Old March 3rd 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fantasy bus routes

Make all routes cyclic, so that instead of running over the same route
repeatedly, they switch to a different one, eventually cycling through
several routes and getting back to where they started.

Buses would display their next route as well as their current route.

For passengers that would've wanted to change to the new route anyway,

they
can just stay on the bus, and for those who don't, the system is no
different from how it is now.

You'd need to abandon strict timetabling, because it's ****ing ****.
Instead, buses should set out from their starting location for any given
route when the next bus on the same route reaches a given trigger point.
Passengers might be sitting on a stationary bus for a while, but they'd

only
be waiting at the stop for the same bus anyway.

BTN

These are both excellent ideas. The first actually happens on several of
the First Bus operated routes between Huddersfield and Holmfirth (not London
I know but just as an example), although they don't display the next route.
Essentially, one vehicle might work from Huddersfield via A, B and C to
Holmfirth, then assume a different route number and return to Huddersfield
via D, E and F. Passengers who know how the routes work can travel from C
to D without changing at Holmfirth.

Andrew

Old March 3rd 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , James
writes
RV1 - run it with those fake heritage tram ye olde stylee buses you
find in foreign cities to amuse the tourists

How about using RMs on it instead?
--

how about designing a modern HSE acceptable conductor operated bus and
reintroducing conductors on many routes ?

Andrew

Old March 4th 05, 01:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in message

Make all routes cyclic, so that instead of running
over the same route repeatedly, they switch to a
different one, eventually cycling through several
routes and getting back to where they started.

And then an accident on a one-bus-route road would screw half a dozen bus
routes...

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 4th 05, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 3 Mar 2005:

PS Have they finished working on Brixton Tube station yet?

Will they ever? They seem to have been working on it fairly solidly for
most of the last 15 years. Every so often they stop and say they're
done for the moment, but the following year they start again!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old March 4th 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:31:14 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

And AIUI the 'Tilley Bus' between Barnet and Edgware Hospitals has been
discontinued, while parking at Edgware shrinks each time I look!

The operator changed fairly recently, but the route still runs.

Since February 1st, it has been operated by Krest Self Drive Hire Ltd.
From Edgware hourly 0645 until 2145
From Barnet, hourly 0715 until 2215.

HTH

--
Thomas Covenant
Please observe reply to Address.

Old March 6th 05, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Rupert Candy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Streatham has 3 separate NR stations, but they are all
served by different lines with roughly 4tph frequency on each
(and no way of travelling between the 3 by train!)

Brixton's already got the tube, it's the areas slightly
further south that are lacking in decent transport!

Hope that makes sense.

No! Many parts of London would kill for the rail network Streatham has.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 6th 05, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive Coleman" wrote in message
In message , E. Zackatackali
writes

Walworth Road

That name rings a bell (ding) isn't it in some soap or other?

EastEnders is set in a fictional suburb called Walford.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 6th 05, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:26:04 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote:

The 15 needs all the buses it can get, anyway, especially on District
Line Closure weekends but also generally. Some
of you may remember my postings here some months ago about the
overcrowding on the route to/from the Tower. This is
something I've experienced several times again since.......

I agree. I would increase the frequency of the 15, or extend the 115 to
Trafalgar Sq. I've lost count of the number of times I've stood at the
bus stop waiting for the 15, but had 6 No11s and 4 No23s turn up before a
15. Stagecoach, brewery, p***-up spring to mind.

I'd also extend the 262 back up to Walthamstow as I'm told it used to go.
It'd save me changing on to the 69.

Old March 6th 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 16:47:20 +0000, Clive Coleman
wrote:

In message .com,
Rupert Candy writes
Yes, FOOLS for not making it go at least as far as Streatham Ice Rink
(or even Norbury). Not that it'll ever get built.
Streatham Ice Rink? I used to go skating there in my late teens, one
of the best ice surfaces in the country. Circa 1968.

LOL! You've not been there lately then?! The sooner TESCO build the new
rink so they can demolish that dump the better.

Old March 6th 05, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message opsm8f7or2wn44ge@stephen, Stephen
writes
Stagecoach, brewery, p***-up spring to mind.

Why does everybody insist on blaming the operating companies when they
are just contractors to TfL?

It's TfL who are the ones who set these things.