Old August 9th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Metropolitan Line Questions

I wonder if someone can answer a few questions

1 What work has been / is going on just north of Rickmansworth
station opposite the sidings? A large whole has been dug with supports
put in.

2 A lot of work is taking place on the embankment under the M25
between Rickmansworth and Chorley Wood. What is actually being done?
Trains to London seem to slow down to pass the work, but northbound
trains do not appear to slow. I assume this is to protect the workers
on the site. It looks like a major piece of work and I am amazed at
some of the heavy plant they have at the top of the embankment at times,
not sure I would want to be around when they manoeuvre the plant up the
slopes!

3 I have seen previous postings about a passing loop that used to
be at Chorley Wood. Does anyone have any memories of this? I have
recently seen a picture of this but am not sure exactly how it was used.
On my Amersham forum (not a plug, but if you want to find it look at my
sig) there is a thread about Cross Rail which has moved onto the Chorley
Wood loop. It is suggested that it was only for freight, but I think I
have read on this group that it may have been used for passenger trains

Thanks

Matthew

--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it

Old August 9th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Matthew P Jones
writes
A large whole has been dug with supports put in.

I think you mean 'hole'.

Tut tut, your grammar is terrible.....
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old August 10th 04, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew P Jones ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Chorley Wood.
Chorley Wood.
Chorley Wood

Does anybody know why the London Underground station signs have the name of
the town wrong? EVERYBODY else (inc OS, post office, road signs) all have
it as one word. The only place I've noticed it as two is on the station
signs. Even the LU maps have it as one.
Old August 10th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 1.4...
Chorley Wood

Does anybody know why the London Underground station signs have the name

of
the town wrong? EVERYBODY else (inc OS, post office, road signs) all have
it as one word. The only place I've noticed it as two is on the station
signs. Even the LU maps have it as one.

ITYF that it is historical. AIUI it used to be Chorley Wood many many moons
ago but it has morphed into Chorleywood over the years. The enamel station
signs are now forty years old, no doubt as they are replaced the newer form
of the name will be used (actually, now that I think about it, don't some of
the newer signs under the station canopies read CHORLEYWOOD?).

Old August 10th 04, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
. 1.4...
Chorley Wood

Does anybody know why the London Underground station signs have
the name of the town wrong? EVERYBODY else (inc OS, post office,
road signs) all have it as one word. The only place I've noticed
it as two is on the station signs. Even the LU maps have it as one.

ITYF that it is historical. AIUI it used to be Chorley Wood many
many moons ago but it has morphed into Chorleywood over the years.
The enamel station signs are now forty years old, no doubt as they
are replaced the newer form of the name will be used (actually, now
that I think about it, don't some of the newer signs under the
station canopies read CHORLEYWOOD?).

The name changed from Chorley Wood to Chorleywood in 1964, 40 years ago,
so the old signs are likely to be older than that. All the old signs
should be in (old) Johnston type. Any with Chorley Wood in New Johnston
would be in error.
--
Richard J.

Old August 10th 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith wrote in message ...
In article , Matthew P Jones
writes
A large whole has been dug with supports put in.

I think you mean 'hole'.

Tut tut, your grammar is terrible.....

The works underneath the M25 are for the M25 widening works as
announced by the government a few weeks ago. thats what all this work
is for.
BTW the met travels westbound underneath the m25 and NOT
northbound.....
Old August 10th 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

El Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:55:11 +0100, Andrew P Smith escribió:

In article , Matthew P Jones
writes
A large whole has been dug with supports put in.

I think you mean 'hole'.

Tut tut, your grammar is terrible.....

With all due respect, Andrew, your diagnosis is faulty. It's not Mathew's
grammar but his spelling that is playing up. Grammatically, the whole
sentence hangs together very nicely; he's even used a passive voice

Regards,

Searcher
Old August 10th 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, DeepSearcher wrote:

El Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:55:11 +0100, Andrew P Smith escribió:

In article , Matthew P Jones
writes
A large whole has been dug with supports put in.

I think you mean 'hole'.

Tut tut, your grammar is terrible.....

With all due respect, Andrew, your diagnosis is faulty. It's not
Mathew's grammar but his spelling that is playing up. Grammatically, the
whole sentence hangs together very nicely; he's even used a passive
voice

I thought that, in readability terms, the passive was frowned upon these
days? Sorry - that people frown upon it?

tom

--
an optical recording release. copyright digitally mastered. .,

Old August 10th 04, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , DeepSearcher
writes
El Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:55:11 +0100, Andrew P Smith escribió:

In article , Matthew P Jones
writes
A large whole has been dug with supports put in.

I think you mean 'hole'.

Tut tut, your grammar is terrible.....

With all due respect, Andrew, your diagnosis is faulty. It's not Mathew's
grammar but his spelling that is playing up. Grammatically, the whole
sentence hangs together very nicely; he's even used a passive voice

Regards,

Searcher

I take spelling to be a part of grammar.

Old August 10th 04, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Tom Anderson writes
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, DeepSearcher wrote:

El Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:55:11 +0100, Andrew P Smith escribió:

In article , Matthew P Jones
writes
A large whole has been dug with supports put in.

I think you mean 'hole'.

Tut tut, your grammar is terrible.....

With all due respect, Andrew, your diagnosis is faulty. It's not
Mathew's grammar but his spelling that is playing up. Grammatically, the
whole sentence hangs together very nicely; he's even used a passive
voice

I thought that, in readability terms, the passive was frowned upon these
days? Sorry - that people frown upon it?

tom

Hey Matthew, you never knew one post to usenet would create such a stir
did you?

PS Are you up for beer on Friday night??