Old May 6th 05, 08:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default WWII Bunker

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
ups.com...
John Rowland wrote:

No. There is a law against tunnelling within a
significant area around St Pauls. AFAIK there
is no such law concerning any other building, even Big Ben.

So how did the CLR manage to get their tunnels in then?

They used the Tardis to go back in time, and then built the tunnel before
the law was introduced.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 6th 05, 08:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thats a good point really. The wierd shelter door things are on the
north side of the platform, so if they could build the tube why were
they not allowed to build to the north of it?

Old May 6th 05, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2005, Kat wrote:

lonelytraveller

wrote:

I had read that there were some shelters built under some of the
central tube stations, but that the planned one at St. Pauls was

never
actually built.

According to our duty manager, who used to work on that group, the

doors
do lead to what was going to be a shelter. He said that while the
excavating was taking place local people complained about the noise

and
got the work stopped by finding some ancient law forbidding any
tunnelling under St Paul's Cathedral.

Hang on - was this *during* the war? "Bomb shelter? No thanks, too

noisy!
We'll just sit here with these nice quiet BOMBS FALLING ON OUR

HEADS."?!?!

tom

--
The major advances in civilization are processes that all but wreck

the societies in which they occur. -- Alfred North Whitehead

As a matter of interest, was there any work done at Bethnal Green or
Oval? As I recall there might have been some done at Oval, but it was
abandoned due to water ingress.

Neill

Old May 7th 05, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 May 2005 15:47:08 -0700, "Neillw001"
wrote:

As a matter of interest, was there any work done at Bethnal Green

Abandoned due to persistent flooding.

or Oval? As I recall there might have been some done at Oval, but it
was abandoned due to water ingress.

Abandoned due to persistent flooding from unexepected water-bearing
stratum (i.e. not the buried River Effra, as per some accounts).
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old May 7th 05, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
TheOneKEA writes
No. There is a law against tunnelling within a significant area
around St Pauls. AFAIK there is no such law concerning any other
building, even Big Ben.

So how did the CLR manage to get their tunnels in then?

Because they were building under the authority of their own Act of
Parliament, and the authorities at St.Pauls would have had an
opportunity to object at the time. The shelter tunnels didn't have an
Act; they were wartime emergency work.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old May 7th 05, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I read somewhere that there was a huge cathedral sized cavern just off
the running tunnels between bethnal green and liverpool street.
Couldn't they just have built the bunker in that instead of digging
tunnels below the water table nearby?

Old May 7th 05, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

So the authority of St. Paul's outweighs any authority that the
government has, even in times of national emergency?

Old May 7th 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
lonelytraveller wrote:
So the authority of St. Paul's outweighs any authority that the
government has, even in times of national emergency?

No; the authority of parliment outweighs a mere offical (eg: a minister).

I'm not sure that's true anymore, but it was in WWII.

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver

Old May 7th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 May 2005 05:46:46 -0700, "lonelytraveller"
wrote:

I read somewhere that there was a huge cathedral sized cavern just off
the running tunnels between bethnal green and liverpool street.
Couldn't they just have built the bunker in that instead of digging
tunnels below the water table nearby?

No, because the whole point of the Deep Level Shelters is that they
were designed to be adaptable after the War as parts of the
Underground network, and "huge cathedral sized cavern(s)" - even if
they actually exist - don't fit that criteria.

Old May 7th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I had read that there were some shelters built under some of the
central tube stations, but that the planned one at St. Pauls was never
actually built.

According to "Rails Through the Clay", in 1940 deep shelter tunnels
-- either beside or below the existing tubes -- were considered at
13 stations, 11 on the Northern Line and 2 on the Central:

- plans rejected (3): Leicester Square, Mornington Crescent,
Warren Street

- construction started but abandoned (2): Oval, St. Paul's

- completed in 1942 but retained for military or other government use
throughout the war (3): Chancery Lane, Clapham Common, Goodge Street.

- completed in 1942, initially retained for military or other
government use, but opened to the public in 1944 (5): Belsize Park,
Camden Town, Clapham North, Clapham South, Stockwell.

They were built by London Transport, which had the option of taking
them over for railway use after the war. Accordingly, locations were
chosen so that if it was found desirable to construct express relief
tubes for these two lines, then the shelters could become sections of
running tunnel.

The shelters each consisted of twin 16'6" diameter tunnels 1,400 feet
long, each divided for shelter purposes into two decks, with two access
shafts. They were planned for a capacity of 9,600 per shelter at a
cost of £15 per person, or about £1,500,000 for all 10 shelters, but
eventually it was decided that only 8,000 people should be fitted into
each one, and the cost was from £35 to £42 each, or about £2,500,000
for the 8 completed shelters.
--
Mark Brader | "You read war books -- people shooting each other,
Toronto | people bombing each other, people torturing each