Old February 27th 05, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Peak bus fares sneak in unannounced

....and for a longer period of the day than originally planned. I'm not
too pleased about this! The only publicity I've ever seen regarding this
was a single poster a month ago saying that the current prepay bus fare
was a "limited time offer" - admittedly until today, but they never said
what would come afterwards...

Oyster prepay prices will be £1.00 from 0630-1900 weekdays, £0.80 at all
other times. Originally I think it was planned to make the "peak" period
0630-0930 only on buses.

Interestingly, the £1.00 fare doesn't apply on Routemasters - it will
only be the standard £0.80.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...le/bus-2.shtml

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old February 27th 05, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
...and for a longer period of the day than originally planned. I'm not too
pleased about this! The only publicity I've ever seen regarding this was a
single poster a month ago saying that the current prepay bus fare was a
"limited time offer" - admittedly until today, but they never said what
would come afterwards...

Oyster prepay prices will be £1.00 from 0630-1900 weekdays, £0.80 at all
other times. Originally I think it was planned to make the "peak" period
0630-0930 only on buses.

Interestingly, the £1.00 fare doesn't apply on Routemasters - it will only
be the standard £0.80.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...le/bus-2.shtml

The tfl website is just wrong. It should read 6.30 am to 9.30 am Mondays to
Fridays for the peak pre-pay fare. I rang 7222 1234 and asked.

Guy

Old February 27th 05, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Guy wrote in message ...

[...]

Aw crap. As if it wasn't enough that they increased the bus saver by 43% and
forcing me to buy an oyster prepay, now I'm facing a 25% rise on that as
well. :-(

When will it ever end ?

Old February 27th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:14:41 -0000, "?uzzled" wrote:

Aw crap. As if it wasn't enough that they increased the bus saver by 43% and
forcing me to buy an oyster prepay, now I'm facing a 25% rise on that as
well. :-(

When will it ever end ?

When Red Ken stops spending money he hasn't got?

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old February 27th 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:14:41 -0000, "?uzzled" wrote:

Aw crap. As if it wasn't enough that they increased the bus saver by 43% and
forcing me to buy an oyster prepay, now I'm facing a 25% rise on that as
well. :-(

When will it ever end ?

When Red Ken stops spending money he hasn't got?

You don't get better transport without spending money, and if he already
had the money, we'd already have better transport.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old February 27th 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
...and for a longer period of the day than originally planned. I'm

not
too pleased about this! The only publicity I've ever seen regarding

this
was a single poster a month ago saying that the current prepay bus

fare
was a "limited time offer" - admittedly until today, but they never

said
what would come afterwards...

Oyster prepay prices will be £1.00 from 0630-1900 weekdays, £0.80

at all
other times. Originally I think it was planned to make the "peak"

period
0630-0930 only on buses.

The revised fares booklet says 0930, so it may be an error on the TfL
website.

Old February 27th 05, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:14:41 -0000, "?uzzled" wrote:

Aw crap. As if it wasn't enough that they increased the bus saver by 43%

and
forcing me to buy an oyster prepay, now I'm facing a 25% rise on that as
well. :-(

When will it ever end ?

When Red Ken stops spending money he hasn't got?

You don't get better transport without spending money, and if he already
had the money, we'd already have better transport.

We already have some of the most expensive public transport in Europe
already and yet it still pales in comparison to some other European
countries.

Old February 27th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:14:41 -0000, "?uzzled" wrote:

Aw crap. As if it wasn't enough that they increased the bus saver by 43%

and

forcing me to buy an oyster prepay, now I'm facing a 25% rise on that as
well. :-(

When will it ever end ?

When Red Ken stops spending money he hasn't got?

You don't get better transport without spending money, and if he already
had the money, we'd already have better transport.

We already have some of the most expensive public transport in Europe
already and yet it still pales in comparison to some other European
countries.

And how exactly is Ken supposed to remedy that? He can't single-handedly
lower the operational costs of UK transport.

As for buses, I think London has a pretty impressive bus system, even
compared to its European counterparts.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 27th 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim tim is offline

Neil Williams wrote:
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:14:41 -0000, "?uzzled" wrote:

Aw crap. As if it wasn't enough that they increased the bus saver by
43%

and
forcing me to buy an oyster prepay, now I'm facing a 25% rise on that
as
well. :-(

When will it ever end ?

When Red Ken stops spending money he hasn't got?

You don't get better transport without spending money, and if he already
had the money, we'd already have better transport.

We already have some of the most expensive public transport in Europe
already and yet it still pales in comparison to some other European
countries.

This is only relevent if the other countries' systems are funded from
the fare-box. They aren't.

tim

Old February 27th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:28:32 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

As for buses, I think London has a pretty impressive bus system, even
compared to its European counterparts.

I'd say London has a large number of routes and high frequencies
compared with some European cities, but it is not by any stretch of
the imagination a "system", as it is not in general well co-ordinated
with other modes or with other bus routes.

The fact that there is still no multi-modal through single fare shows
this quite nicely, for one.

Neil