Old March 12th 05, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Saturday parking hours

Does anyone know why we have Saturday morning restrictions in many areas,
even in quiet back streets, til 1.30?

M.

Old March 12th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:18:41 GMT, marcb
wrote:

Does anyone know why we have Saturday morning restrictions in many areas,
even in quiet back streets, til 1.30?

So shoppers will use the provided car parks and pay for their use?

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old March 12th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Does anyone know why we have Saturday morning restrictions in many areas,
even in quiet back streets, til 1.30?

So shoppers will use the provided car parks and pay for their use?

Neil

Or so that residents can find a parking space within half a mile of their
own doorstep ?

Old March 12th 05, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:03:02 -0000, "umpston"
wrote:

Or so that residents can find a parking space within half a mile of their
own doorstep ?

That, too, though one should remember when buying a property with no
off-street parking that, unless a residents' parking scheme is in
force, one is no more or less entitled to park outside it than any
other person operating a motor vehicle.

Neil

Old March 14th 05, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Eh?

Most town centres (and most suburban centres of London) have on-street
parking restrictions covering the whole of Saturday afternoon
(typically 8am-6.30pm Monday to Saturday).

Central London is highly unusual in allowing free parking on Saturday
afternoon on streets where it is banned on weekdays.

Old March 19th 05, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard Adamfi" wrote in message
oups.com...
Eh?

Most town centres (and most suburban centres of London) have on-street
parking restrictions covering the whole of Saturday afternoon
(typically 8am-6.30pm Monday to Saturday).

Central London is highly unusual in allowing free parking on Saturday
afternoon on streets where it is banned on weekdays.

I remember when people used to be encouraged to shop in town centres,
parking was simple, free - or very cheap, and charged after the event
(avoiding the PRP parking vultures). Its no wonder that our towns and
villages are becoming a local shop, maybe a pub, and 16 estate agents.
Destroying the town in the anti-private-transport quest.
--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.

Old March 19th 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:
"Richard Adamfi" wrote in message
oups.com...

Eh?

Most town centres (and most suburban centres of London) have on-street
parking restrictions covering the whole of Saturday afternoon
(typically 8am-6.30pm Monday to Saturday).

Central London is highly unusual in allowing free parking on Saturday
afternoon on streets where it is banned on weekdays.

I remember when people used to be encouraged to shop in town centres,
parking was simple, free - or very cheap, and charged after the event
(avoiding the PRP parking vultures). Its no wonder that our towns and
villages are becoming a local shop, maybe a pub, and 16 estate agents.
Destroying the town in the anti-private-transport quest.

Yes, that must be it... not trying to save our town centres from
becoming car-jammed polluted nightmares.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old March 19th 05, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
I remember when people used to be encouraged to shop in town centres,
parking was simple, free - or very cheap, and charged after the event
(avoiding the PRP parking vultures). Its no wonder that our towns and
villages are becoming a local shop, maybe a pub, and 16 estate agents.
Destroying the town in the anti-private-transport quest.

Yes, that must be it... not trying to save our town centres from
becoming car-jammed polluted nightmares.

Save it for who? Theres no reason to go into most town centres now.

If you really want to stop the polution, noise and smells, you'd have
pedestrianised streets in the middle with NO BUSSES, and you'd have cheap
(or free - theres a thought!) carparks nearby. Effectivly it would become an
out-of-town shopping center, in the middle of town.

On a similar point, why do station carparks charge you money? When I lived
near Warrington the local station had a small (free) car park, as well as
plenty of space 50 yards away in the shopping center car park. 20 minutes
from Birchwood and you're in the center of Manchester.

If you want to encourage people to use trains, why charge them to park at
the stations? Why not make park and rid schemes (for commuting. carrying a
bookshelf or a weeks shopping back on the train just isn't a nice thing to
do) cheap, safe, reliable and easy.

Old March 20th 05, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:

Save it for who? Theres no reason to go into most town centres now.

Sadly, this is the case. However, I'm always a believer in supporting
your local traders - both market and shops - even if it means paying an
extra penny or two on a bag of spuds.

It was actually *more* hassle getting the car out and driving to a
supermarket than it was walking to the local market - having lived in
Streatham (using Brixton market), Fulham and Hammersmith this was the
case every single time.

For many of us in the sticks public transport is a pain in the bum tho
(I'm now in Wakefield).

--
Joel Rowbottom - joel at fotopic dot net - Head Guy, Fotopic.Net
10M+ photos :: 200+ countries :: Free gallery at http://fotopic.net