Old November 2nd 04, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ealing to Oxford - anyone advise me on the commute?

kedron wrote:
On 1-Nov-2004, Brimstone wrote in
:

He could use the time even more productively by living in Oxford and
not commuting. Plus he'd cut his travelling costs.

Well he could sleep at his desk and wouldn't need to travel at all.

You're assuming he works at a desk? I've not seen anything to support that.

The fact is he wants to live in Ealing, and frankly speaking, I can
think of worse places -- Oxford being one of them.

Which is the primary cause of all the unnecessary mileage on the roads.

I agree that most of Ealing is perfectly pleasant, I grew up there.
Similarly, I suspect that not all of Oxford and it's environs are bad
either. I'm simply baffled by this wish that so many people have to wste
time, money and effort commuting further than is absolutely necessary.

Old November 2nd 04, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message

I'm simply baffled by this wish that so many
people have to wste time, money and effort
commuting further than is absolutely necessary.

I think the point is generally to find somewhere to live where both partners
have an acceptable commute.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 2nd 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message

I'm simply baffled by this wish that so many
people have to wste time, money and effort
commuting further than is absolutely necessary.

I think the point is generally to find somewhere to live where both
partners have an acceptable commute.

Where two people are concerned you may have a point but the OP mentioned
only the singular. Nevertheless, there seems to be a considerable number of
people who appear to commute simply because it doesn't occure to them to do
anything different.

Old November 2nd 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message

Nevertheless, there seems to be a considerable number
of people who appear to commute simply because it
doesn't occure to them to do anything different.

That's unnecessarily patronising. When I worked in Leicester and lived a 40
minute work from the office, it sometimes felt like I was spending several
days on the trot in an industrial estate. I relished spending my lunchtime
in the town centre, just to get a good distance away from the office.
Although Ealing to Oxford does seem a little excessive...

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 7th 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Must admit I'd sooner live in Oxford than Ealing! Some better pubs for a start.

At my last job there were a few people who commuted into west London from
Oxford and environs, one woman coming in from Witney. She was glad to find an
alternative nearer home, because as she said, on a nice Summer evening she
could be sitting in her garden with a nice cool drink rather than sitting in
her car stuck in traffic on Hanger Lane. Maybe travelling other direction would
be easier.
Another person used to change trains at Ealing. And a bloke I know comes in by
the Oxfod bus and trains into London from Park Royal. Commuting out to Oxford
must be less usual. You could train from Ealing, or pick up the bus at
Hillingdon.

Old November 7th 04, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Tom is offline

Hey, thanks to all who replied. I wasn't expecting a debate on the logic behind
the commute - good stuff though! Commuting advice noted.

Anyway, I live in-between - High Wycombe. The query was because I'm considering
a weekend room let in London, and it occurred to me that somewhere like Ealing
would give me the extra option of a direct drive during the week if required.

However I have very quick links by rail from Wycombe, so there's other options.

Thanks again!

Tom