Old December 8th 04, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Christmas and New Year Travel (long)

Barry Salter wrote:
[NB: Best viewed in a fixed width font, such as Courier New]

If you hadn't posted in Unicode, it would have been! (On my PC, anyway)

Just downloaded the TfL "Seasonal" travel information leaflet from
www.tfl.gov.uk, and the first thing I noticed was that it isn't in
New Johnston type, which came as a surprise.

If you mean the .pdf file at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/seasonal/x...vices-2003.pdf , that
certainly is in the New Johnston fonts, specifically New Johnston Book
for the body text and New Johnston Medium for the headings, in
accordance with TfL publishing standards. What makes you think it's not
New Johnston? What software are you reading it with? (I'm using Acrobat
Reader.)

Incidentally, the transport arrangements for each day over the holiday
period are available in HTML via
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/seasonal/index.shtml

--
Richard J.

Old December 8th 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:21:12 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

If you mean the .pdf file at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/seasonal/x...vices-2003.pdf , that
certainly is in the New Johnston fonts, specifically New Johnston
Book for the body text and New Johnston Medium for the headings, in
accordance with TfL publishing standards.

No, I mean this year's leaflet,

Doh! I Googled for it and didn't spot that it was last year's leaflet,
still on TfL's website!

which is at

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/seasonaltr...velleaflet.pdf

Yes, you're right, it's not displaying New Johnston. I've used
Identifont to identify it, and it looks like Adobe Sans, which is
apparently the font substituted by Acrobat software when it can't locate
the original font. Maybe the original leaflet was in New Johnston, but
the conversion to a PDF file was done in a way that lost that font and
caused the default to Adobe Sans.

The corresponding HTMLified version being at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/seasonaltr...astravel.shtml

Those are web pages, which never use New Johnston except in graphics.

--
Richard J.

Old December 8th 04, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard
J. writes

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/seasonaltr...velleaflet.pdf

Yes, you're right, it's not displaying New Johnston. I've used
Identifont to identify it, and it looks like Adobe Sans, which is
apparently the font substituted by Acrobat software when it can't locate
the original font. Maybe the original leaflet was in New Johnston, but
the conversion to a PDF file was done in a way that lost that font and
caused the default to Adobe Sans.

Whoever made up the PDF used NJTFL but forgot to embed the font.
Therefore the PDF will only use NJTFL if you have that font on your
local system - otherwise Acrobat will substitute Adobe Sans.

--
Paul Terry
Old December 8th 04, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

If you mean the .pdf file at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/seasonal/x...vices-2003.pdf , that
certainly is in the New Johnston fonts, specifically New Johnston Book
for the body text and New Johnston Medium for the headings, in
accordance with TfL publishing standards.

No, I mean this year's leaflet, which is at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/seasonaltr...velleaflet.pdf

The corresponding HTMLified version being at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/seasonaltr...astravel.shtml

Neither of which are in New Johnston...

HTH,

Barry

Sorry, Barry, but if you haven't got the relevant font installed on your
computer then it will never display text in that font unless it is purely an
image, as with Adobe Acrobat documents.
Cheerz,
Baz

Old December 9th 04, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

If you mean the .pdf file at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/seasonal/x...vices-2003.pdf , that
certainly is in the New Johnston fonts, specifically New Johnston Book
for the body text and New Johnston Medium for the headings, in
accordance with TfL publishing standards.

No, I mean this year's leaflet, which is at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/seasonaltr...velleaflet.pdf

The corresponding HTMLified version being at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/seasonaltr...astravel.shtml

Neither of which are in New Johnston...

HTH,

Barry

Sorry, Barry, but if you haven't got the relevant font installed on your
computer then it will never display text in that font unless it is purely an
image, as with Adobe Acrobat documents.
Cheerz,
Baz

Not quite... you can embed fonts into PDFs, but someone has forgotten to
in this case.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7