Old December 3rd 04, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Metropolitan Line Extension

The East London Line extension, the Docklands light railway, the
Thames Gateway bridge and the Metropolitan line extension are all set
to benefit.

Anybody know what Ken Livingstone is on about?

Kevin

Old December 3rd 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kevin" wrote in message
m...
The East London Line extension, the Docklands light railway, the
Thames Gateway bridge and the Metropolitan line extension are all set
to benefit.

Anybody know what Ken Livingstone is on about?

Watford Junction. He's on about Watford Junction.

I agree that 'extension' is a slightly fanciful term though.

'Redirection to a station slightly closer to London, already with fast
services to London, that was previously served by the Underground anyway' is
more accurate.

Realistically, it's hard to see the new service being useful to anyone
outside of the immediate Watford/Bushey/Rickmansworth/Chalfonts/Amersham
areas.

And given that they are outside of Greater London, and not Ken's
responsibility anyway, it's hard to see why he'd mention it at all.

BTN

Old December 3rd 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote on Fri, 3 Dec 2004 -

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...
The East London Line extension, the Docklands light railway, the
Thames Gateway bridge and the Metropolitan line extension are all set
to benefit.

Anybody know what Ken Livingstone is on about?

Watford Junction. He's on about Watford Junction.

I agree that 'extension' is a slightly fanciful term though.

'Redirection to a station slightly closer to London, already with fast
services to London, that was previously served by the Underground anyway' is
more accurate.

Realistically, it's hard to see the new service being useful to anyone
outside of the immediate Watford/Bushey/Rickmansworth/Chalfonts/Amersham
areas.

And given that they are outside of Greater London, and not Ken's
responsibility anyway, it's hard to see why he'd mention it at all.

I would have thought a Harrow to Watford service would be useful, --
town centre to town centre, the current options don't do this

A huge debate could be had about funding LUL. Much of it does not serve
south London, but parts of it in North West London are out of the GLA
area - this is all historical and as a result of the development of the
transport system not mirroring local government boundaries, but what can
be done now?

--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it
Old December 3rd 04, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Matthew P Jones wrote:

wrote on Fri, 3 Dec 2004 -

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...

The East London Line extension, the Docklands light railway, the
Thames Gateway bridge and the Metropolitan line extension are all set
to benefit.

Anybody know what Ken Livingstone is on about?

Watford Junction. He's on about Watford Junction.

What we call the Croxley Link project:

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/about...re/croxley.asp
http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/28
http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/future.html#croxleylink

They should blatantly call it 'CroxRail'.

I agree that 'extension' is a slightly fanciful term though.

'Redirection to a station slightly closer to London, already with fast
services to London, that was previously served by the Underground
anyway' is more accurate.

. What with the Croxley Link and the ELLX, we're well and truly in the
age of the postmodern tube.

Realistically, it's hard to see the new service being useful to anyone
outside of the immediate Watford/Bushey/Rickmansworth/Chalfonts/Amersham
areas.

AIUI, it's not supposed to be. I think the idea is to provide a nice local
rail service for Watfordians. Since it won't make things any worse for
people outside this area (indeed, the connection to Watford Junction
could be handy in the event of problems on the main line), it seems like a
good idea overall.

And given that they are outside of Greater London, and not Ken's
responsibility anyway, it's hard to see why he'd mention it at all.

I would have thought a Harrow to Watford service would be useful, --
town centre to town centre, the current options don't do this

Exactly.

A huge debate could be had about funding LUL. Much of it does not serve
south London, but parts of it in North West London are out of the GLA
area - this is all historical and as a result of the development of the
transport system not mirroring local government boundaries,

And instead mirroring demand! Or, in the case of the Met, mirroring the
opportunity to create demand, but it boils down to the same thing.

but what can be done now?

What needs to be done? Transport links that cross arbitrary administrative
boundaries? Heaven forbid!

Of course, mass relocation of south Londoners to Metroland is an option.

Anyway, if it's the money you're worried about, chill - quite a bit of the
dough will come from Herts county council.

tom

--
I'm angry, but not Milk and Cheese angry. -- Mike Froggatt