Old May 15th 05, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Southern doors problem and the CIS as well!!

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Spyke
writes

I'd much rather have a train with no PA and put up with that fact,
than no train at all.

[...]

However, this shouldn't be an excuse for letting a train go for weeks
without fixing the PA, obviously it should be fixed as soon as
practically possible without disrupting the service.

The trouble is that if nobody gets into trouble for running a train with
a broken PA, there's no incentive to fix it for weeks.

The answer has to be in finding the right setting for "as soon as
practically possible". I'm not saying that the present rules are
correct, but I also suspect that writing better ones is hard.

Start of the traffic day after that on which the fault is reported seems
reasonable. If it's bad enough it can't be fixed in the depot overnight, don't
put that train in service the next day.