Old February 27th 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Peak bus fares sneak in unannounced

Neil Williams wrote:
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:28:32 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

As for buses, I think London has a pretty impressive bus system, even
compared to its European counterparts.

I'd say London has a large number of routes and high frequencies
compared with some European cities, but it is not by any stretch of
the imagination a "system", as it is not in general well co-ordinated
with other modes or with other bus routes.

Apart from fares, it seems pretty well-coordinated to me. What do you
find un-coordinated about the London bus system?

The fact that there is still no multi-modal through single fare shows
this quite nicely, for one.

How would you price and introduce a multi-modal through single fare on
the London system, bearing in mind that it lacks capacity on the Tube
but has it to spare on the buses?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old February 28th 05, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
...and for a longer period of the day than originally planned. I'm not too
pleased about this! The only publicity I've ever seen regarding this was a
single poster a month ago saying that the current prepay bus fare was a
"limited time offer" - admittedly until today, but they never said what
would come afterwards...

Oyster prepay prices will be £1.00 from 0630-1900 weekdays, £0.80 at all
other times. Originally I think it was planned to make the "peak" period
0630-0930 only on buses.

Although the web site says peak fares apply till 19:00, the fares leaflet
says quite clearly that it's only till 09:30.

Which is it?

Lawrence Myers

Interestingly, the £1.00 fare doesn't apply on Routemasters - it will only
be the standard £0.80.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...le/bus-2.shtml

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old February 28th 05, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Lawrence Myers wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
...and for a longer period of the day than originally planned. I'm
not too pleased about this! The only publicity I've ever seen
regarding this was a single poster a month ago saying that the
current prepay bus fare was a "limited time offer" - admittedly
until today, but they never said what would come afterwards...

Oyster prepay prices will be £1.00 from 0630-1900 weekdays, £0.80
at all other times. Originally I think it was planned to make the
"peak" period 0630-0930 only on buses.

Although the web site says peak fares apply till 19:00, the fares
leaflet says quite clearly that it's only till 09:30.

Which is it?

The web site has been corrected this morning. It now says the £1 prepay
fare applies only Mon-Fri 0630-0930 (except on buses with conductors),
which is consistent with the leaflet.

--
Richard J.

Old February 28th 05, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Lawrence Myers wrote:

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

...and for a longer period of the day than originally planned. I'm
not too pleased about this! The only publicity I've ever seen
regarding this was a single poster a month ago saying that the
current prepay bus fare was a "limited time offer" - admittedly
until today, but they never said what would come afterwards...

Oyster prepay prices will be £1.00 from 0630-1900 weekdays, £0.80
at all other times. Originally I think it was planned to make the
"peak" period 0630-0930 only on buses.

Although the web site says peak fares apply till 19:00, the fares
leaflet says quite clearly that it's only till 09:30.

Which is it?

The web site has been corrected this morning. It now says the £1 prepay
fare applies only Mon-Fri 0630-0930 (except on buses with conductors),
which is consistent with the leaflet.

Hooray!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 28th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...
Lawrence Myers wrote:
[...]

When does this come into effect ? I thought there's usually some sort of
notice period before they introduce the new fares.

Old February 28th 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

?uzzled wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...

Lawrence Myers wrote:

[...]

Theoretically notice was given at the beginning of the year, although I
found the publicity rather sparse. It officially came into effect
yesterday (Sunday) although obviously today is the real start.

Just to confirm, I took two prepay bus journeys today before 1900 and
they were charged OK at 80p each.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 28th 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"?uzzled" typed

When does this come into effect ? I thought there's usually some sort of
notice period before they introduce the new fares.

Yesterday! (27 February)...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 28th 05, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote in :

How would you price and introduce a multi-modal through single fare on
the London system, bearing in mind that it lacks capacity on the Tube
but has it to spare on the buses?

How about introducing the concept of a two hour journey limit, during which
which your ticket is valid for unlimited boarding? It would be priced at
the most expensive part of the journey (so 80p if you only used the bus
after 9:30, £3.50 if you included a tube journey(s) spanning Z1-6). 80p is
probably a bit cheap for this so I would suggest 120p as a more reasonable
figure.

So on the buses you would have out-and-back £2.40, one day bus pass £3.00,
7 day bus pass £11.00 (£2.20/day based on five day week)

Tube Z1-2 (+all buses) out-and-back £4.20, Off-Peak travelcard £4.70, Peak
£6.00, 7 day travelcard £4.28/day

Tube Z1-6 (+all buses) out-and-back £7.00, Off-peak travelcard £6.00, Peak
£12.00, 7 day travelcard £7.90/day

Tube Z1-6 weekends (+all buses) out-and-back £4.00, Off-peak travelcard
£6.00.

The biggest issues in there (ignoring National Rail for now) are the price
of the Z1-6 Peak Day travelcard (too expensive), the Off-Peak Pre-Pay tube
fares (which are very good value) and the number of people who can now make
a quick trip to the shops at half price....

David
Old February 28th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Theoretically notice was given at the beginning of the year, although I
found the publicity rather sparse. It officially came into effect
yesterday (Sunday) although obviously today is the real start.

I'll say. Didn't see any publicity at all. Reading it on this board was the
first time I came across it. I still have the booklet produced that shows
the new fares for ALL public transport from 2nd January. There was no
mention of a peak fare period for Oystercard.

I switched from 70p bus saver (now £1) to 80p Oyster prepay cos I thought
that's what TFL wanted us to do (with the price preference) but what's the
point if now they're the same price ?

Old February 28th 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Jackman wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote in :

How would you price and introduce a multi-modal through single fare on
the London system, bearing in mind that it lacks capacity on the Tube
but has it to spare on the buses?

How about introducing the concept of a two hour journey limit, during which
which your ticket is valid for unlimited boarding? It would be priced at
the most expensive part of the journey (so 80p if you only used the bus
after 9:30, £3.50 if you included a tube journey(s) spanning Z1-6). 80p is
probably a bit cheap for this so I would suggest 120p as a more reasonable
figure.

Ouch. Personally, I'd rather pay 80p per bus journey and fork out £1.60
for the low number of times I need to change buses, rather than £1.20
all the time. £1.20 is getting too close to the Tube fare of £1.70 (Z1)
to make the bus significantly more attractive than the Tube for a Z1
journey, so you might see an undesirable modal shift from bus to Tube.

I'd prefer to see a discount for through bus+Tube journeys, which I
believe TfL are considering for the future.

Incidentally we had a thread on this a few weeks ago.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7