Old October 12th 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL 5-year investment programme

No-one's yet mentioned the TfL 5-year £10bn investment programme,
announced today, which uses the borrowing powers recently given to the
Mayor.

Press release at:
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/press...es/0410/12.asp

Full document at:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...-year-plan.pdf

Reading one of the news sites, someone complained that Crossrail and
Thameslink 2000 weren't included - but since Crossrail is being arranged
separately and TL2K isn't a TfL project, I don't think this is something
to latch on to desperately.

Most projects in the Plan have been announced before, but there are a
few items of interest:
* Tube air-cooled trains project, which has been mentioned before but
for which I don't have any details (would anyone be able to point me at
any?)
* Bus Countdown replacement system which someone mentioned on here
recently. The timescale in the document calls it "Bus Countdown next
stop & audio".
* Oyster rollout to all of Silverlink Metro which I think many people
guessed at.
* The computer-generated picture of Hoxton station uses the brown TfL
Rail roundel on the wall of the viaduct (I thought that was an
interesting touch!).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old October 12th 04, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:41:42 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

No-one's yet mentioned the TfL 5-year £10bn investment programme,
announced today, which uses the borrowing powers recently given to the
Mayor.

Press release at:
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/press...es/0410/12.asp

Full document at:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...-year-plan.pdf

Reading one of the news sites, someone complained that Crossrail and
Thameslink 2000 weren't included - but since Crossrail is being arranged
separately and TL2K isn't a TfL project, I don't think this is something
to latch on to desperately.

Most projects in the Plan have been announced before, but there are a
few items of interest:

well precisely. The biggest disappointment is that there is nothing very
radical in terms of pushing the bus network onto the next level which
was part of the TfL proposition to government. Looks like that battle
has been lost - at least for now.

The other disappointment concerns the relegation of tram based solutions
but I imagine this reflects the now quite strong "anti" bias in
government and the understandable decision to pursue LU schemes while
they have the chance as they will deliver more benefit overall.

* Tube air-cooled trains project, which has been mentioned before but
for which I don't have any details (would anyone be able to point me at
any?)

there was an option in the SSL PPP Contract for air conditioned trains
on the SSL network. That option has been exercised. The balance of the
"air cooled" work relates to trials with additional water pipes to cool
deep tube tunnels - as suggested via the LU / Mayor "gives us your
bright ideas" initiative. No idea what lines it will be trialled on.

* Bus Countdown replacement system which someone mentioned on here
recently. The timescale in the document calls it "Bus Countdown next
stop & audio".

Well the Band 3 radio, AVL and Countdown systems are to be replaced with
one overall system which make a huge amount of sense. The next stop and
audio facility will probably be driven off the back of the AVL system
and interfaced into the on bus displays and PA systems which are
prevalent in DDA compatible vehicles. This is my educated guess.

* Oyster rollout to all of Silverlink Metro which I think many people
guessed at.

I would agree that there is no great surprise. I'm waiting for the
decision that hives Silverlink County off into the West Coast franchise
and then moves all of Silverlink Metro into TfL Rail. That would fit in
very nicely with the DLR takeover of NLL south of Stratford, the removal
of through Southern Railway trains from the West London Line as well as
the "franchising" cough of the East London Line extension. The
transfer of Silverlink Metro en block to TfL Rail turns that division
into an operator overnight. The next interesting question is whether the
Infrastructure Controller role moves across in whole or in part - the
performance of Network Rail (with its wider powers following the rail
review) will be crucial in framing how this issue is resolved. All IMO,
of course.

* The computer-generated picture of Hoxton station uses the brown TfL
Rail roundel on the wall of the viaduct (I thought that was an
interesting touch!).

Yes - I did a bit of a double take on that but it fits in with my
"logic" above about ELLX and Silverlink Metro.
--
Paul C

Old October 12th 04, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote in
:

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:41:42 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

No-one's yet mentioned the TfL 5-year £10bn investment programme,
announced today, which uses the borrowing powers recently given to the
Mayor.

well precisely. The biggest disappointment is that there is nothing very
radical in terms of pushing the bus network onto the next level which
was part of the TfL proposition to government. Looks like that battle
has been lost - at least for now.

The other disappointment concerns the relegation of tram based solutions
but I imagine this reflects the now quite strong "anti" bias in
government and the understandable decision to pursue LU schemes while
they have the chance as they will deliver more benefit overall.

The biggest disappointment is just how little you get for £ 10,000,000,000
these days...

Old October 12th 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Jackman wrote:

The biggest disappointment is just how little you get for £ 10,000,000,000
these days...

