Old May 10th 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default WWII Bunker

In article , WHUK writes
Please excuse and forgive me if this is VERY old hat but I have been away
from the Newsgroup for a long time.

As I understand it a certain length of additional tunneling was done on the
central line way back with a view to having extra tracks. This work was
abandoned and I know one section was taken over by what was then the GPO
(BT) as an underground exchange.

That's the Chancery Lane Deep Shelter.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old May 10th 05, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:
In article , WHUK writes
Please excuse and forgive me if this is VERY old hat but I have been away
from the Newsgroup for a long time.

As I understand it a certain length of additional tunneling was done on the
central line way back with a view to having extra tracks. This work was
abandoned and I know one section was taken over by what was then the GPO
(BT) as an underground exchange.

That's the Chancery Lane Deep Shelter.

Known as 'Kingsway'. Entered, in the best spy tradition, from a bland
office frontage on High Holborn.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"We can also agree that Saddam Hussein most certainly has chemical and biolog-
Old May 11th 05, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 May 2005 12:09:59 -0700, "lonelytraveller"
wrote:

I suppose that could have been the cavern then.

Apart from the fact that it's the Chancery Lane deep level shelter,
four stations away from your fantasy cavern. It's laughable that you
are prepared to believe any old wive's tale you're told, while
whinging that, "the books don't tell you everything, only the stuff
thats [sic] obvious and everyone else knows" when it's perfectly clear
that you haven't even read many of the books in the first place.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old May 11th 05, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

lonelytraveller wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 10 May 2005:

I think other users subscribe via the medium of e-mail and so can quote
the text. I reply via google, so don't get the option.

As several people have already told you, it *is* possible via Google -
other people use Google and manage, so please read the instructions on
the Google page, and comply with them!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old May 11th 05, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JRS: In article .com
, dated Tue, 10 May 2005 12:08:26, seen in news:uk.transport.london,
lonelytraveller posted :

I think other users subscribe via the medium of e-mail and so can quote
the text.

You think incorrectly.

I reply via google, so don't get the option.

A bad workman blames his tools.

A good workman chooses suitable tools and finds out how to use them.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME ©
Web URL:http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html - Timo Salmi: Usenet Q&A.

Old May 11th 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

A good workman blames the tools if they are defective.

It is only a fool who thinks tools are 100% perfect

Old May 11th 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

its perfectly clear that you have high blood pressure

Old May 11th 05, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

lonelytraveller wrote:
A good workman blames the tools if they are defective.

It is only a fool who thinks tools are 100% perfect

The tools might not be perfect but Google Groups allows you to quote in
followups like I'm doing here.

Old May 11th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
lonelytraveller writes
its perfectly clear that you have high blood pressure

No need for high blood pressure.

There are all sorts of conventions in News (or "Usenet") postings, so
correct or at least widely observed ands some not.

But quoting text (just a reasonable amount, to give context, isn't so
much a convention or a rule as much as a way of increasing understanding
of meaning. Therefore, to make your points, it's in your interests to
do this.

Some people post via news software (not via e-mail although they can
look similar in some ways). You choose to post via Google Groups which
is arguably more cumbersome although perhaps you find it more convenient
for your needs. You can, as has been pointed out, reconfigure this to
quote and then trim that accordingly. If you don't want to do that or
are unable, then you can cut and past from the original, or at least put
headings in square brackets or symbols to give meaning or sense to
your replies.

This isn't a nag, just a bit of advice from people who use Newsgroups a
lot to help you get your meaning across.

Hope this helps.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old May 12th 05, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 May 2005 11:50:50 -0700, "lonelytraveller"
wrote:

its perfectly clear that you have high blood pressure

Which just goes to prove that your medical judgements are about as
valid as your ones about the Underground.