Old March 28th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Walking Underground

I'm having to use the Tube to travel to work in various London hotels on
contract. As I need to cart around a heavy wheeled toolcase, it would be
useful to know the interchanges between tube lines with the least amount of
walking and steps (escalators aren't such a problem).

Is this information available anywhere? I haven't been able to find it on
the TfL web site . . .

Anthony

Old March 28th 05, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ant W-M wrote:
I'm having to use the Tube to travel to work in various London
hotels on contract. As I need to cart around a heavy wheeled
toolcase, it would be useful to know the interchanges between tube
lines with the least amount of walking and steps (escalators aren't
such a problem).

Is this information available anywhere? I haven't been able to
find it on the TfL web site . . .

Go to http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/faq/mobile.asp
There is a link to a spreadsheet of very detailed information about each
station, plus .pdf and .gif versions of the Tube Access Guide.
--
Richard J.

Old March 29th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Ant W-M wrote:

I'm having to use the Tube to travel to work in various London
hotels on contract. As I need to cart around a heavy wheeled
toolcase, it would be useful to know the interchanges between tube
lines with the least amount of walking and steps (escalators aren't
such a problem).

Is this information available anywhere? I haven't been able to
find it on the TfL web site . . .

Go to http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/faq/mobile.asp
There is a link to a spreadsheet of very detailed information about each
station, plus .pdf and .gif versions of the Tube Access Guide.

In addition, you may find the following list of cross-platform
interchanges between lines useful:
http://london.openguides.org/index.c...m_Interchanges

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old March 30th 05, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Richard J. wrote:
Ant W-M wrote:

I'm having to use the Tube to travel to work in various London
hotels on contract. As I need to cart around a heavy wheeled
toolcase, it would be useful to know the interchanges between tube
lines with the least amount of walking and steps (escalators aren't
such a problem).

Is this information available anywhere? I haven't been able to
find it on the TfL web site . . .

Go to http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/faq/mobile.asp
There is a link to a spreadsheet of very detailed information about each
station, plus .pdf and .gif versions of the Tube Access Guide.

In addition, you may find the following list of cross-platform
interchanges between lines useful:
http://london.openguides.org/index.c...m_Interchanges

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Many thanks for these two useful postings. The information I really need in
addition to this is which tube line interchanges are best avoided because of
those LONG walks along tunnels. Sometimes it seems like one is walking
underground to another tube station!

Anthony

Old March 30th 05, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ant W-M" wrote in message

Many thanks for these two useful postings. The information I really need
in addition to this is which tube line interchanges are best avoided
because of those LONG walks along tunnels. Sometimes it seems like one is
walking underground to another tube station!

In some cases, you are.

Without getting into the detail, all the lines were conceived, and mostly
built, as entirely seperate entities with their own stations. During the
interwar years some joining up took place and a few stations were replaced
with another nearer to that on another line whilst in other cases
underground connections were built.

Old March 30th 05, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

Ant W-M wrote:

[...]

Hmm... I'm not sure if that's available online (if not, maybe it should
be!). The ones I'd flag up would be Green Park, King's Cross,
Bank/Monument, Waterloo and Notting Hill Gate; I'm sure other people
have other favourite nasty changes too.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old March 30th 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Ant W-M wrote:

Many thanks for these two useful postings. The information I
really need in addition to this is which tube line interchanges
are best avoided because of those LONG walks along tunnels.
Sometimes it seems like one is walking underground to another tube
station!

Hmm... I'm not sure if that's available online (if not, maybe it
should be!). The ones I'd flag up would be Green Park, King's
Cross, Bank/Monument, Waterloo and Notting Hill Gate; I'm sure
other people have other favourite nasty changes too.

Not all the interchanges at those stations are inconvenient. For
example:

Bank/Monument: District/Circle, Northern, DLR are reasonably close
together. The really long interchanges are W&C or Central to/from
Monument.

Waterloo: Jubilee to the other tubes is long (travelator).
Bakerloo/Northern (and Eurostar/Windsor Lines) are conveniently close
together.

Other long ones that come to mind:
Baker Street: Bakerloo/Jubilee to/from Circle/H&C, especially westbound.

Canary Wharf: Jubilee to/from Canary Wharf DLR is long, through
underground shopping mall. Herons Quay DLR is nearer.
--
Richard J.

Old March 30th 05, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 30 Mar 2005:

Hmm... I'm not sure if that's available online (if not, maybe it should
be!). The ones I'd flag up would be Green Park, King's Cross,
Bank/Monument, Waterloo and Notting Hill Gate; I'm sure other people
have other favourite nasty changes too.

My favourite nasty change is from the Northern to the Jubilee at London
Bridge - quite a lot of steps (in one direction they are mostly up, the
other mostly down). Waterloo isn't so bad as there is a Travelator &
it's flat.

Green Park is okay if you go towards the exit - you can stand on the
escalator, walk across the ticket hall and down the other side, but I
wouldn't walk through all those tunnels.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old March 30th 05, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Brimstone
writes

"Ant W-M" wrote in message

Many thanks for these two useful postings. The information I really need
in addition to this is which tube line interchanges are best avoided
because of those LONG walks along tunnels. Sometimes it seems like one is
walking underground to another tube station!

In some cases, you are.

Yes, but only in some cases. Others look as though they are the result
of stupid design decisions, or perhaps thoughtless penny-pinching.

Take Green Park station, for example, where all three possible
interconnection seems to involve a very long walk and lots of stairs and
escalators. But both Victoria and Jubilee stations were built while the
system was in common ownership. It is hard to see why the Victoria line
was not placed so that it's station was directly above (or below) that
of the Piccadilly line, nor the Jubilee line station placed vertically
above (or below) the other two, so that a single escalator (and lift)
system would serve all three. This has been done, I'm glad to see, in
the Jubilee station at Westminster.

--
Clive Page
Old March 30th 05, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive Page" wrote in message
In article , Brimstone
writes

"Ant W-M" wrote in message

[...]

I'm sure there are a wide variety of reasons why the platforms were placed
where they are. I suspect geology and existing underground structures would
have been well up the list.