It's a lack of balls on the part of politicians. My personal favourite
is http://www.personalrapidtransit.com/. A similar UK designed system is
being considered for Swindon[1] at the moment. IIRC ~£8 million/mile as
opposed to ~50 million/mile for light rail/tram of approx similar capacity.

[1] http://www.southwestrda.org.uk/news/...ReleaseID=1089
Colin Smith: Colin.Smith at archeus.plus.com
Old October 13th 04, 07:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:50:07 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

there was an option in the SSL PPP Contract for air conditioned trains
on the SSL network. That option has been exercised. The balance of the
"air cooled" work relates to trials with additional water pipes to cool
deep tube tunnels - as suggested via the LU / Mayor "gives us your
bright ideas" initiative. No idea what lines it will be trialled on.

Isn't this just exactly the same as the chunnel?, Im not sure where the
bright idea was needed. I assume as you say "additional" as its already in
use on the underground?

Steve

Old October 13th 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Mr. Precision wrote:

David Jackman wrote:

The biggest disappointment is just how little you get for £
10,000,000,000 these days...

It's a lack of balls on the part of politicians. My personal favourite
is http://www.personalrapidtransit.com/.

Yes, this is what we need: a safe, clean, quiet, energy-efficient urban
transport system, using small, light vehicles, with no schedules or fixed
routes, which delivers people wherever they want to go, 24 hours a day, ~3
times faster than cars or buses. And kids can use it. All that, and it's
cheap, too.

The thing is, it's already been done: IT'S CALLED A BICYCLE!

Jesus.

tom

ps 10 billion would buy about 100 million bikes ...

--
POTATO POWER IS UNTRACEABLE POWER

Old October 13th 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:03:45 GMT, Steve Peake
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:50:07 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

there was an option in the SSL PPP Contract for air conditioned trains
on the SSL network. That option has been exercised. The balance of the
"air cooled" work relates to trials with additional water pipes to cool
deep tube tunnels - as suggested via the LU / Mayor "gives us your
bright ideas" initiative. No idea what lines it will be trialled on.

Isn't this just exactly the same as the chunnel?, Im not sure where the
bright idea was needed. I assume as you say "additional" as its already in
use on the underground?

Don't know if it is the same as the Chunnel, I mean additional in the
context of more equipment being placed inside or close to our tunnels,
not that there are any such water pipes for this purpose there at
present. I am not aware that we have any cooling facilities for the
tunnels which use water - the typical arrangement is to use the trains
to push air through the tunnels and vent shafts and fans. From what I
understand the only place with remotely modern equipment is the Jubilee
Line Extension part of the network.
--
Paul C

Old October 13th 04, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Jackman wrote:

The biggest disappointment is just how little you get for £
10,000,000,000 these days...

It's a lack of balls on the part of politicians. My personal favourite
is http://www.personalrapidtransit.com/.

Yes, this is what we need: a safe, clean, quiet, energy-efficient urban
transport system, using small, light vehicles, with no schedules or fixed
routes, which delivers people wherever they want to go, 24 hours a day, ~3
times faster than cars or buses. And kids can use it. All that, and it's
cheap, too.

The thing is, it's already been done: IT'S CALLED A BICYCLE!

And 99.9% of journeys are made on other forms of transport. Tell you
anything? People would rather use anything as long as it isn't a
bicycle. On a bike you have to put effort in, you get tired, you get
cold, you get wet, you get dirty, you get knocked down, you get sweaty
and Oh, you only travel at 15kph.

If you believe bicycles are the answer, you haven't thought the question
through.

Colin Smith: Colin.Smith at archeus.plus.com
Old October 13th 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mr. Precision" wrote the following
in:

And 99.9% of journeys are made on other forms of transport. Tell
you anything? People would rather use anything as long as it isn't
a bicycle. On a bike you have to put effort in, you get tired, you
get cold, you get wet, you get dirty, you get knocked down, you
get sweaty and Oh, you only travel at 15kph.

And this is why people are getting fatter.

--
message by the incredible Robin May.
"The British don't like successful people" - said by British failures

Who is Abi Titmuss? What is she? Why is she famous?
http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Old October 13th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:49:23 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

Don't know if it is the same as the Chunnel, I mean additional in the
context of more equipment being placed inside or close to our tunnels,
not that there are any such water pipes for this purpose there at
present. I am not aware that we have any cooling facilities for the
tunnels which use water - the typical arrangement is to use the trains
to push air through the tunnels and vent shafts and fans. From what I
understand the only place with remotely modern equipment is the Jubilee
Line Extension part of the network.

I've the chunnel ones on tv, big 40cm pipes in both running tunnels with
chilled water flowing through. I guess any tunnel ones must be quite
small, don't know how many it would take to make a difference.

Steve