Old December 18th 04, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster pre Pay Via Marylebone

Has anyone had experience of using an Oyster pre pay via Marylebone? I
want to travel into Marylebone on Chiltern and then continue my journey
on the Bakerloo to Queens Park. The ticket office at Amersham said it
should count the Amersham to Queens Park as one journey, but I should
check the card to make sure it does not treat it as two and if it does,
contact the Oyster help line. If anyone has any previous experience of
this journey I would be grateful for your thoughts
--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it

Old December 18th 04, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matthew P Jones" wrote in message
Has anyone had experience of using an Oyster pre pay via Marylebone? I
want to travel into Marylebone on Chiltern and then continue my journey on
the Bakerloo to Queens Park. The ticket office at Amersham said it should
count the Amersham to Queens Park as one journey, but I should check the
card to make sure it does not treat it as two and if it does, contact the
Oyster help line. If anyone has any previous experience of this journey I
would be grateful for your thoughts
--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like
it
Don't reply to it will not be read
You can reply to knap AT Nildram dot co dot uk

I regularly use pre-pay via Marylebone, and only get charged for a single
journey.

This is different from some/most other stations. Beware if you want to use
toilets which are 'outside' the ticket barriers !

I guess you'll be charged a single trip from zone D (Amersham) to zone 2
(Queens Park).

Old December 18th 04, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kevin Bean wrote:
[...]

Yup, it should work fine; I've done Amersham to Gloucester Road via
Marylebone before, and was charged correctly. You have a certain amount
of time to "change" at Marylebone (i.e. to spend between the two sets of
barriers). I think it's about 20 minutes. I used that to my advantage
when changing between the Jubilee and the DLR at Canary Wharf once, to
find a toilet during my interchange time!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old December 18th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kevin Bean wrote:

I regularly use pre-pay via Marylebone, and only get charged for
a single journey.

This is different from some/most other stations. Beware if you
want to use toilets which are 'outside' the ticket barriers !

I guess you'll be charged a single trip from zone D (Amersham)
to zone 2 (Queens Park).

Marylebone NR to Marylebone LU is an official interchange, and thus the
15 minute Oyster timer applies. You will not be additionally charged if
you go through the barriers from the Chiltern platforms to the LU
platforms.

Old December 18th 04, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sat, 18 Dec 2004 -
Kevin Bean wrote:

I regularly use pre-pay via Marylebone, and only get charged for
a single journey.

This is different from some/most other stations. Beware if you
want to use toilets which are 'outside' the ticket barriers !

I guess you'll be charged a single trip from zone D (Amersham)
to zone 2 (Queens Park).

Marylebone NR to Marylebone LU is an official interchange, and thus the
15 minute Oyster timer applies. You will not be additionally charged if
you go through the barriers from the Chiltern platforms to the LU
platforms.

Thanks everyone, that is good news. I will have to be careful to time
my journey home so that I don't have to wait too long at Marylebone for
a Chiltern service

Old December 18th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matthew P Jones" wrote in message
on Sat, 18 Dec 2004 -
Kevin Bean wrote:

I regularly use pre-pay via Marylebone, and only get charged for
a single journey.

This is different from some/most other stations. Beware if you
want to use toilets which are 'outside' the ticket barriers !

I guess you'll be charged a single trip from zone D (Amersham)
to zone 2 (Queens Park).

Marylebone NR to Marylebone LU is an official interchange, and thus
the
15 minute Oyster timer applies. You will not be additionally charged
if
you go through the barriers from the Chiltern platforms to the LU
platforms.

Thanks everyone, that is good news. I will have to be careful to
time my journey home so that I don't have to wait too long at
Marylebone for a Chiltern service

I wouldn't normally recommend this, but, since everyone else seems to
do it anyway....
If you find you are going to wait "too long" at Marylebone on the
return leg, just go the platform side of the barriers, and wait for
the train to be called. I don't like this practise that so many people
seem to employ, as it blocks up the area between the gates and the
actual platforms for people wanting to get to or off trains, but
no-one seems to do anything to stop it...

Old December 18th 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote on Sat, 18 Dec 2004 -
I wouldn't normally recommend this, but, since everyone else seems to
do it anyway....
If you find you are going to wait "too long" at Marylebone on the
return leg, just go the platform side of the barriers, and wait for
the train to be called. I don't like this practise that so many people
seem to employ, as it blocks up the area between the gates and the
actual platforms for people wanting to get to or off trains, but
no-one seems to do anything to stop it...

I hate it when people do this as well - if only they could make more
room at Marylebone. Pity they made the station smaller - I wonder how
they will handle the crowds when the new platforms open, let alone with
the increased services to Birmingham and Stratford they have just
started
Old December 18th 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matthew P Jones" wrote in message

I hate it when people do this as well - if only they could make more
room at Marylebone. Pity they made the station smaller - I wonder how
they will handle the crowds when the new platforms open, let alone with
the increased services to Birmingham and Stratford they have just
started

I noted at Marylebone the other night that someone has been up a ladder and
sellotaped some cardboard to the indicator panel, on the barrier side of
each of the platform number displays, to prevent passengers who have passed
through the barriers from being able to read the display!

Old December 18th 04, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Jack Taylor wrote:
I noted at Marylebone the other night that someone has been up a ladder and
sellotaped some cardboard to the indicator panel, on the barrier side of
each of the platform number displays, to prevent passengers who have passed
through the barriers from being able to read the display!

Well, this means that more people will be visiting the station
announcers office to see what platform it is. Well done Chiltern - you
****ed up - yet again.
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk
Old December 18th 04, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Joe" wrote in message
Jack Taylor wrote:
I noted at Marylebone the other night that someone has been up a
ladder and
sellotaped some cardboard to the indicator panel, on the barrier
side of
each of the platform number displays, to prevent passengers who
have passed
through the barriers from being able to read the display!

Well, this means that more people will be visiting the station
announcers office to see what platform it is. Well done Chiltern -
you ****ed up - yet again.

Why ?
Passengers should be waiting on the concourse side of the barriers,
from where they will be able to see what platform their train is going
from, when its ready, so no need to visit the announcers office, and
therefore then cause major congestion on the platform side of the
barriers.
Anyway, if they've had the sense to block the view of the indicator
board from the platforms, maybe they'll also ensure passengers can't
access the announcers office either...