Old March 31st 05, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Walking Underground

"Clive Page" wrote in message

Others look as though they are the
result of stupid design decisions,

To bandy the word "stupid" around without detailed knowledge of the
constraints is unfair.

or perhaps thoughtless penny-pinching.

That I can believe.

Take Green Park station, for example, where all
three possible interconnection seems to involve
a very long walk and lots of stairs and escalators.
But both Victoria and Jubilee stations were built
while the system was in common ownership.

I don't know about Green Park, but I know that at Waterloo, modern
construction safety rules prevented them from building the Jubilee station
where they wanted. I believe this was the main reason why all of the Jubilee
interchanges are so poor compared to the rake of very convenient Victoria
Line interchanges built in a less fussy era.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 31st 05, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland:
I don't know about Green Park, but I know that at Waterloo, modern
construction safety rules prevented them from building the Jubilee
station where they wanted.

Interesting; can you say what the specific issue was?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "He seems unable to win without the added
thrill of changing sides." -- Chess
Old March 31st 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Clive Page" wrote in message

Others look as though they are the
result of stupid design decisions,

To bandy the word "stupid" around without detailed knowledge of the
constraints is unfair.

or perhaps thoughtless penny-pinching.

That I can believe.

Take Green Park station, for example, where all
three possible interconnection seems to involve
a very long walk and lots of stairs and escalators.
But both Victoria and Jubilee stations were built
while the system was in common ownership.

I don't know about Green Park, but I know that at Waterloo, modern
construction safety rules prevented them from building the Jubilee station
where they wanted. I believe this was the main reason why all of the Jubilee
interchanges are so poor compared to the rake of very convenient Victoria
Line interchanges built in a less fussy era.

I remember reading the reason behind the Green Park setup somewhere but,
annoyingly, I can't remember where. It's not on the Internet; I have a
feeling it was in the LT Museum bookshop...

There's definitely a good reason for it though.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 1st 05, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
John Rowland:

I don't know about Green Park, but I know that at
Waterloo, modern construction safety rules prevented
them from building the Jubilee station where they wanted.

Interesting; can you say what the specific issue was?

Sorry, I can't remember. I was told by someone directly involved in the
project, though.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 1st 05, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Brimstone wrote:

"Clive Page" wrote in message
In article , Brimstone
writes

"Ant W-M" wrote in message

Many thanks for these two useful postings. The information I really
need in addition to this is which tube line interchanges are best
avoided because of those LONG walks along tunnels. Sometimes it
seems like one is walking underground to another tube station!

In some cases, you are.

Yes, but only in some cases. Others look as though they are the result of
stupid design decisions, or perhaps thoughtless penny-pinching.

Take Green Park station, for example, where all three possible
interconnection seems to involve a very long walk and lots of stairs
and escalators.

I'm sure there are a wide variety of reasons why the platforms were
placed where they are. I suspect geology and existing underground
structures would have been well up the list.

That's exactly it - specifically, the sekrit underground bunkars [1] along
Piccadilly, also the reason why the Piccadilly Circus station for
Crossrail 2 is having trouble. I'm telling you.

tom

[1] Built and inhabited by freemasons, naturally.

--
The final chapter, prophetic, poetic

Old April 1st 05, 05:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:43:17 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Brimstone wrote:

"Clive Page" wrote in message
In article , Brimstone
writes

"Ant W-M" wrote in message

[...]

Now you've done it, we'll have to send the black helicopters after you
for letting out such a closely guarded secret!!

Keith J Chesworth
www.unseenlondon.co.uk
www.blackpooltram.co.uk
www.happysnapper.com