Old March 26th 05, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

On 26 Mar 2005 13:38:40 -0800, "Rupert Candy"
wrote:

We've really opened a can of worms here. It's far more complex (and
anomalous) than I thought.

The situation is actually quite clear. It's set out in the National
Fares Manual - check page A5 of this document:
http://www.atoc.org/traveltrade/manu...iona-part1.pdf

I honestly hadn't realised that KXT wasn't a "London Terminal".

It is, but only if you're approaching from the north (and there isn't
a blockade on).

Old March 26th 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:24:28 +0000, Barry Salter
wrote:

On 25 Mar 2005 16:01:45 -0800, "Rupert Candy"
wrote:

I suppose so, but I wonder how many people in e.g. Luton realise that
if they buy a ticket to "London" it won't be valid at Farringdon, so
they have to buy a ticket to "Farringdon LU"? In other words, how many
people would *correctly* use the validators for the journey you
describe? (Obviously a rhetorical question.)

In the normal course of events, tickets from stations between West
Hampstead and Bedford (inclusive) *to* London should be issued to London
Thameslink (NLC 4452), and are valid to stations from Kings Cross
Thamelsink through to Moorgate, Elephant & Castle or London Bridge.

At the moment, such tickets (assuming they're not routed "Thameslink
Only" or "Not Underground") are being accepted on London Underground
services to Farringdon, Barbican, Moorgate, Blackfriars and London
Bridge; and also on buses on routes 45 and 63.

If you've got a ticket routed "Thameslink Only" or "Not Underground",
however (e.g. easyJet promo, DaySave or Thameslink Partner's Card), you
have to walk from St Pancras down to Kings Cross Thameslink (or get the
Thameslink Assisted Travel Bus to City Thameslink) to continue your
journey.

HTH,

Barry

Thanks for that, it rather explains my previous post in this thread
about the KX barriers accepting the tickets. Just wish that the RPI at
KX (LU) knew about it - there when I queried the possibility I was
told 'No way'

Keith J Chesworth
www.unseenlondon.co.uk
www.blackpooltram.co.uk
www.happysnapper.com
www.boilerbill.com - main site
www.amerseyferry.co.uk
Old March 27th 05, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:04:20 +0100, Barry Salter
wrote:

And, for completeness, the current list of stations valid for
cross-London transfer on a through ticket (displaying the "Maltese
Cross" marker, is as follows:

Aldgate Embankment London Bridge
Amersham Euston Marylebone
Baker Street Euston Square Moorgate
Balham Farringdon New Cross Gate
Bank Finsbury Park Old Street
Barking Greenwich Paddington
Blackfriars Highbury & Islington Queens Park
Blackhorse Road Kensington Olympia Richmond
Canning Town Kentish Town Seven Sisters
Cannon Street King's Cross/St Pancras Southwark
Charing Cross Lancaster Gate Stratford
Ealing Broadway Lewisham Tottenham Hale
Edgware Road Limehouse Tower Hill
Elephant & Castle Liverpool Street Upminster

Apologies for pedantry but you've missed all the stations starting with
"V" and "W" ! I only spotted it because my local station - Walthamstow
Central - is also a transfer point.

Therefore add on

Vauxhall Waterloo West Hampstead
Victoria West Brompton Wimbledon
Walthamstow Central West Ham

--
Paul C

Old March 27th 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:

And, for completeness, the current list of stations valid for
cross-London transfer on a through ticket (displaying the "Maltese
Cross" marker, is as follows:

Aldgate Embankment London Bridge
Amersham Euston Marylebone
Baker Street Euston Square Moorgate
Balham Farringdon New Cross Gate
Bank Finsbury Park Old Street
Barking Greenwich Paddington
Blackfriars Highbury & Islington Queens Park
Blackhorse Road Kensington Olympia Richmond
Canning Town Kentish Town Seven Sisters
Cannon Street King's Cross/St Pancras Southwark
Charing Cross Lancaster Gate Stratford
Ealing Broadway Lewisham Tottenham Hale
Edgware Road Limehouse Tower Hill
Elephant & Castle Liverpool Street Upminster

From the above, is it legitimate for a passenger travelling from, say,
Aylesbury to Southend, to use LUL between Amersham and Upminster, or are
passengers required to make maximum use of National Rail services?

--
John Ray
Old March 28th 05, 03:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:44:04 +0100, John Ray wrote:

From the above, is it legitimate for a passenger travelling from, say,
Aylesbury to Southend, to use LUL between Amersham and Upminster,

It certainly looks that way, though why anyone would want to do that is
a bit of a mystery. Presumably time to waste...

Break of journey is, I think, something of an issue.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632911.html
(Skye seen through mist and low cloud from Kyle of Lochalsh in 1999)

Old March 28th 05, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default KXT as a London Terminal

Matthew Dickinson wrote in
:

Kings Cross Thameslink is not a valid "London Terminal" for journeys
from the south.

I agree with what you say, but when I asked for a ticket from East Dulwich
to KXT I was given one to London Terminals. This was in Sept 04. Has
something changed. Or was the staff member confused.

--
Andrew Black
andrewblack at despammed.com
London
Old March 29th 05, 06:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:13:00 -0800, Rupert Candy wrote:
In that case I suppose the Farringdon validators are actually intended
for people changing *onto* Thameslink, having used Prepay to get them
there on the Tube (since otherwise you would be leaving the Tube
without passing through a gateline). In fact I can't think of any way
they could be used in the opposite direction (though I suppose someone
might *theoretically* have e.g. a Brighton - Farringdon LU season...)

Or a ticket from the north - Bedford - Farrington etc. Why is this such a
strange thing?

--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Old March 29th 05, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
Rupert Candy writes
IMHO the status of Farringdon as a non-London Terminal is a ridiculous
anomaly that catches out large numbers of people who believe themselves
to be holding a valid ticket. It's ridiculous that with my particular
season ticket I can get off the train at City Thameslink or KXT (a good
deal further on than Farringdon and no more of a "terminal" under
non-blockade circumstances), but if I dare to get off at the station
between them I risk a £10 penalty fare. Grr.

I thought that *all* rail season tickets were automatically valid for
all combinations of stations on a valid route between the end points.
Can you explain what is special about your ticket that makes this not
true?

--
Clive Page
Old March 29th 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , "Andrew
Black (delete obvious bit)" writes
I agree with what you say, but when I asked for a ticket from East Dulwich
to KXT I was given one to London Terminals. This was in Sept 04. Has
something changed. Or was the staff member confused.

I rather suspect that ticket office staff may be confused. On several
occasions I have bought a ticket from a south London terminal such as
Waterloo or Charing Cross to Luton, telling the clerk that I wanted a
ticket valid on NR trains from there to London Bridge, and then north
via Thameslink. I have mostly been sold a "London Terminals" to Luton
ticket at (I'm pretty sure) the same price as if I had bought one at,
say, King's Cross (but not Farringdon). I suspect these were sold to me
too cheaply, but I'm not sure.

There is obviously a distinction between north London terminals, and
south London ones as far as the fares go, but is such a distinction
visible on the ticket itself when it is printed?

--
Clive Page
Old March 29th 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote in
:

Just to doubly confuse matters, it is a London Terminal. The group
comprises:

So I am even more confused now. If I buy a ticket to "London Terminals"
it is only valid to some terminals. How do I find out which terminals it is
valid to?