Old February 13th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Barking-Greenford?

What about this for an idea- combine the Greenford branch and Barking
to Gospel Oak into a single service via Ealing Broadway and Willesden
Junction. This would provide an interchange between the North London
Line and the west via Ealing Broadway. If paths in the Willesden
Junction area are a problem then some of the Stratford trains could
run to Willesden Junction low level via Queens Park.

--
Paul

Old February 14th 05, 01:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:03:02 +0000, PaulBowery wrote:

What about this for an idea- combine the Greenford branch and Barking
to Gospel Oak into a single service via Ealing Broadway and Willesden
Junction. This would provide an interchange between the North London
Line and the west via Ealing Broadway. If paths in the Willesden
Junction area are a problem then some of the Stratford trains could
run to Willesden Junction low level via Queens Park.

And not just Greenford. Depending on service frequencies, other
potential Western termini might include any of the other Thames
branches.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9781404.html
(The (old) train in the Drain - S57S at Bank in 1995)
Old February 14th 05, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"PaulBowery" wrote in message

What about this for an idea- combine the Greenford
branch and Barking to Gospel Oak into a single service
via Ealing Broadway and Willesden Junction. This would
provide an interchange between the North London Line
and the west via Ealing Broadway. If paths in the Willesden
Junction area are a problem then some of the Stratford trains
could run to Willesden Junction low level via Queens Park.

This would remove the last few passengers from the Greenford branch.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 14th 05, 10:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
John Rowland typed:

"PaulBowery" wrote in message

What about this for an idea- combine the Greenford
branch and Barking to Gospel Oak into a single service
via Ealing Broadway and Willesden Junction. This would
provide an interchange between the North London Line
and the west via Ealing Broadway. If paths in the Willesden
Junction area are a problem then some of the Stratford trains
could run to Willesden Junction low level via Queens Park.

This would remove the last few passengers from the Greenford branch.

I think you need to explain why you think that extending the service from
Greenford beyond Ealing Broadway will result in passengers not using the
Greenford Branch.

Bob

Old February 14th 05, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
John Rowland wrote:
"PaulBowery" wrote in message

What about this for an idea- combine the Greenford
branch and Barking to Gospel Oak into a single service
via Ealing Broadway and Willesden Junction. This would
provide an interchange between the North London Line
and the west via Ealing Broadway. If paths in the Willesden
Junction area are a problem then some of the Stratford trains
could run to Willesden Junction low level via Queens Park.

This would remove the last few passengers from the Greenford branch.

Why would this be ? Sounds like a very good idea to me. It would provide
a much needed link between the GWML and the North london line. Of course
the service should really be extended north of Greenford to South or West
Rusilip to provide a connection with the Chiltern Line as well, but that
may require some significant new works, so I guess it is rather unlikely.

David

Old February 14th 05, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Barry Salter wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:31:02 +0000 (GMT), gwr4090
wrote:

Why would this be ? Sounds like a very good idea to me. It would
provide a much needed link between the GWML and the North london line.
Of course the service should really be extended north of Greenford to
South or West Rusilip to provide a connection with the Chiltern Line as
well, but that may require some significant new works, so I guess it is
rather unlikely.

Surely the only works that would be absolutely needed are the
reinstatement of the former GWR platforms (and associated station
building) at Greenford, given that there's a link from the branch to the
"joint line" both towards West Ruislip and towards Old Oak? [1]

I was thinking of a new platform or track slewing at Greenford (main
line). I think the remaining single line here is the former up fast line
so was not adjacent to a platform. In addition there is no access to the
down platform at South Ruislip from the Greenford direction. Also I am not
sure that the turn back facilities at West Ruislip would be adequate
without further works to avoid any interference with Chiltern services.

The Greenford area is due to be resignalled soon, with closure of Greenford East box, so I guess this is the appropriate time for any track alterations.

David

Old February 14th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

gwr4090 wrote:

The Greenford area is due to be resignalled soon, with closure of
Greenford East box, so I guess this is the appropriate time for
any track alterations.

David

_Really_?

Greenford East is the closest mainline* mechanical signalling
installation to Charing Cross; once it's gone, there won't be any
mainline mechanical signalling anywhere near London.

Would the signalling in the area be controlled locally, or would it
be connected to Slough New or Marylebone?

* - i.e. not a preserved line or a museum

Old February 14th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Why would this be ? Sounds like a very good idea to me. It would provide
a much needed link between the GWML and the North london line. Of course
the service should really be extended north of Greenford to South or West
Rusilip to provide a connection with the Chiltern Line as well, but that
may require some significant new works, so I guess it is rather unlikely.

Surely the only works that would be absolutely needed are the
reinstatement of the former GWR platforms (and associated station
building) at Greenford, given that there's a link from the branch to the
"joint line" both towards West Ruislip and towards Old Oak? [1]

Cya,

Barry

[1] Ignoring, for a moment, the capacity issues on the North London and
Tottenham & Hampstead.

I think the GWML would also be a problem, given that Crossrail would
require the Greenford service to be cut back to West Ealing.

John may have been referring to the fact that the Greenford service runs
to Paddington, so diverting it to Willesden Junction and onwards
wouldn't necessarily be a popular move with the few people actually
using the Greenford branch.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 14th 05, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
Greenford East is the closest mainline* mechanical signalling
installation to Charing Cross; once it's gone, there won't be any
mainline mechanical signalling anywhere near London.

Really? I remember being surprised to see semaphore signalling on the
Willesden-Cricklewood line within the past six years or so -- has that
gone now? (I know HEx were planning to use that route for St. Pancras
services, but didn't think any work actually got done on the line...)

Old February 14th 05, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Alistair Bell wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote:
Greenford East is the closest mainline* mechanical signalling
installation to Charing Cross; once it's gone, there won't be any
mainline mechanical signalling anywhere near London.

Really? I remember being surprised to see semaphore signalling on
the Willesden-Cricklewood line within the past six years or so --
has that gone now? (I know HEx were planning to use that route for
St. Pancras services, but didn't think any work actually got done
on the line...)

There are still semaphore signals at Kew East Junction on the freight
link from the North London Line to the Hounslow Loop, which is about 7
miles from Charing Cross as the crow flies.
--
Richard J.