Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 9th 05, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Epping-Ongar services closer to fruitition

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...
umpston wrote:

The bit running through Epping Forest can be beautiful, especially in
the snow (not that we've had much lately!). And the
http://www.eorailway.co.uk/ website says they're planning to build a
new shed for servicing steam locos, so you may get your wish Boltar.

Indeed. The volunteer I spoke to stated that the EORL has already laid
down 10K GBP towards the purchase of a shed structure. However, unless
the DMU was to be push/pull worked by the loco, you're going to need
steam-compatible LHCS as well; this means that more money and volunteer
work is needed to build sidings to store said coaches. Thus, even if a
loco is had, it may not mean that steam workings can resume.

Either way, it will certainly increase the passenger numbers, which are
already increasing :-)

However, still no news of Essex County Council's progress on buying
the line or from the Peoples' Front of Judea ..... sorry, I mean the
OTHER railway preservation society
(see http://www.ongar-railway.org.uk)
that wants to run the line. Now that the landowners appear to be
willing to sell to the Council isn't it time these two preservation
groups made peace and joined forces? Or has too much water (and too
few trains) gone under the M11 bridge?

I get the impression that everything is a big muddle.

I agree - but if both of these groups could find a way to settle their
differences (which will surely be lessened once the land ownership is
resolved) I reckon they'd find both volunteers and funding easier to come
by. I'm sure at the moment many people are reluctant to get involved
because of this uncertainty. And a united approach to Essex County Council
might ease the process of obtaining their lease to run the line.