Old December 20th 04, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Default Bus Etching Problem

I normally travel on buses around the central area, but on my way
shopping yesterday, around Wembely, almost every window on the top deck
of the bus seemed to be etched on. Is this just a problem on the (out of
town) routes, or do buses in the central area also suffer this problem,
but are just cleaned up more often. BTW, I thought buses have CCTv,
linked to a VDU above the driver's head, don't drivers bother to report
these things anymore?
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk

Old December 20th 04, 11:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Joe" wrote in message
I normally travel on buses around the central area, but on my way
shopping yesterday, around Wembely, almost every window on the top deck
of the bus seemed to be etched on. Is this just a problem on the (out of
town) routes, or do buses in the central area also suffer this problem,
but are just cleaned up more often. BTW, I thought buses have CCTv,
linked to a VDU above the driver's head, don't drivers bother to report
these things anymore?
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see

http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk

The trains, buses, and some tube trains I've travelled on have the etching
problem.. the vandals have moved on from graffiti to 'stratchfiti'

Fossil

Old December 21st 04, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe wrote:
I normally travel on buses around the central area, but on my way
shopping yesterday, around Wembely, almost every window on the top deck
of the bus seemed to be etched on. Is this just a problem on the (out of
town) routes, or do buses in the central area also suffer this problem,
but are just cleaned up more often. BTW, I thought buses have CCTv,
linked to a VDU above the driver's head, don't drivers bother to report
these things anymore?

We need someone strong enough to address the real problem. That's the
only way it will be stopped.
Old December 21st 04, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul typed

We need someone strong enough to address the real problem. That's the
only way it will be stopped.

What do you see as the 'real problem'? Some people will do almost
anything if nobody is there to stop them.

I think the only thing that would stop graffitti / etching /seat
slashing is the presence of enough staff to prevent such actions. This
is expensive.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old December 21st 04, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
Paul typed

We need someone strong enough to address the real problem. That's the
only way it will be stopped.

What do you see as the 'real problem'? Some people will do almost
anything if nobody is there to stop them.

I think the only thing that would stop graffitti / etching /seat
slashing is the presence of enough staff to prevent such actions. This
is expensive.

Indeed - and when did you hear either Bob Kiley or Ken Livingstone say
something about this? Truth seems to be that those who could do something
about it don't seem to care (seemingly more concerned at slagging off 4x4
drivers - not that I have any particular like of 4x4 drivers, but vandals
are by far a bigger enemy).

The levels of vandalism on public transport in the general London area and
surrounds is quite simply appalling AND it's perhaps even more appalling
that the Mayor and other senior figures aren't doing more to combat it. We
should never have let it get this bad, but now it requires an enormous
amount of energy and money to recover the situation. I remember when the
Networker trains in NW Kent began to get their windows etched - what did the
train companies do - put extra staff on trains and stations to stamp out the
problem? No, they did absolutely nothing and the problem mushroomed out of
control to what we see today.

I am quite sure privatised transport operators would care a great deal more
if their subsidy was signficantly adversely affected by levels of vandalism
present on their vehicles. Maybe this is the only realistic way we will get
something done about it.

Nick

Old December 22nd 04, 01:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:33:36 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

I think the only thing that would stop graffitti / etching /seat
slashing is the presence of enough staff to prevent such actions. This
is expensive.

Or a culture change. It has always struck me how little vandalism of
this type there is outside London compared with inside it. Scratched
windows are rare on MK Metro buses, and vandalism in general (apart
from graffiti on the back row seats) seems to be rare in the North
West.

Oddly, I've found Germany to be the other way around, with the north
being very prone to various vandalism, yet it being almost completely
absent in Bavaria.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old December 22nd 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 21 Dec 2004:

I think the only thing that would stop graffitti / etching /seat
slashing is the presence of enough staff to prevent such actions. This
is expensive.

I was on a bus this morning that had adopted a solution I sincerely hope
doesn't become widespread - it had some kind of net over the windows,
from the outside they looked red, but from inside it was mesh, and you
simply couldn't see out very well. After five minutes I felt so sick I
had to go and sit downstairs - at that stage, luckily, I was the only
person on the bus (137), so could find a seat where I could see out of
the front window. Please, please, don't let them do that on more
buses......
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 22nd 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

I think the only thing that would stop graffitti / etching /seat
slashing is the presence of enough staff to prevent such actions. This
is expensive.

So is replacing windows. The economics are not as clear-cut as the
operators might like to believe.

If the rate of window scratching were as much as one window per bus
per day, preventing it would probably pay for an extra employee shift
per bus per day.

Colin McKenzie

Old December 22nd 04, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 21 Dec 2004:

I think the only thing that would stop graffitti / etching /seat
slashing is the presence of enough staff to prevent such actions. This
is expensive.

I was on a bus this morning that had adopted a solution I sincerely hope
doesn't become widespread - it had some kind of net over the windows,
from the outside they looked red, but from inside it was mesh, and you
simply couldn't see out very well. After five minutes I felt so sick I
had to go and sit downstairs - at that stage, luckily, I was the only
person on the bus (137), so could find a seat where I could see out of
the front window. Please, please, don't let them do that on more
buses......

Sounds reminiscent of wartime.

I trust you'll pardon my correction.
That stuff is there for your protection.

as the Fougasse cartoon poster had it. Are they providing it as an
anti-blast measure on the quiet?
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old December 22nd 04, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Terry Harper wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 22 Dec 2004:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

I was on a bus this morning that had adopted a solution I sincerely hope
doesn't become widespread - it had some kind of net over the windows,
from the outside they looked red, but from inside it was mesh, and you
simply couldn't see out very well. After five minutes I felt so sick I
had to go and sit downstairs - at that stage, luckily, I was the only
person on the bus (137), so could find a seat where I could see out of
the front window. Please, please, don't let them do that on more
buses......

Sounds reminiscent of wartime.

I trust you'll pardon my correction.
That stuff is there for your protection.

as the Fougasse cartoon poster had it. Are they providing it as an
anti-blast measure on the quiet?

I did rather wonder.....