Old September 3rd 04, 07:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default East London Line Extension (Who's gonna control it?)

Hi Guys,

With the majority of the East London Line running on Network Rail
metals, would it not be prudent to hand over the control of the line
to Network Rail?

Christine

Life without sex just isn't life.
Make love not war!

Old September 3rd 04, 07:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Christine" wrote in message

With the majority of the East London Line running
on Network Rail metals, would it not be prudent to
hand over the control of the line to Network Rail?

I am pretty sure that will happen. It will become part of the Orbirail
franchise, along with the North London and West London lines, and probably
the Goblin as well.

Hang on, don't you work for Network Rail? Are you empire-building?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old September 3rd 04, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:45:48 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Christine" wrote in message
.. .

With the majority of the East London Line running
on Network Rail metals, would it not be prudent to
hand over the control of the line to Network Rail?

I am pretty sure that will happen. It will become part of the Orbirail
franchise, along with the North London and West London lines, and probably
the Goblin as well.

Actually I disagree with this. I think it will be a franchise sanctioned
by the DfT but controlled and awarded by TfL's Rail division. The
abolition of the SRA gets rid of a significant vested interest that was
always going to marginalise the TfL role. The ELLX going to TfL is part
of Ken's reward for winnng the mayoralty for the Labour Party.

I suspect the DLR form of franchise operation and also the schemes used
to build the network extensions will form the basis of future rail
schemes put forward by TfL Rail. If they can get those deals to work
then expect to see changes to the structure of all franchises serving
London as Ken is given more control of the rail network - the openings
are there for the taking given recent government announcements.

I think Network Rail will simply be told to co-operate to make it happen
as quickly as possible.
--
Paul C

Old September 3rd 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Christine wrote:
With the majority of the East London Line running on Network Rail
metals, would it not be prudent to hand over the control of the line
to Network Rail?

As far as I'm aware the ELL doesn't use a single foot of network rail
track, its all LUL owned. Do you think Network Rail and some profit-at-
all-costs TOC would do a better job of running the railway than LUL? I don't.

B2003
Old September 3rd 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Christine wrote:
With the majority of the East London Line running on Network Rail
metals, would it not be prudent to hand over the control of the line
to Network Rail?

As far as I'm aware the ELL doesn't use a single foot of network rail
track, its all LUL owned. Do you think Network Rail and some profit-at-
all-costs TOC would do a better job of running the railway than LUL? I

don't.

Blimey, is this a smidgin of praise for LU?

Old September 4th 04, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:32:04 +0000 (UTC), "Piccadilly Pilot"
wrote:

wrote in message
Christine wrote:
With the majority of the East London Line running on Network Rail
metals, would it not be prudent to hand over the control of the line
to Network Rail?

As far as I'm aware the ELL doesn't use a single foot of network rail
track, its all LUL owned. Do you think Network Rail and some profit-at-
all-costs TOC would do a better job of running the railway than LUL? I

don't.

Blimey, is this a smidgin of praise for LU?

Doubtful - I imagine in Boltar world that LU is rated as appallingly
awful but Network Rail and the TOCs are so awful as to be beyond
redemption.

In other words we're all crap.
--
Paul C

Old September 4th 04, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

wrote in message
Christine wrote:
With the majority of the East London Line running on Network Rail
metals, would it not be prudent to hand over the control of the
line to Network Rail?

As far as I'm aware the ELL doesn't use a single foot of network
rail track, its all LUL owned. Do you think Network Rail and some
profit-at- all-costs TOC would do a better job of running the
railway than LUL? I don't.

Blimey, is this a smidgin of praise for LU?

Doubtful - I imagine in Boltar world that LU is rated as appallingly
awful but Network Rail and the TOCs are so awful as to be beyond
redemption.

In other words we're all crap.

Sadly I suspect your right. I wonder what he does to justify his existence.

Old September 6th 04, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Piccadilly Pilot" wrote in message ...
Blimey, is this a smidgin of praise for LU?

Doubtful - I imagine in Boltar world that LU is rated as appallingly
awful but Network Rail and the TOCs are so awful as to be beyond
redemption.

Pretty much. LU might be a pain but at least they have some sort of cohesive
policy to running their network despite the governments best efforts to f*ck
that up with semi privitisation. The TOCs however don't give a monkeys about
anything beyond their bank balances. The only exception I would make would be
Midland Mainline who do seem to try. The rest of them from my experience simply
don't give a damn.

In other words we're all crap.

Sadly I suspect your right. I wonder what he does to justify his existence.

Funnily enough I don't need to. Plus I do a job where I have to meet
customers and if they ask me to explain something I couldn't get away with
just saying "dunno mate" and shrugging my shoulders like train staff seem to
get away with. NOt if I wanted to keep my job beyond 5.30 on that day that is.

B2003