Old March 25th 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
mo mo is offline

Default My journey to Central London

Is tomorrow

Doesnt look liek we will have GPS unless I can borrow one by tomorrow
morning

Just out of interest, following Mikes directions we get to Parliment Square
which is just near Downing street - what happens if you try and go down
there?

Do they have road blocks and stuff so only authorised personnel can enter?

Old March 25th 05, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"mo" wrote in message
Do they have road blocks and stuff so only authorised personnel can enter?

Yes.

Old March 25th 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
mo mo is offline

"David Splett" wrote in message
"mo" wrote in message
Do they have road blocks and stuff so only authorised personnel can
enter?

Yes.

well keep an eye on the 10 o'clock news tomorrow night ;o)

Old March 25th 05, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

mo wrote:
Is tomorrow

Doesnt look liek we will have GPS unless I can borrow one by tomorrow
morning

Just out of interest, following Mikes directions we get to Parliment Square
which is just near Downing street - what happens if you try and go down
there?

You drive into a big metal gate, and the policemen permanently stationed
there take you away, probably under the Prevention of Terrorism Act
2005...
Old March 25th 05, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
mo mo is offline

"James Farrar" wrote in message
mo wrote:
Is tomorrow

Doesnt look liek we will have GPS unless I can borrow one by tomorrow
morning

Just out of interest, following Mikes directions we get to Parliment
Square which is just near Downing street - what happens if you try and go
down there?

You drive into a big metal gate, and the policemen permanently stationed
there take you away, probably under the Prevention of Terrorism Act
2005...

just one guard you say? i'll mow him down in my Fiesta

Can we get close enough to take a photo (why not??) - or can we just claim
we didnt know what was down there!

Old March 25th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

mo ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

just one guard you say? i'll mow him down in my Fiesta

Umm, he is armed.

Can we get close enough to take a photo (why not??)

Of the big metal gate? Absolutely...

or can we just claim we didnt know what was down there!

You can certainly try...
Old March 25th 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

mo wrote:
Is tomorrow

Doesnt look liek we will have GPS unless I can borrow one by
tomorrow morning

Just out of interest, following Mikes directions we get to
Parliment Square which is just near Downing street - what happens
if you try and go down there?

You drive into a big metal gate, and the policemen permanently
stationed there take you away, probably under the Prevention of
Terrorism Act 2005...

just one guard you say? i'll mow him down in my Fiesta

Can we get close enough to take a photo (why not??) - or can we
just claim we didnt know what was down there!

The gates are pretty bulky, so if you take a photo as you drive past,
you would get a good photo of the gates, but maybe not No. 10 beyond
them. If you stop the car to get out and take a photo, check first
whether it's a no-stopping zone (I'm not sure).

Downing Street is off Whitehall, so it's not actually on Mike's route,
which goes straight through Parliament Square across the end of
Whitehall, then turn left at Big Ben on to the Embankment.

Have a good trip.

--
Richard J.

Old March 25th 05, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
mo mo is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 1.4...
mo ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

just one guard you say? i'll mow him down in my Fiesta

Umm, he is armed.

yea, but my fiesta has been beefed up with bullet proof glass, so i am
taking him down at the very least!

maybe we will try if we get bored and have tiem for it, lol

Old March 26th 05, 02:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
. ..

The gates are pretty bulky, so if you take a photo as
you drive past, you would get a good photo of the
gates, but maybe not No. 10 beyond them. If you
stop the car to get out and take a photo, check first
whether it's a no-stopping zone (I'm not sure).

The police don't want you stopping near Downing St. I have been moved on by
police for stopping at about the midpoint of The Mall!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 26th 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , mo
writes
Is tomorrow

Doesnt look liek we will have GPS unless I can borrow one by tomorrow
morning

Just out of interest, following Mikes directions we get to Parliment Square
which is just near Downing street - what happens if you try and go down
there?

Do they have road blocks and stuff so only authorised personnel can enter?

Here is an alternative to the route I originally suggested. This will
get you to a parking area close to the theatre and also give you one of
the best views of London you will ever get.

From A4 to Hyde Park Corner
Leave by Constitution Hill (Buckingham Palace on your right)
R the L in to Birdcage Walk (Guards Barracks on right)
Forward in to Parliament Sq
Forward Bridge St (Houses of Parliament on your right)
F Westminster Bridge
keep in Left lane (but NOT Bus Lane!!)
L at end in to York Road (London Eye on your left)
L over Waterloo Bridge (Stop in the middle and look at the view up and
down stream - marvellous)
Keep in RIGHT lane go through Kingsway underpass
R at Remnant Street (traffic lights and 1st R you can take)
this leads in to Lincolns Inn Fields
you will have to check the car parking times very carefully as it is
controlled by Camden council who are not the motorists friend
Good luck and keep us informed

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England