Old December 18th 04, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Default Oyster pre Pay Via Marylebone

Passengers should be waiting on the concourse side of the barriers,
from where they will be able to see what platform their train is going
from, when its ready, so no need to visit the announcers office, and
therefore then cause major congestion on the platform side of the
barriers.

Well If Chiltern Told customers what platform their train is due to
depart from an adequate time before departure then maybe people wouldn't
do it.
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk

Old December 18th 04, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe wrote:

Well, this means that more people will be visiting the station
announcers office to see what platform it is. Well done Chiltern -
you ****ed up - yet again.

"Yet again"?

Perhaps you should do as I did and get ahold of a Passenger Feedback
form, and on it, indicate that you think the indicators should be
placed in a friendlier location.

I actually spoke to the Duty Station Manager one evening and he told me
that the reason why there are only four indicators is because of the
limitations of the IECC. This means that unless Chiltern gets enough
feedback from pax to make the dosh required to upgrade the IECC
worthwhile, the best that pax can hope for is their repositioning. But
they won't do it unless the passengers tell them about it.
What precisely do you dislike about Chiltern anyway?

Old December 18th 04, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

TheOneKEA wrote:
Perhaps you should do as I did and get ahold of a Passenger Feedback
form, and on it, indicate that you think the indicators should be
placed in a friendlier location.

Im not complaining about the location of the screens, Im unhappy about
how they leave it to the last minute. They keep promising to improve it,
but never do.
Old December 18th 04, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe wrote:

Im not complaining about the location of the screens, Im
unhappy about how they leave it to the last minute. They keep
promising to improve it, but never do.

Hopefully after June 2005 they will be free to fulfill that promise.

Old December 19th 04, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Matt Wheeler ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

If you find you are going to wait "too long" at Marylebone on the
return leg, just go the platform side of the barriers, and wait for
the train to be called. I don't like this practise that so many people
seem to employ, as it blocks up the area between the gates and the
actual platforms for people wanting to get to or off trains, but
no-one seems to do anything to stop it...

Chiltern Railways have now...

They've sellotaped little cardboard shields next to the platform indicators
to stop you seeing them.

I don't see how it blocked the barrier, as the only place you could see
them was tucked into that dead-end corner by WHS, anyway - and it's got to
be better than the usual "Oh, look - 1 minute to go, and they've just
announced the platform" scrum at the barriers.

I'm *convinced* that the staff of Chiltern are bored because the service
tends to work, so sit at the windows up above the archway/florist/loos
watching and having a laugh at the customers belting for the train that's
half the length it should be, is parked half way to Harrow...

I wouldn't be surprised to find they're betting on who gets there first,
too. Going through early just spoils their fun.

Old December 19th 04, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew P Jones ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Has anyone had experience of using an Oyster pre pay via Marylebone? I
want to travel into Marylebone on Chiltern and then continue my journey
on the Bakerloo to Queens Park. The ticket office at Amersham said it
should count the Amersham to Queens Park as one journey

At least they've reopened Marylebone tube in the AM rush-hour. I don't
think going out of Marylebone NR and into Baker St LU counted as one.
Old December 19th 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Matt Wheeler wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 18 Dec 2004:

Why ?
Passengers should be waiting on the concourse side of the barriers,
from where they will be able to see what platform their train is going
from, when its ready, so no need to visit the announcers office, and
therefore then cause major congestion on the platform side of the
barriers.

I think you'll find that the whole point of this discussion was that
passengers whose 15-minute "window" for not being charged two fares on
their Oyster-cards is about to expire *do* go through the barriers -
well, wouldn't you?

Anyway, if they've had the sense to block the view of the indicator
board from the platforms, maybe they'll also ensure passengers can't
access the announcers office either...

Shouldn't wonder..... but who gets the revenue if passengers are forced
to pay twice? Chiltern trains or LUL?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 19th 04, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Matt Wheeler wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 18 Dec 2004:

Why ?
Passengers should be waiting on the concourse side of the barriers,
from where they will be able to see what platform their train is
going
from, when its ready, so no need to visit the announcers office, and
therefore then cause major congestion on the platform side of the
barriers.

I think you'll find that the whole point of this discussion was that
passengers whose 15-minute "window" for not being charged two fares
on
their Oyster-cards is about to expire *do* go through the barriers -
well, wouldn't you?

Yeah, I do know, which is why I suggested the original poster, for his
return journey, go "wrong side" of the barriers if he thinks he will
have to wait too long. Even though it is not a practise I agree with.
I also find it hard to believe that most of the passengers waiting on
the wrong side of the barriers all carry oyster cards, since, afaik,
they aren't valid to stations via High Wycombe, or Great Missended -
Aylesbury.

Anyway, if they've had the sense to block the view of the indicator
board from the platforms, maybe they'll also ensure passengers can't
access the announcers office either...

Shouldn't wonder..... but who gets the revenue if passengers are
forced
to pay twice? Chiltern trains or LUL?

I would assume its shared on the same basis as any other fares between
London and Amersham.

Old December 19th 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Matthew P Jones
writes
I hate it when people do this as well - if only they could make more
room at Marylebone. Pity they made the station smaller - I wonder how
they will handle the crowds when the new platforms open, let alone with
the increased services to Birmingham and Stratford they have just started

The minor chaos of too short an interval between the announcing of
platforms and of departure at Marylebone is really the only in problem
with the otherwise exemplary Chiltern service.

With its direct service from Birmingham suburban stations to London It
is so well tuned to my needs sometimes that I wonder if the service was
created just for me! :-)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG

Birmingham, UK