Old November 17th 04, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default East London Line extension news

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

Are those LU stock or National Rail stock?

Porterbrook Leasing Company, coming off lease from the beginning of next
year with a TOC south of the river.

Gives Alstom about five years to sort the 458s out then!

--
*** http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ ***
Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk)

Old November 17th 04, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Dave Arquati wrote in message ...
Jon Porter wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

Robin Mayes wrote:

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in
message ...

According to the story "New East London Line 'done by 2010'"

I saw the article in the Metro. Build a viaduct connecting Shorditch
with the old North London at Bishopsgate, reinstate the track up to
Dalston Junc, build 4 new stations, hardly a challange to be completed
in 7 years time and a mere snip at £900m. Mind you compared to the
Dome money bettre spent.
How long did it take the Great Central to build the London extention.
We seem to have lost the ability to do the simplest tasks in anything
less than extortionate lengths of time and expend billions of pounds.

Kevin
Old November 17th 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

om...

Jon Porter wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

Robin Mayes wrote:

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in
message ...

According to the story "New East London Line 'done by 2010'"

I saw the article in the Metro. Build a viaduct connecting Shorditch
with the old North London at Bishopsgate, reinstate the track up to
Dalston Junc, build 4 new stations, hardly a challange to be completed
in 7 years time and a mere snip at £900m. Mind you compared to the
Dome money bettre spent.
How long did it take the Great Central to build the London extention.
We seem to have lost the ability to do the simplest tasks in anything
less than extortionate lengths of time and expend billions of pounds.

Kevin

Yes, it is odd. The more accountants we have, the more things cost and the
greateer the cost overun.

Old November 17th 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message k...
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

Are those LU stock or National Rail stock?

Porterbrook Leasing Company, coming off lease from the beginning of next
year with a TOC south of the river.

According to Clive Feather's web page on the ELL, the existing
infrastructure is compatible with 'Networker' EMUs, so these would be
an obvious choice - see...

http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/eastlondon.html

....though I guess this depends on SET's 465/466 diagrams. Also, will
any such NR trains need kitting out with LU trip-cock equipment before
they can be used?

Presumably, due to the extensive modifications needed to traction
supply/signalling on the non-LU sections, there's no 'reciprocal
arrangement' with LU stock working some services (in the manner of
Queen's Park-Watford Jcn. in years gone by)?

David E. Belcher
Old November 17th 04, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alan \(in Brussels\)" wrote in message ...
After phase one, 12 trains an hour will run from Dalston Junction to Surrey
Quays, serving three routes to New Cross, Crystal Palace and West Croydon.
When phase two is done, it will increase to 16 trains an hour in each
direction through the central station.

Dalston junction eh? Thats bloody useful. God forbid they might have terminated
at finsbury park as was originally mooted so people on WAGN or the piccadilly
and victoria lines could have easily changed onto it. Still , par for the
course for the british half arsed approach I suppose.

B2003

Old November 17th 04, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Nov 2004, Boltar wrote:

"Alan \(in Brussels\)" wrote in message ...
After phase one, 12 trains an hour will run from Dalston Junction to Surrey
Quays, serving three routes to New Cross, Crystal Palace and West Croydon.
When phase two is done, it will increase to 16 trains an hour in each
direction through the central station.

Dalston junction eh? Thats bloody useful. God forbid they might have
terminated at finsbury park as was originally mooted so people on WAGN
or the piccadilly and victoria lines could have easily changed onto it.
Still , par for the course for the british half arsed approach I
suppose.

There was some reason they couldn't go to FP. Not a very good reason, i
seem to remember thinking; something that sounded like an excuse to cover
up the fact that some TOC at FP didn't like it. I might be thinking of the
story of the Northern City Line, though. Plus ca change ...

Has anyone looked into carrying on west from Dalston, along the NLL route?
Isn't the track quadruple from Dalston J to Barnsbury or Camden Road or
something? Even if the ELL can't get to Finsbury Park, Highbury &
Islington would be hugely useful.

tom

--
.... to build a space elevator, that's got to be hundreds of thousands of pounds ... -- Mike Froggatt

Old November 17th 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Roger H. Bennett" wrote in message ...
"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Porterbrook Leasing Company, coming off lease from the beginning of next
year with a TOC south of the river.

Not 458s, by any chance?

Funny, IIRC that was what RossRail was going to use. Has Anzir joined TfL ?

Andy E.
Old November 17th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On 17 Nov 2004, Boltar wrote:

[...]

The ELLX will be going to Canonbury, Highbury & Islington and Caledonian
Road & Barnsbury (where turnback sidings can be added) in Phase 2, which
the Mayor believes can be funded if, after 2009, the government
continues giving TfL the same amount each year that they are getting for
the five-year investment programme.

Phase 2 would also include Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction, replacing
South London Line services. It hasn't been said what alternative
arrangements would be made for travellers from Wandsworth Road to any
central London station. All other SLL stations seem to have alternative
services to the ones they would lose.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old November 18th 04, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Tim Christian" wrote in message ...
"Kevin" wrote in message
om...

I saw the article in the Metro. Build a viaduct connecting Shorditch
with the old North London at Bishopsgate, reinstate the track up to
Dalston Junc, build 4 new stations, hardly a challange to be completed
in 7 years time and a mere snip at £900m. Mind you compared to the
Dome money bettre spent.
How long did it take the Great Central to build the London extention.
We seem to have lost the ability to do the simplest tasks in anything
less than extortionate lengths of time and expend billions of pounds.

Kevin

Yes, it is odd. The more accountants we have, the more things cost and the
greateer the cost overun.

I was thinking, they have just had the 10th anniversary of the start
of Eurostar. Eurostar started the year after the shuttle so channel
tunnel trains started 1993. I think that the channel tunnel
construction started in 1986.
So in the same time that 2 running tunnels and a service tunnel 30
miles long, 2 terminals (one bigger than Heathrow Airport)were built
they are going to build one viaduct, 4 stations and lay some track.
Just think, if we had had this lot building the railways in the 1800's
we would still be waiting for the completion on the London and
Birmingham and the London to Bristol railways.

Kevin
Old November 22nd 04, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote in message ...

Phase 2 would also include Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction, replacing
South London Line services. It hasn't been said what alternative
arrangements would be made for travellers from Wandsworth Road to any
central London station. All other SLL stations seem to have alternative
services to the ones they would lose.

Lose what services?

Look at the map on the webpage given.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/n...hp?imid=119321

Or if your newsreader wraps lines, try

http://tinyurl.com/5cgdo

Wandsworth Road and Clapham High Street are shown as National Rail
interchange stations, which sorta implies that the South London Line
services will continue (I don't know of any other NR services which
use those stations)

What route will the trains take to get from the SLL to clapham Jn?