Old April 28th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default [OT?] Building visible from the Heathrow Express

Hello everybody,

please forgive my poor English (I'm a foreigner) and
a possible OT.

I'm trying to identify a building that I caught a glimpse of
from a train on my last trip to London and I'd like to visit
on my next; I'd be very grateful if anyone could help.

I was on the Heathrow Express on my way to the airport;
after the train passed through the Hanwell & Eltorne (?) station,
I saw a short distance North of the railway (= to the right) a
tall tower peak above the trees of a wood or park;
it looked like a church tower.

Could that be the church of St. Mary, Church Rd., Hanwell?

How could I get there by train, since the Heathrow Express
does not stop at that station?

TIA

--
Gnomo
(...any way the wind blows...)

Old April 28th 05, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Gnomo wrote:
Hello everybody,

please forgive my poor English (I'm a foreigner) and
a possible OT.

I'm trying to identify a building that I caught a glimpse of
from a train on my last trip to London and I'd like to visit
on my next; I'd be very grateful if anyone could help.

I was on the Heathrow Express on my way to the airport;
after the train passed through the Hanwell & Eltorne (?) station,
I saw a short distance North of the railway (= to the right) a
tall tower peak above the trees of a wood or park;
it looked like a church tower.

Could that be the church of St. Mary, Church Rd., Hanwell?

How could I get there by train, since the Heathrow Express
does not stop at that station?

It certainly sounds like the church that you're describing.

There are trains from Paddington that stop at all stations along that route.
Taking one of these will allow you to alight at Hanwell Station.

If you then come out of the station on the north side and turn right you
will arrive at a junction with Church Road. Turn left and follow that road
(being careful not to follow the main road into Greenford Avenue) and you
will arrive at the church.

Old April 28th 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote ...
Could that be the church of St. Mary, Church Rd., Hanwell?

It certainly sounds like the church that you're describing.

[cut]

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

--
Gnomo
(...any way the wind blows...)

Old April 28th 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Gnomo" wrote in message

Could that be the church of St. Mary, Church Rd., Hanwell?

What is special about it?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 28th 05, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Gnomo" wrote in message

Could that be the church of St. Mary, Church Rd., Hanwell?

What is special about it?

Fred Secombe, author and brother of the late lamented Harry was Rector.
http://www.welshpedia.co.uk/wiki/wal...p/Fred_Secombe

Old April 28th 05, 06:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote
Could that be the church of St. Mary, Church Rd., Hanwell?

What is special about it?

.... nothing that I know, really - I simply liked the look of the tower
and I'd just like to go and see the building from close up.

By searching maps of the area I guessed it should be that church,
but I needed confirmation.

It's all just out of curiosity - thank you all for your help.

--
Gnomo
(...any way the wind blows...)

Old April 28th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Gnomo
writes
"John Rowland" wrote
Could that be the church of St. Mary, Church Rd., Hanwell?

What is special about it?

... nothing that I know, really - I simply liked the look of the tower
and I'd just like to go and see the building from close up.

There's some information about it at ...

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...p?compid=22345

The current building dates from 1841, but there has been a church on the
site from at least the 12th century.

Perhaps the most significant thing about the church is that it is an
early work of George Gilbert Scott, who later designed the Albert
Memorial, St Pancras Station and Hotel, and the Foreign Office in
Whitehall. He was one of the key figures in the Gothic Revival.
--
Paul Terry
Old April 28th 05, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Building visible from the Heathrow Express

It's a very nice church in a very nice situation - could almost be set
in rolling countryside rather than London W7, especially when viewed
from the Wharncliffe Viaduct (which carries the railway over Brent
River Park there, or the "Bunny Park" as it is known locally). They say
that on her trips from London to Windsor, Queen Victoria used to
request that the Royal Train stop on the viaduct to allow her to admire
the view - although in her day, that view wouldn't have included the
rather breeze-block-like Ealing Hospital which now dominates the
picture from the south side of the viaduct. There's a very nice
thatched cottage nearby on Church Road too that looks a little out of
place somehow! The church itself nestles inside the park and there's an
animal centre where you can go and see the animals too...we used to
have to do cross-country all through the parkland when I was at school.
It's a nice area.

Old April 29th 05, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Nice cheap golf course right next door (Brent Valley) as well if you
fancy a round ....

Old May 4th 05, 10:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Gnomo
writes
"John Rowland" wrote
Could that be the church of St. Mary, Church Rd., Hanwell?
What is special about it?

Perhaps the most significant thing about the church
is that it is an early work of George Gilbert Scott,
who later designed the Albert Memorial, St Pancras
Station and Hotel, and the Foreign Office in Whitehall.
He was one of the key figures in the Gothic Revival.

Thanks, that is special. I'm glad I asked!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Visible signs of Thameslink 2000 Rupert Candy London Transport 64 November 9th 08 10:34 PM
Old tramway visible in Streatham John Rowland London Transport 5 December 20th 04 09:42 PM
Stansted Express Train - Express ride to a missed flight Mike Delorme London Transport 8 February 28th 04 06:42 PM
District Line tunnel visible in building site on north side of Victoria Street John Rowland London Transport 1 January 31st 04 01:03 AM
Heathrow Express Mrs Moon London Transport 1 October 26th 03 10:27 PM