:
Well yes I kind of presumed underground platforms at London Bridge but
I didnt make that explicit.

Isn't the Jubilee Line in the way?
Old October 13th 04, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 09:17:45 on
Wed, 13 Oct 2004, David Hansen
remarked:
But it has to be closed to be able to extend the platform at Farringdon.

It does not have to be closed. The plan is to close it because,
apparently, of a RI diktat regarding level platforms.

The bit of track north of the station is *very* steep, however; if not
the steepest on the national network, at least in the top 5.
Old October 13th 04, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"David E. Belcher" wrote in message
om...

I seem to recall that in the post war plans for Londons Transport, one
of the new lines to be built was an extension of the Northern City line
from Moorgate, through the City and to new underground platforms at
London Bridge and linking with the Crystal Palace (High Level) branch
line of the SR.

There were certainly thoughts of extending from Moorgate to serve a
new station (i.e. not meeting up with other lines at Bank) near the
Bank of England itself many years ago, and a few yards of tunnel were
actually dug. This idea never really got past the drawing board stage,
though.

For years, I've advocated joining the Northern City Line from Moorgate up
with the W&C line at Bank to form the basis of a new key route through the
City and turning two rubbish lines into something useful.

Tunnel from Moorgate to Bank, astation at Blackfriars, and a tunnel to the
surface between Waterloo and Vauxhall. Can't be a lot of work compared to
most of the schemes that are proposed these days.

And yet the result would be massively useful - Herts/North London to SW
London/Surrey via Finsbury Park, Old Street, Bank, Blackfriars, Waterloo and
Vauxhall.

Routes such as Woking direct to Bank or Palmers Green direct to Blackfriars
or Wimbledon to Finsbury Park. I can't believe no-one has ever seriously
considered this idea before.

BTN

Old October 13th 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:32:11 +0100 someone who may be Roland Perry
wrote this:-

It does not have to be closed. The plan is to close it because,
apparently, of a RI diktat regarding level platforms.

The bit of track north of the station is *very* steep, however; if not
the steepest on the national network, at least in the top 5.

It is indeed steep. However, I very much doubt if it as steep as the
ramps on the profiled platforms in manchester.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Old October 13th 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:
[...]

You'd have to enlarge the Waterloo & City line which would be extremely
expensive - it might even be easier to just build a new line (i.e.
Crossrail 2!).

Don't forget that the Waterloo & City line is far from rubbish; it's
extremely busy in the peaks with commuters arriving at Waterloo, and
unless you send *all* SWT services through your route, everyone will
still end up piling onto the new through trains which will already be
heavily loaded. A high frequency would probably be difficult to achieve.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old October 13th 04, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Roland Perry wrote in message o.uk...
In message , at
02:33:12 on Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Jim Brown remarked:
Well yes I kind of presumed underground platforms at London Bridge but
I didnt make that explicit.

Isn't the Jubilee Line in the way?

This was my original question, is it physically feasible or is the
ground to congested around there with other burrowings?
Old October 13th 04, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at
08:14:53 on Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Jim Brown remarked:
Isn't the Jubilee Line in the way?

This was my original question, is it physically feasible or is the
ground to congested around there with other burrowings?

Are you attempting to shadow the Cannon St line, but Underground? If so,
I think you'd need to cross under the Northern, and be parallel to,
under, the Jubilee. Don't forget that they are planning to build a huge
tower block over LB station, too. The foundations for that are going to
be "interesting", in any event!
Old October 13th 04, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

[...]

Hmmm.... I thought the W&C tunnels were big enough to take regular stock...
Thought I had vague memories of NSE trains running on the line before the
management went over to LUL, but could well be wrong.

Don't forget that the Waterloo & City line is far from rubbish;

I've only had about two legitimate causes to use it in my life. But I can
see why it might be popular with some very very conformist passengers who
live in Surrey, wear the same suit every day, and work 9-5 in the City.

it's extremely busy in the peaks with commuters arriving at Waterloo, and
unless you send *all* SWT services through your route, everyone will still
end up piling onto the new through trains which will already be heavily
loaded. A high frequency would probably be difficult to achieve.

There's probably a good case for duplicating the track there anyway.

Then the line could potentially run a mixture of short-run services using
tube stock (terminating at Waterloo when coming from the north, and at Bank
when approaching from the South) and longer distances with mainline trains.

BTN

Cannon Street / Moorgate tunnel? Abigail Brady London Transport 28 October 14th 07 11:34 PM
A 15-year-old, a bridge, a rope, and a can of spray paint Mark Brader London Transport 1 March 5th 07 10:44 AM
New DLR station, and old Thames Tunnel John Rowland London Transport 7 December 1st 06 07:08 PM
Old bridge over Brick Lane Martin J London Transport 3 April 25th 05 02:13 PM
Trains to Moorgate now go via Liverpool Street John London Transport 3 November 24th 03 01:30 PM