Old November 25th 04, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube staff are given 52 days holiday

Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:
"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:49:27 +0000, Jason
wrote:

Roger Evans, the transport spokesman, said: "This deal is beyond
comprehension. It is an outrageous insult to every hard-working
Londoner. Yet again we're seeing the unions holding the capital to
ransom. They know the threat of strikes always pays off. The answer
is to ban strikes on the Underground.

Why is it an "insult"? It's not extra holidays - it's days off on
account of extra hours worked!

Well, I find it insulting as I don't get time off because of the
extra hours I work, and I would imagine the millions of people
working for the many companies in many industries that don't leech of
public money, and don't have a corrupt union propping them up might
feel similarly about the situation.

Do you regularly work a 37.5 hour week but only get paid for 35?

Underground staff do and the extra 2.5 hours per week are rolled up into
additional rest days. Bear in mind also that they work on any of the seven
days according to their roster.

Try establishing some facts before getting on your high horse and deciding
to feel "insulted" b ecause other people are "insulted" by the exhorbitant
amounts paid to some other people who produce absolutely nothing useful for
society.

Old November 25th 04, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message

Well, I find it insulting as I don't get time off because of the
extra hours I work, and I would imagine the millions of people
working for the many companies in many industries that don't leech of
public money, and don't have a corrupt union propping them up might
feel similarly about the situation.

Do you regularly work a 37.5 hour week but only get paid for 35?

I regularly work weeks of 40+ hours, and in my contract I specifically had
to sign an opt-out of the European Law on the maximum 48 hour week, and I
get paid a fixed salary based on a notional 37.5 hour week, with no overtime
or time off over and above that.

And compared to some people I know I have it pretty easy.

But very few companies functioning within the constraints of real world
economics could afford their staff the joyride that LU staff seem to benefit
from.

BTN

Old November 25th 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Oh dear...you have a problem. And you signed this piece of paper about
hours.
That was silly want it?
Join the tube if ou feel its such a good lurk....always looking for good
people to be CSAs. Or would that be a little too much work for you?

Malcolm

Old November 25th 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message

Well, I find it insulting as I don't get time off because of the
extra hours I work, and I would imagine the millions of people
working for the many companies in many industries that don't leech of
public money, and don't have a corrupt union propping them up might
feel similarly about the situation.

Do you regularly work a 37.5 hour week but only get paid for 35?

I regularly work weeks of 40+ hours, and in my contract I specifically had
to sign an opt-out of the European Law on the maximum 48 hour week, and I
get paid a fixed salary based on a notional 37.5 hour week, with no
overtime or time off over and above that.

And compared to some people I know I have it pretty easy.

But very few companies functioning within the constraints of real world
economics could afford their staff the joyride that LU staff seem to
benefit from.

So you'll be signing up with LU quite soon then?

Old November 25th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Malcolm & Nika" wrote in message
I forgot to mention.....

You think you got it tough.....We used to live in a shoe box.

Luxury!!!!

Old November 25th 04, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

"Brimstone" wrote in message

Well, I find it insulting as I don't get time off because of the
extra hours I work, and I would imagine the millions of people
working for the many companies in many industries that don't leech of
public money, and don't have a corrupt union propping them up might
feel similarly about the situation.

Do you regularly work a 37.5 hour week but only get paid for 35?

I regularly work weeks of 40+ hours, and in my contract I specifically had
to sign an opt-out of the European Law on the maximum 48 hour week, and I
get paid a fixed salary based on a notional 37.5 hour week, with no
overtime or time off over and above that.

Unless you work for one of a few specific occupations, that's not legal.
Why don't you wait until after you're no longer on probation and then inform
your employer in writing that you are opting back in?

In any event, you shouldn't resent other people getting a better deal than
you did.

Old November 25th 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message

[...]

You cannot be forced to sign an opt-out - that 'contract' is illegal.

Inform them that you are opting back in.

If they try to sack you, pass you over for promotion, or suffer any other
unmerited discrimination you can take them to the cleaners at a tribunal.

Of course, if you had a union to back your corner your employer wouldn't try
this on in the first place.

Old November 25th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:56:43 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

BTN

You cannot be forced to sign an opt-out - that 'contract' is illegal.

Oh really, they cant be 'forced' to promote one or give decent payrises
either, or be flexible w.r.t working practices either.

Inform them that you are opting back in.

If they try to sack you, pass you over for promotion, or suffer any other
unmerited discrimination you can take them to the cleaners at a tribunal.

That only works with wimmin & public sector wasters.

*No* tube driver is worth 35 grand for a 35 hour week period.

Let alone the BIKs which come with the job.

There again we are talking members of an organisation who threatened to
walk out when a well connected class warrior was fired after being found
drunk behind the wheel of a crashed LU van full of nicked copper.

Not surprisingly 'management' caved in as they always do.

There again, its to be expected in an organisation of time serving
incompetents which takes 12-18 months to bring staff back from paid
maternity leave, all because they allegedly don't have 'the resources' to
process the relevant paperwork.

Of course, if you had a union to back your corner your employer wouldn't try
this on in the first place.

When you beam back in from the 1970s tell me.

greg

--
There's fighting on the left and marching on the right
Don't look up in the sky, you're gonna die of fright
Old November 25th 04, 11:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Roger Evans, the transport spokesman, said: "This deal is beyond
comprehension. It is an outrageous insult to every hard-working
Londoner. Yet again we're seeing the unions holding the capital to
ransom. They know the threat of strikes always pays off. The answer is
to ban strikes on the Underground.

Why is it an "insult"? It's not extra holidays - it's days off on
account of extra hours worked!

Well, I find it insulting as I don't get time off because of the extra
hours I work, and I would imagine the millions of people working for
the many companies in many industries that don't leech of public money,
and don't have a corrupt union propping them up might feel similarly
about the situation.

BTN

As a tube driver, my contract is for a 35 hour week and I work an average
36 hour week. I get the extra hour a week they owe me as six banked rest
days. Anything else (such as late running or when a special service is in
operation means enforced overtime on some duties)is overtime at T1/3. If
you choose to work for somewhere that has a different type of contract
then that's your choice.

Roger