Old March 3rd 05, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fantasy bus routes

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"asdf" wrote in message

Introduce a direct Harrow to Ealing bus route,
linking at least town centre with town centre.
Takes under 20 mins by car; but a very awkward
journey by bus/tube, taking up to an hour, with
multiple changes.

Why not interchange from the 182 to the 83 at Wembley Central?

LOL!!1 83!1111****tard1111one1

BTN

Old March 3rd 05, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote:
E. Zackatackali wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 3 Mar 2005:

I think the only other sections of road that seem to have a higher

number of
routes than the A23 Brixton-Streatham must be the A215 Walworth Road

or
Oxford Street.

Even still, it's pretty squashed trying to travel between the two
centres in the rush hours. I dread what will happen if the CRT ever
becomes reality and another mode of transport empties out at Brixton!

Yes, FOOLS for not making it go at least as far as Streatham Ice Rink
(or even Norbury). Not that it'll ever get built.

Old March 3rd 05, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote:
E. Zackatackali wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 3 Mar 2005:

I think the only other sections of road that seem to have a higher number of
routes than the A23 Brixton-Streatham must be the A215 Walworth Road or
Oxford Street.

Even still, it's pretty squashed trying to travel between the two
centres in the rush hours. I dread what will happen if the CRT ever
becomes reality and another mode of transport empties out at Brixton!

If you're lucky, Croydon Tramlink will head up to Brixton after serving
Thornton Heath Pond and Streatham. It's not that likely though... I hear
that fitting trams down Streatham High Road would be a nightmare,
although I've never been there myself.

Would improved frequencies on overground rail lines or the mooted
extension of the Victoria line to Herne Hill help matters?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old March 3rd 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , E. Zackatackali
writes
Walworth Road

That name rings a bell (ding) isn't it in some soap or other?
--
Clive.
Old March 3rd 05, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Rupert Candy writes
Yes, FOOLS for not making it go at least as far as Streatham Ice Rink
(or even Norbury). Not that it'll ever get built.

Streatham Ice Rink? I used to go skating there in my late teens, one
of the best ice surfaces in the country. Circa 1968.
--
Clive.

Old March 3rd 05, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Mrs Redboots wrote:
Even still, it's pretty squashed trying to travel between the two
centres in the rush hours. I dread what will happen if the CRT

ever
becomes reality and another mode of transport empties out at

Brixton!

If you're lucky, Croydon Tramlink will head up to Brixton after

serving
Thornton Heath Pond and Streatham. It's not that likely though... I

hear
that fitting trams down Streatham High Road would be a nightmare,
although I've never been there myself.

Would improved frequencies on overground rail lines or the mooted
extension of the Victoria line to Herne Hill help matters?

Jumping in and answering for Annabel - sending the Vic to Herne Hill
would be fantastic for me (is it really still a possibility?), but the
real problem is that there's no route between Brixton and Streatham
other than by bus, and (as you probably know) Brixton is a significant
'parkway' station for a lot of SE London (and generally the quickest
way from Streatham to the West End). As you may also know, Streatham
has 3 separate NR stations, but they are all served by different lines
with roughly 4tph frequency on each (and no way of travelling between
the 3 by train!) That's why Streatham buses are so overloaded, and
that's why a [light] rail route following the Brixton - Streatham axis
would be a godsend. After all, Brixton's already got the tube, it's the
areas slightly further south that are lacking in decent transport!

Hope that makes sense.

Old March 3rd 05, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive Coleman wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 3 Mar 2005:

In message ps
.com, Rupert Candy writes
Yes, FOOLS for not making it go at least as far as Streatham Ice Rink
(or even Norbury). Not that it'll ever get built.

Streatham Ice Rink? I used to go skating there in my late teens, one of
the best ice surfaces in the country. Circa 1968.

I go there about 5 times a week! Which is why I get irritated that I
don't have a direct bus.... still, walking into Brixton is good for me.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old March 3rd 05, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 3 Mar 2005:

Would improved frequencies on overground rail lines or the mooted
extension of the Victoria line to Herne Hill help matters?

What would *really* help is if they could run direct trains between
Brixton and Streatham. The infrastructure is there, but "it's not a
route", so you have to change at Herne Hill.... Sigh....

Old March 3rd 05, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rupert Candy wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

Mrs Redboots wrote:

Even still, it's pretty squashed trying to travel between the two
centres in the rush hours. I dread what will happen if the CRT

ever

becomes reality and another mode of transport empties out at

Brixton!

If you're lucky, Croydon Tramlink will head up to Brixton after

serving

Thornton Heath Pond and Streatham. It's not that likely though... I

hear

that fitting trams down Streatham High Road would be a nightmare,
although I've never been there myself.

Would improved frequencies on overground rail lines or the mooted
extension of the Victoria line to Herne Hill help matters?

Jumping in and answering for Annabel - sending the Vic to Herne Hill
would be fantastic for me (is it really still a possibility?)

I don't think anyone has mentioned it for quite a while, but since it
should enhance line capacity (by putting it on a loop from Brixton SB -
Herne Hill - Brixton NB) it can't be ruled out. No plans from the
infraco though as part of the upgrade so it's not likely soon.

However, if Crossrail 2 were to ever come to fruition, it would free up
enough capacity on the Victoria line to consider extending it further
southwards than Herne Hill.

but the
real problem is that there's no route between Brixton and Streatham
other than by bus, and (as you probably know) Brixton is a significant
'parkway' station for a lot of SE London (and generally the quickest
way from Streatham to the West End). As you may also know, Streatham
has 3 separate NR stations, but they are all served by different lines
with roughly 4tph frequency on each (and no way of travelling between
the 3 by train!) That's why Streatham buses are so overloaded, and
that's why a [light] rail route following the Brixton - Streatham axis
would be a godsend. After all, Brixton's already got the tube, it's the
areas slightly further south that are lacking in decent transport!

Well, hopefully in the future there will be tram routes heading towards
Streatham from both directions, so it can't be a massive step beyond
that to link them up...

PS Have they finished working on Brixton Tube station yet?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old March 3rd 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive Coleman wrote:
In message , E. Zackatackali
writes

Walworth Road

That name rings a bell (ding) isn't it in some soap or other?

Used to be Labour Party HQ.