Old December 7th 04, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Commuter Strike"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4075559.stm

Basically, the pressure group "Commuter Voice" wants travellers to
boycott TfL public transport on 20 December. They want tube fares to be
fixed for three years, being pegged to inflation after that. They also
want the following, according to their website at www.busandtube.co.uk:

On the Roads….
- No extension of Congestion Charge Zone – and a process to end the
charging already in place
- An independent report into the proliferation and use of Speed Cameras,
and operations of Parking attendants
- Support for the end of commission/bonus incentives for Traffic Wardens
- 30% reduction in parket permit charges by 2010
On the Buses…
- More Bus Lanes
- Public transport only streets
- A bus zone in central London where Bus Lanes are unbroken throughout
the zone
- Readily identified personal number for all drivers
On the tube…
- 3-year price freeze on Tube fares
- Inflation-linked rise in Tube fares from 2008
- End to Zone one charging when just travelling through the zone.
In the work place…
- Incentives to encourage Flexible working and ‘Working from home’
arrangements.

My current opinion is that they are being completely ridiculous. They
want massively improved transport, but don't want to pay for it. Of
particular interest, they want to scrap the congestion charge, but want
a huge improvement in bus services; they also want people to overcrowd
Tube services in Zone 1, but not to pay for using the most
intensively-used sections of the network.

Parking attendant concerns I can probably understand (although a
specific "30% reduction" in tickets seems rather arbitrary; would they
like someone to park in their residents' only bay, but have the traffic
warden say "sorry, I can't make them move, or I won't be able to achieve
my percentage reduction for this month"?

Bus lanes, unbroken bus lanes and PT-only streets are great, but I
presume they will take roadspace for these from the extra influx of cars
that return to the congestion charging zone once charging stops, causing
almighty gridlock? Besides, significant segregation is planned for the
four proposed tram and transit schemes; look how far that's got the West
London Tram.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old December 8th 04, 12:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4075559.stm

A few comments on quotes from their website:

"Its remarkable, but the unions have agreed to keep the tube running
throughout the night on Dec 31st. Its the first time that this has happened.
They have also agreed to open talks to discuss 'All weekend Underground'
with tubes running from early Friday morning through to Sunday night"
I thought the tube opened through the night every NYE? I've never ehard
this talk of a tube service non-stop during the weekend either.

"People spend a minimum time equvilant of one day a week travelling to and
from work"
When I lived closer to uni I spent 8mins a day commuting which doesn't add
up to 24 hours a week. Now I only spend 90 minutes per day (although the
wimbledon branch of the district line does have its problems)

"Yes, they are at it yet again! London's tube drivers are to go on strike.
This time it's Christmas Eve! "

Are they?

Chris

Old December 8th 04, 06:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:15:59 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4075559.stm

Basically, the pressure group "Commuter Voice" wants travellers to
boycott TfL public transport on 20 December. They want tube fares to be
fixed for three years, being pegged to inflation after that. They also
want the following, according to their website at www.busandtube.co.uk:

[snip]

My current opinion is that they are being completely ridiculous. They
want massively improved transport, but don't want to pay for it.

I almost expected to see "And free cakes for EVERYONE!" at the end of
it. It does seem that, in order go garner as much support as
possible, they've tried to think of at least one thing that will
appeal to everyone, even if the result is that a lot of their demands
are essentially contradictory, or at least incompatible.

To take one example:

- End to Zone one charging when just travelling through the zone.

I mean, why stop at just Zone 1?! What if someone wants to travel
from, say, Epping to West Ruislip - they're both in Zone 6, after all!
It ignores the fact that Zoning is in place for a reason, and that
Zone 1 carries a premium for a reason, as well.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old December 8th 04, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Its obvious from the comments on this group that all the people who use
public transport DO NOT support strike action. So they dont have a chance.
But it is pretty funny....... My Gandmother used to say some funny things
when she'd been on the Christmas sherry.

And just to grab a headline they say the drivers are on strike on 24th. NO
they arent.
"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...

Old December 8th 04, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4075559.stm

My current opinion is that they are being completely ridiculous. They want
massively improved transport, but don't want to pay for it.

I tend to agree with you. I should be interested in how they would fund
their policies first, otherwise there's very little point in "striking" for
these things.

Old December 8th 04, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"JB" wrote in message

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4075559.stm

My current opinion is that they are being
completely ridiculous. They want massively
improved transport, but don't want to pay for it.

I tend to agree with you. I should be interested in
how they would fund their policies first, otherwise
there's very little point in "striking" for these things.

I don't think you understand the concept of strikes!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 8th 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

"John Rowland" wrote in message

I tend to agree with you. I should be interested in
how they would fund their policies first, otherwise
there's very little point in "striking" for these things.

I don't think you understand the concept of strikes!

Oh shucks! Have I misunderstood again?

Old December 8th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:15:59 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4075559.stm

Basically, the pressure group "Commuter Voice" wants travellers to
boycott TfL public transport on 20 December. They want tube fares to be
fixed for three years, being pegged to inflation after that. They also
want the following, according to their website at www.busandtube.co.uk:

[snip list of demands]

My current opinion is that they are being completely ridiculous.

I would agree with that sentiment.

They
want massively improved transport, but don't want to pay for it. Of
particular interest, they want to scrap the congestion charge, but want
a huge improvement in bus services; they also want people to overcrowd
Tube services in Zone 1, but not to pay for using the most
intensively-used sections of the network.

Well yes but since when did most transport pressure groups have the
slightest idea how transport is run, funded or how much it costs?

Ever so slightly off topic but I once attended a liaison meeting between
our local London Cycling Campaign group and my local council. I could
have sworn I had been transported to the planet Zonk as the demands
being made by the cycle campaigners might as well have originated on
another planet for all the realism they possessed. This campaign smacks
of the same thinking (or lack thereof).
--
Paul C

Old December 8th 04, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

- No extension of Congestion Charge Zone – and a process to end the
charging already in place

Which would increase traffic in this central area, Even In Paris & New
York, talking to taxi drivers, they are in favour of it

- An independent report into the proliferation and use of Speed Cameras,
and operations of Parking attendants

What have Safety Cameras ever done wrong, there may have been a few
inaccuracies, which can be easily corrected. Parking Attendants keep our
streets clear

- Support for the end of commission/bonus incentives for Traffic Wardens

Are we talking about Traffic Wardens or Parking Attendants Here?

- 30% reduction in parket permit charges by 2010

Fair enough.

- More Bus Lanes

Agree

- Public transport only streets

Agree

- A bus zone in central London where Bus Lanes are unbroken throughout
the zone

Agree

- Readily identified personal number for all drivers

Is this to make it easier to report dodgy drivers?

- 3-year price freeze on Tube fares

Agree

- Inflation-linked rise in Tube fares from 2008

Agree

- End to Zone one charging when just travelling through the zone.

Prehaps a reduction in the number of Zones would be better, with the
removal of those awkward zones up to Amersham
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk
Old December 8th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Joe" wrote in message

- 3-year price freeze on Tube fares

Agree

Why? The tube is full in rush hour. Making it fuller *and* cutting revenue
coming into the system seems like a double bad idea.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped