Old December 19th 03, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
I@n I@n is offline

Default Another Oyster Prepay Thread - How Do You Buy It?

I do not have a photocard.

Oystercard.com won't let you buy a prepay card without a photocard
number.

Oystercard telephone sales won't let you buy a prepay card without a
photocard number.

Fulham Broadway tube station (admittedly the only one I've tried at
but it's not exactly small) are adamant that there is no such thing as
a prepay card, they can't sell me one, and they can't give me a
photocard on it's own either.

I know it's not usable yet but the web site says it can be bought now.
Or am I supposed to wait until Jan 4th and then buy it in the tube
station (hopefully someone will have educated Fulham Broadway by
then). Will I still get 2003 prices if I can't buy it until Jan 4th?

Old December 19th 03, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19/12/03 5:51 pm, in article ,
"I@n" -uk wrote:

Will I still get 2003 prices if I can't buy it until Jan 4th?

PrePay is cash stored on the Oystercard. Which means you can buy 10 pounds
worth of PrePay for 10 pounds.

I think 2003 prices will be the same as 2004.

Steve.

Old December 19th 03, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I@n wrote:
I do not have a photocard.

Oystercard.com won't let you buy a prepay card without a photocard
number.

Oystercard telephone sales won't let you buy a prepay card without a
photocard number.

Fulham Broadway tube station (admittedly the only one I've tried at
but it's not exactly small) are adamant that there is no such thing as
a prepay card, they can't sell me one, and they can't give me a
photocard on it's own either.

Come to Gloucester Road. We had Oyster roving sales people today! Even
if they aren't there, if you say to the ticket office staff you want a
photocard because you'll be getting an Oystercard, they'll give the
photocard to you no problem. It took me about 15 seconds.

Obviously the Fulham Bdy people are uneducated on the matter (and hence
wrong) but sometimes it's just easier to go elsewhere...

I know it's not usable yet but the web site says it can be bought now.
Or am I supposed to wait until Jan 4th and then buy it in the tube
station (hopefully someone will have educated Fulham Broadway by
then). Will I still get 2003 prices if I can't buy it until Jan 4th?

Yes, the fares only start on Jan 4th anyway and run through to the
following New Year.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old December 19th 03, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
DDV DDV is offline

"I@n" -uk wrote in message . ..
I do not have a photocard.

Oystercard.com won't let you buy a prepay card without a photocard
number.

Oystercard telephone sales won't let you buy a prepay card without a
photocard number.

Fulham Broadway tube station (admittedly the only one I've tried at
but it's not exactly small) are adamant that there is no such thing as
a prepay card, they can't sell me one, and they can't give me a
photocard on it's own either.

I know it's not usable yet but the web site says it can be bought now.
Or am I supposed to wait until Jan 4th and then buy it in the tube
station (hopefully someone will have educated Fulham Broadway by
then). Will I still get 2003 prices if I can't buy it until Jan 4th?

I just put the number 0 in the space for the photocard and it was
accepted and I have the card
Old December 20th 03, 12:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , "I@n"
-uk writes

I do not have a photocard.

Oystercard.com won't let you buy a prepay card without a photocard
number.

Oystercard telephone sales won't let you buy a prepay card without a
photocard number.

Fulham Broadway tube station (admittedly the only one I've tried at
but it's not exactly small) are adamant that there is no such thing as
a prepay card, they can't sell me one, and they can't give me a
photocard on it's own either.

I know it's not usable yet but the web site says it can be bought now.
Or am I supposed to wait until Jan 4th and then buy it in the tube
station (hopefully someone will have educated Fulham Broadway by
then). Will I still get 2003 prices if I can't buy it until Jan 4th?

You can buy one now. There's a £3.00 (refundable) deposit and it doesn't
matter when you buy it, you'll still pay this year's fare for single
journeys.
As an Oyster card holding only a Pre Pay amount will be transferable, I
cannot see the need for a photocard.
Try another station (but preferably not Brixton ;-))
--
Kat Reality is the leading cause of stress among those in touch with it.

Old December 20th 03, 03:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Kat" wrote in message
[...]

Ring the helpdesk and ask them to look into why the station is saying this.

I've had exactly the same problem at Waterloo. It was eventually resolved
after a load of phone calls and a argument with the DSM.

Prepay oyster can be got over the counter from *any* LUL ticket office. For
prepay you *do not* need a photo card, *nor* do you need to register it.
Only from the tele sales team, or the website.

If you are still having problems reply to me via the group, and ill contact
you back privately and can give you contact details for the helpdesk, a name
and internal number.

Enjoy.

---

Old December 20th 03, 08:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
I@n -uk wrote:

I do not have a photocard.

Oystercard.com won't let you buy a prepay card without a photocard
number.

Oystercard telephone sales won't let you buy a prepay card without a
photocard number.

Fulham Broadway tube station (admittedly the only one I've tried at
but it's not exactly small) are adamant that there is no such thing as
a prepay card, they can't sell me one, and they can't give me a
photocard on it's own either.

I know it's not usable yet but the web site says it can be bought now.
Or am I supposed to wait until Jan 4th and then buy it in the tube
station (hopefully someone will have educated Fulham Broadway by
then). Will I still get 2003 prices if I can't buy it until Jan 4th?

I purchased my Oyster card at Baker St tube station by presenting a
passport photo and asking for a card with a 7-day bus ticket.

David

Old December 20th 03, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:51:31 +0000, "I@n" -uk wrote:

Fulham Broadway tube station (admittedly the only one I've tried at
but it's not exactly small) are adamant that there is no such thing as
a prepay card, they can't sell me one, and they can't give me a
photocard on it's own either.

Last Monday I asked at Goldhawk Road for just a photocard so that I
could get an Oyster Pre-Pay online.

The ticket guy said he'd have to charge me £1 for the photocard unless
I bought a ticket, but that he could sell me the pre-pay Oystercard.

In the end, it took him about 15 minutes to issue it, involving 2
longish calls to a helpline, and which included him having to relay
questions to me from the phone such as 'what kinds of tickets was I
hoping to buy with it', and 'did I know it wouldn't work until
January', 'did i realise it wouldn't work on buses' etc!

He asked if I 'really' wanted to put £10 credit on the card, and at
the end, when I didn't question the £3 deposit, he expressed huge
relief that finally, 'someone' had actually bothered to read the
Oystercard leaflet!

He was throughly friendly and nice about the whole thing though, and i
felt quite guilty taking up so much of his time!

I got the feeling they are dreading the complexity of issueing and
explaining the Oystercards to people!

Old December 20th 03, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:24:30 +0000, Paul
wrote:

I got the feeling they are dreading the complexity of issueing and
explaining the Oystercards to people!

I do wonder whether the complexity is resulting from the fact that a
traditional, complicated, paper-style fare structure is being retained
on what is essentially a new concept in ticketing, and the two don't
go together well.

Simplify and flatten the fare structure substantially, and it'll work
a lot better.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old December 20th 03, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Q" wrote in
:

Prepay oyster can be got over the counter from *any* LUL ticket office.
For prepay you *do not* need a photo card, *nor* do you need to
register it. Only from the tele sales team, or the website.

What happens if the user of a "pre pay only" Oyster card wants to load a
season ticket onto it? Do they then have to register a phot card?

David